Thai driver's license?

13 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I have had the same thing from the UK Embassy accepted without in Chonburi DLT office, but if I were you, then it is probably best to air on the side of caution and get this done.

Seems crazy that they will not accept anything but the embassy version and that your IO will not issue one.

Yes, it does seem a bit inconsistent to me as well.  This stuff happens, with bureaucratic entities in the U.S. as well; just not as often as here, and it's in English, so I can eventually sort it out.

The problem for me is that I don't have a car, and there is virtually no public transportation between where I live and these offices in Chanthaburi. My Thai wife's sister has been taking us there when she has time, but this is only about once a month. If I had a car, I would go to these offices everyday and just camp out until everything that I needed was clear or in hand. When I try to call, I just get native Thai speakers and nothing gets accomplished.  

At some point in next 3 or 4 months I will need to visit the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok (4 hour bus ride) to get an "Income Affidavit."  I can easily get this "Residence Affidavit" at the same time.  However, the embassy and the MFA are nowhere near each other and we don't have transportation other than bus/taxi. And this is all after I find someplace to do the translation. Does the MFA and translation services do these things while you wait? If not, we could be staying in a hotel in Bangkok for 3 or 4 days $$$, before the 4 hour bus ride home...

11 minutes ago, Saltire said:

For what it's worth what I found was that not all Immigration Offices can issue (or perhaps don't feel like issuing) a Certificate of Residence, as I tried at the 2 offices near me, (Sangkhlaburi and Kanchanaburi) both told me that I would have to go to the (UK) Embassy in Bangkok. This was reinforced by a visit to the Kanchanaburi Transport and also the local one nearest to my home. Both showed me copies of previous applicants CoR from Canadian and French embassies and insisted I go to my embassy to do likewise.

I subsequently went to the UK embassy (make and appointment online - were booked solid for 3 weeks) in Bangkok and for £50 (!) was in and out in a couple of hours. 

Returning to my local transport office, watching the video, eye test, paid 205 Baht and left with a 2 year car licence.

My only real gripe is they insisted on keeping both the original copies of the CoR AND my medical certificate, which means if I need another it's off to Bangkok again.

Wow...great information!! I feel somewhat better knowing that what I'm going through may not be that unusual. One question, though. Did you need to have your embassy document translated into "Thai" for your local transport office?

Thanks for this post!! 

DH

5 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I don't think they will, but I do believe that you can elect to have it sent to you by EMS.

Thanks, I never thought of that...I guess the point of my last rant, is that I would prefer not to go through the translation/certification process unless absolutely necessary. 

Thanks for your kind suggestions and input.

DH

34 minutes ago, Saltire said:

For what it's worth what I found was that not all Immigration Offices can issue (or perhaps don't feel like issuing) a Certificate of Residence, as I tried at the 2 offices near me, (Sangkhlaburi and Kanchanaburi) both told me that I would have to go to the (UK) Embassy in Bangkok. This was reinforced by a visit to the Kanchanaburi Transport and also the local one nearest to my home. Both showed me copies of previous applicants CoR from Canadian and French embassies and insisted I go to my embassy to do likewise.

I subsequently went to the UK embassy (make and appointment online - were booked solid for 3 weeks) in Bangkok and for £50 (!) was in and out in a couple of hours. 

Returning to my local transport office, watching the video, eye test, paid 205 Baht and left with a 2 year car licence.

My only real gripe is they insisted on keeping both the original copies of the CoR AND my medical certificate, which means if I need another it's off to Bangkok again.

Wow...great information!! I feel somewhat better knowing that what I'm going through may not be that unusual. One question, though. Did you need to have your embassy document translated into "Thai" for your local transport office?

Thanks for this post!! 

DH

4 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

What about the local police station ? I heard that they also had authority to issue a residence certificate on presentation of the blue book of the house ?

It's hit and miss

Sometimes they're friendly and do one free of charge 

Sometimes they can't be bothered and tell you to go see your embassy 

A police letter will suffice tho 

They did one for me at thonglor a few years ago

Immigration is actually a "police" department too.... And In. Bkk they do them at Chang wattana and chanchury Square but they want to post it to you which is a waste of time if you need it on the spot - cheaper tho :smile:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

What about the local police station ? I heard that they also had authority to issue a residence certificate on presentation of the blue book of the house ?

The example I posted in *16 was from a Police Station.

Some Amphurs will also issue Cof R's.

• Thanks 1

OP .... I really feel sympathy for your problems. I went through a similiar farce between Immi and my local DLT when trying to register a car in my name a few years ago.

