Thai driver's license?

2 minutes ago, transam said:

If you have a claim against you then I hope you asked them to put it in writing that you are covered for any period of time with an IDP. But, if you are driving over the 90 days you will still be accountable to the BiB...

Yes, I'll try and get emails and written documents.  I've been lazy with that because I kind of figure that even with the written hard black and white proof, it's worth not much without consumer protection backing me up.

I'll either get an officer that works with me or against me.  I don't think I can influence which I get.

I just hope I get the officer that I spoke to already confirming my information regarding IDL.

Some officers spoken to on the street are up for a chat. Some not.

3 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Please join in and let's try and find the official rule of law. 

Probably could be found online in Thai language. Anybody who reads Thai fluently want to take on the project with me?

This will take time ladies and gents. Let this fact finding mission continue......

If you want to continue the discussion it should be done on the correct forum and certainly not this topic since it is off topic.

This is the correct forum. https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/78-thailand-motor-forum/

Just now, ubonjoe said:

If you want to continue the discussion it should be done on the correct forum and certainly not this topic since it is off topic.

This is the correct forum. https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/78-thailand-motor-forum/

Agreed, Anyone interested in IDL, I'll be shifting over to above mentioned.

stud signing over and out.

10 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I will try and find Thai law or confirmations of rules with the authorities.  I'll visit the city hall, police stations around town and the transport office for a start.

Please join in and let's try and find the official rule of law. 

Probably could be found online in Thai language. Anybody who reads Thai fluently want to take on the project with me?

This will take time ladies and gents. Let this fact finding mission continue......

Or you could just, go get a Thai license and cancel the crusade.... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I've tried. I don't recommend it.

Unfortunately, I now kind of feel the same way....I've heard so many inconsistent accounts of DLT office experiences from people walking in and practically being handed a Thai DL, to people like me who can't seem to get it done without a 4 hour bus rides to Bangkok.  And still with no guarantee that even that will do it. Stay tuned!! 

8 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

Unfortunately, I now kind of feel the same way....I've heard so many inconsistent accounts of DLT office experiences from people walking in and practically being handed a Thai DL, to people like me who can't seem to get it done without a 4 hour bus rides to Bangkok.  And still with no guarantee that even that will do it. Stay tuned!! 

As requested, All can go here now if interested in International Driver Permit

5 hours ago, Saltire said:

Hi No Thai translation needed for the transport office. Mine was in English and the two samples she gave me were in English/French for the Canadian one and French for the French one.

NB For the CoR at the UK embassy they would not take my Thai-only rental agreement (land is in g/f brother's name) but thankfully they accepted half a dozen delivery notes from Lazada which had the home address identical to the blue book. When i gave them the house contract they astutely pointed out ' this is in Thai'.

Glad to help. I think being in the sticks has advantages sometimes, but not always, as you soon find out!

Thank you so much for this valuable information!  This verification of residence seems to be the roadblock for everything that I want/need to do to live here in Thailand.  My Thai wife, who owns her own townhouse, and who fills out document after document to the effect that I live here with her; wants to buy a home in Pattaya where she and her family are originally from.  Good luck with that when I can't even get a drivers license...Lol.  And why, if the Chanthaburi IO accepts my address for my 90-day reports, would the Chanthaburi DLT not accept my address for the DL?????  

Interesting that you bring up "Lazada."  I have probably purchased over a hundred items from them since I arrived here about a year ago.  I've often thought about carrying some of the delivery receipts around for the same purpose that you used them for.  Now, maybe I will.  

Thanks, again, friend for your kind and helpful information.

DH

• 1 year later...

(I'll bump this thread for a question; sorry if it's already been asked and answered.)