Anyway, for what it's worth, Mueang Buriram DLT will accept a Police Cert of Residence for new/renew, driver licence, and apparently there are numerous places in the Province that will do it .... not just the main DLT.

Perhaps ask your wife to find out if licences can be obtained in some other location in Chanthaburi. If yes, then a remote office might possibly accept a Police Cert of Residence. They are so much simpler to get than Immi issue.

Worth a try at least, but your wife might be pissed off at having to confront officialdom yet again. Mine would be. 555

Best of luck, and hang in there. It'll all come together eventually.

Edited by electric

@davhend25

Have you considered applying for a Tabien Baan at your local Amphoe.

You'll never need a CofR again.

Out of curiosity what documents did you provide to Immigration as proof of address.

Does your wife own the house, or do you rent?

Edited by Tanoshi

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

@davhend25

I don't think I would be eligible as our home is in my wife's name and our marriage has not yet been registered. Getting a CofR doc from my embassy is not a problem as I have to go there for an Income Affidavit anyway.  The only problem would be if the CofR needed to be translated from English into Thai.  That would be a major inconvenience as we are totally reliant on public transportation, and the U.S. Embassy and the MFA are not anywhere near close to each other.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.

The lady at the DLT didn't give you the correct information, in Thailand they don't drive on the left side of the road, they drive on either sides of the road. Hence the slight difficulties you might have. But you only have to understand that the Farang has to drive on the other side of the road, unless it is a huge sugar cane truck overtaking one of those rickety tricycles, in which case you musn't be on the road at all.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

@davhend25

Out of curiosity what documents did you provide to Immigration as proof of address.

Does your wife own the house, or do you rent?

My wife owns the house and has for about ten years. We use her blue tabien baan and I guess she swears or fills out a form (tm30 maybe) that I live there with her. That is how we set up my 90-day reports six months ago. I know that the first 90-day report, IO had her fill out 2 or 3 full page forms. Also IO wanted photocopies of her Thai ID card and Tabien baan pages. Reporting has been really easy since then.

45 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

Getting a CofR doc from my embassy is not a problem as I have to go there for an Income Affidavit anyway.  The only problem would be if the CofR needed to be translated from English into Thai.  That would be a major inconvenience as we are totally reliant on public transportation, and the U.S. Embassy and the MFA are not anywhere near close to each other.

After doing the affidavit you could walk to a nearby translation service for the translation and have them do the certification at the MFA for a small additional fee including having it sent to you by EMS.

List of  translators near the embassy (I have used the 4th one down on the list). 

https://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/translators_internet_service_photographers.pdf

You could do the income affidavit during the same trip to the embassy since immigration will accept them that are up to 6 months old.

1 hour ago, electric said:

OP .... I really feel sympathy for your problems. I went through a similiar farce between Immi and my local DLT when trying to register a car in my name a few years ago.

Anyway, for what it's worth, Mueang Buriram DLT will accept a Police Cert of Residence for new/renew, driver licence, and apparently there are numerous places in the Province that will do it .... not just the main DLT.

Perhaps ask your wife to find out if licences can be obtained in some other location in Chanthaburi. If yes, then a remote office might possibly accept a Police Cert of Residence. They are so much simpler to get than Immi issue.

Worth a try at least, but your wife might be pissed off at having to confront officialdom yet again. Mine would be. 555

Best of luck, and hang in there. It'll all come together eventually.

Thanks for your kind and helpful suggestions...I think that the province only has a DLT office in Chanthaburi City where I've already visited. I checked the DLT website and can't determine whether or not there are other offices in the province. I'll ask my wife to check online also, as she might have better luck. This whole problem could probably be solved if I could just speak to someone in English...Lol.

Thanks again, for your nice reply.

DH

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

After doing the affidavit you could walk to a nearby translation service for the translation and have them do the certification at the MFA for a small additional fee including having it sent to you by EMS.

List of  translators near the embassy (I have used the 4th one down on the list). 

https://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/translators_internet_service_photographers.pdf

You could do the income affidavit in the same trip to embassy since immigration will accept them that are up to 6 months old.

ubonjoe..this is great information!...Thank you so much. You mean that the translation company could also take care of the MFA certification, and then send it on to us in Chanthaburi? (for a fee, of course)  

19 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

You mean that the translation company could also take care of the MFA certification, and then send it on to us in Chanthaburi? (for a fee, of course)  

Yes they can do it.

I have never done the MFA part myself or wait for it to be done.

I assume you specifically want the vehicle registered in your name, otherwise there is no reason why you couldn't purchase one now in your wife's name. A US state licence is perfectly legal to use here.

I presume you've already done a little research, but just in case;

If I understand correctly your making two affidavits. One for Income, one for a certificate of residence, so you'll need to book a double appointment. You can make your appointments here:

https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=BNK&appcode=1 

You can complete and print the income affidavit here;

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/income-affidavit/ 

You can complete and print the Licence affidavit here:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/vehicle-license-affidavit/ 

DO NOT sign these until requested to do so at the Embassy.

Documents you need to bring: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/ 

Your Income affidavit is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

You will require a certificate of residence to purchase a vehicle (if you want it in your name) and to obtain a Thai driving licence.

They may want original only, not copies. If you cannot get a C of R from your Immigration office this could pose further problems in the future.

For that reason I would first download and complete the form supplied by Joe and try your IO again.

Unless you live in Bangkok or Chiang Mai you really need some form of transport here.

Walked into the Chanthaburi motor VEC. office and showed them my 90 day report along with passport/US drivers lic. and they were more than helpful just took the reaction test and vision was issued Thai lic. in about 20min. could not understand what they wanted me too do on the reaction test so the lady sat down and showed me, so I started to sit down and do it again but she said why you do I just did for you. Had a good laugh on the way home........

4 hours ago, davhend25 said:

I don't think I would be eligible as our home is in my wife's name and our marriage has not yet been registered. Getting a CofR doc from my embassy is not a problem as I have to go there for an Income Affidavit anyway.  The only problem would be if the CofR needed to be translated from English into Thai.  That would be a major inconvenience as we are totally reliant on public transportation, and the U.S. Embassy and the MFA are not anywhere near close to each other.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.

There is nothing in the Registration Act that states you have to be a home owner or married to a Thai.

I obtained my first one before I married and lived in rented accommodation.

“Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration
for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and
those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a
special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet
and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of
temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons.
The Director of Central Registration shall make profile registration for persons
without Thai nationality besides those under paragraph one in accordance with the
declaration of the Cabinet.

Civil Registration Act (2008).pdf

7 minutes ago, retiredusn said:

Walked into the Chanthaburi motor VEC. office and showed them my 90 day report along with passport/US drivers lic. and they were more than helpful just took the reaction test and vision was issued Thai lic. in about 20min. could not understand what they wanted me too do on the reaction test so the lady sat down and showed me, so I started to sit down and do it again but she said why you do I just did for you. Had a good laugh on the way home........

When you say you showed them your "90 day report" what exactly did you show them?  Was it the little receipt stub they give you at the Immigration Office, or something a little more detailed?  And was this "report" from the Chanthaburi City Immigration Office, the one in the funny looking building just about a mile down the road from the DLT motor vehicle office?  Answers to these questions would really help me.  I talked to my wife again tonight about our visit to the DLT, and she said the woman at the entry desk told her that the Chanthaburi IO would not be able to give me any document that would result in my getting a Thai Drivers License. Only a document from my embassy would suffice. Let me know these answers if you can, and thanks for the post.

8 hours ago, speedtripler said:

It's illegal to NOT get a Thai license after a certain period of time 

I think it's 3 months but could be 6 

Long time since I read the rules 

Let's take this scenario.  I get my IDL from Australia valid for one year and it states that Thailand is part of the Geneva agreement.  I only intend to drive after 7 months into my 1 year stay.  That would mean the permit would be useless because of the so called 3 month or 6 month rule that is mentioned above.  Doesn't seem reasonable.  I haven't seen any evidence suggesting that my 1 year permit isn't valid for 1 year.  I'll take it as hearsay for now regarding time limit.

My Thai insurance company says all is good for the year.  I actually called them. Some insurance companies may have a certain differing policy that is confused with people thinking it is the law.  The "law/agreement" is able to be viewed online by reading about the Geneva convention licencing agreement between countries.

But, I could be wrong. Please pass on any official websites/phone numbers/offices that show otherwise.

As for people being duped and fined by unscrupulous officers saying otherwise . I'll just accept it as life tax and move on but one officer I chatted to on the street confirmed all I had to say here.

25 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Let's take this scenario.  I get my IDL from Australia valid for one year and it states that Thailand is part of the Geneva agreement.  I only intend to drive after 7 months into my 1 year stay.  That would mean the permit would be useless because of the so called 3 month or 6 month rule that is mentioned above.  Doesn't seem reasonable.  I haven't seen any evidence suggesting that my 1 year permit isn't valid for 1 year.  I'll take it as hearsay for now regarding time limit.

My Thai insurance company says all is good for the year.  I actually called them. Some insurance companies may have a certain differing policy that is confused with people thinking it is the law.  The "law/agreement" is able to be viewed online by reading about the Geneva convention licencing agreement between countries.

But, I could be wrong. Please pass on any official websites/phone numbers/offices that show otherwise.

As for people being duped and fined by unscrupulous officers saying otherwise . I'll just accept it as life tax and move on but one officer I chatted to on the street confirmed all I had to say here.

Under the Geneva convention any licence in English is legal in Thailand.........period!

However some of the Insurance companies (in small print) only provide cover for 3 months if driving on a foreign licence.

I wouldn't take the word of an Insurance company, I'd wanting it pointing out in English where I'm indefinitely covered on a foreign licence.

Police may also have issues with a foreign licence which they cannot read, for that reason it would be good practice to carry an IDP if your only using your foreign licence.

The other benefit of obtaining a Thai licence is it's in Thai and English, so no problems with the local BIB and it can quite often be used and accepted as a form of ID. No worries about hidden little clauses in your Insurance policy either, which will invariably be in Thai and not English.

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I assume you specifically want the vehicle registered in your name, otherwise there is no reason why you couldn't purchase one now in your wife's name. A US state licence is perfectly legal to use here.

I presume you've already done a little research, but just in case;

If I understand correctly your making two affidavits. One for Income, one for a certificate of residence, so you'll need to book a double appointment. You can make your appointments here:

https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=BNK&appcode=1 

You can complete and print the income affidavit here;

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/income-affidavit/ 

You can complete and print the Licence affidavit here:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/vehicle-license-affidavit/ 

DO NOT sign these until requested to do so at the Embassy.

Documents you need to bring: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/ 

Your Income affidavit is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

You will require a certificate of residence to purchase a vehicle (if you want it in your name) and to obtain a Thai driving licence.

They may want original only, not copies. If you cannot get a C of R from your Immigration office this could pose further problems in the future.

For that reason I would first download and complete the form supplied by Joe and try your IO again.

Unless you live in Bangkok or Chiang Mai you really need some form of transport here.

That's great information! Thank you for reminding me that I will need two appointments and not just one. Am not yet to the point of buying a vehicle at this point.  Want a Thai DL first.  That is turning out to be hard enough!!  Yeah, not sure what is up with my IO. Another forum member just posted that he walked into the Chanthaburi DLT with just his 90 day report and home DL/Passport, and walked out 20 minutes later with a Thai DL. I posted some questions to him which he hasn't replied yet, but I think there is only one DLT office in Chanthaburi. If is post is accurate then it looks like I just ran into the wrong person last week at the entry desk. Although I must admit, the woman we dealt with seemed like someone in charge, like a manager or supervisor. My Thai wife said this woman was adamant about me needing a doc from my embassy in order to get a DL.  She said that the local IO, down the road, would not be able to give me anything that would substitute for the embassy doc she wanted.  Anyway, waiting to here back from this other forum member on just what it was that he gave them to get his license, and if it was, in fact, the same DLT I was turned away from. Thanks for your very informative post, and yes, I agree fully...we need a car for sure!  

7 hours ago, davhend25 said:

That's great information! Thank you for reminding me that I will need two appointments and not just one.

To do the affidavits one appointment will be enough.

Two would be needed if you were doing a 2 different services. For example a affidavit and a passport application.

27 minutes ago, retiredusn said:

My reply too all is "Do not read into anything just go by yourself and ask, I am married to a yank and only rent a vec. from my landlord."

When you say you showed them your "90 day report" what exactly did you show them?  Was it the little receipt stub they give you at the Immigration Office, or something a little more detailed?  And was this "report" from the Chanthaburi City Immigration Office, the one in the funny looking building just about a mile down the road from the DLT motor vehicle office?  Did you have a current International Driving Permit?   Answers to these questions would really help me.  I talked to my wife again tonight about our visit to the DLT, and she said the woman at the entry desk told her that the Chanthaburi Immigration Office would not be able to give me any document that would result in my getting a Thai Drivers License. Only a document from my embassy would suffice. I was totally denied the process of getting a Thai Drivers License. Let me know these answers if you can, and thanks for the post.

45 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

To do the affidavits one appointment will be enough.

Two would be needed if you were doing a 2 different services. For example a affidavit and a passport application.

Thanks, ubonjoe. I wasn't sure about that. Do you think that I have to get my American driver's license translated too? It's in English, of course.

10 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

Thanks, ubonjoe. I wasn't sure about that. Do you think that I have to get my American driver's license translated too? It's in English, of course.

Not sure about the translation of your driver's license. I think it can vary from office to office.