My Farang friend lives in Nakhon Sawan Province and will soon need to renew his driver's license.  He went to the office and they told him a "Yellow Book" was prerequisite -- no exceptions!  Is this correct?  Or just a special rule for that particular DMV?  (I've renewed my license several times in another province, and always needed just a letter from U.S. Consulate.  Is it the same rejection of Consular Income Affadavits that now carries over to the Driver's Proof of Residence?  I just renewed my own license a few months ago so will be good for several years.)

So he tried to apply for a Yellow Book at his District Office and was told he'll need birth certificate.  Both passport and birth certificate must be translated into Thai.  Is this normal for Yellow Books?

5 minutes ago, singburisam said:

(I'll bump this thread for a question; sorry if it's already been asked and answered.)

My Farang friend lives in Nakhon Sawan Province and will soon need to renew his driver's license.  He went to the office and they told him a "Yellow Book" was prerequisite -- no exceptions!  Is this correct?  Or just a special rule for that particular DMV?  (I've renewed my license several times in another province, and always needed just a letter from U.S. Consulate.  Is it the same rejection of Consular Income Affadavits that now carries over to the Driver's Proof of Residence?  I just renewed my own license a few months ago so will be good for several years.)

So he tried to apply for a Yellow Book at his District Office and was told he'll need birth certificate.  Both passport and birth certificate must be translated into Thai.  Is this normal for Yellow Books?

'Yellow Book was a pre-requisite'.... either something lost in translation, the DLT showed your friend a yellow book as an example of proof of residence, OR, the Staff at the DLT are a bit dim and are of the belief that they can only accept a Yellow Book as proof of residence....  

The latter is a common issue in Thailand where someone in a position of decision making power doesn't fully understand the rules but insists their version is followed. 

IF your friend turns up with an Affirmation of Residence this 'should be accepted' if the staff at the DLT reject this perhaps your friend can ask for a supervisor etc until they find someone who does know the rules. Better still, carry with you a Thai version of the required documentation to show them. 

About the Yellow Book application  - I've no idea.

Thanks for the info.  I informed my friend but too late: he has already paid ฿800 in advance to a translation service to have his birth certificate translated, so may as well just get the Yellow Book.

I hope this doesn't turn into another boondoggle.  He's not 100% sure whether the translator has the special Authorized Translator authorization stamp or whatever it is; and Yellow Books may require more rigmarole: a home visit, etc.

6 hours ago, singburisam said:

Thanks for the info.  I informed my friend but too late: he has already paid ฿800 in advance to a translation service to have his birth certificate translated, so may as well just get the Yellow Book.

I hope this doesn't turn into another boondoggle.  He's not 100% sure whether the translator has the special Authorized Translator authorization stamp or whatever it is; and Yellow Books may require more rigmarole: a home visit, etc.

Depends on the District Office he uses as to the documents necessary for Yellow House Book. Most offices require an embassy verified (affidavit) copy of passport information page as well as birth certificate. These then need to be translated by an approved translator and then stamped by MFA in Bangkok. It took me a bout two weeks to get all the documents together in Bangkok. Some translation offices will do the translations and get MFA stamps for a fee (usually 1500-1800 baht) and mail them to a home address.

• 1 year later...
On 2/19/2018 at 4:54 PM, ubonjoe said:

It seems all immigration did was have your wife do a TM30 form and gave you the receipt for it. That is not enough to get a driver license.

They should of done a certificate of residency.  Perhaps go back to immigration and show them this application form for it. Application For Certificate Of Residency  You will need two photos to get the certificate.

The income affidavit does not need to be stamped by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA.

The proof of address affidavit would have to be translated to Thai and the translation certified by the Department of Consular Affairs.

On 2/19/2018 at 4:54 PM, ubonjoe said:

It seems all immigration did was have your wife do a TM30 form and gave you the receipt for it. That is not enough to get a driver license.

They should of done a certificate of residency.  Perhaps go back to immigration and show them this application form for it. Application For Certificate Of Residency  You will need two photos to get the certificate.

The income affidavit does not need to be stamped by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA.

The proof of address affidavit would have to be translated to Thai and the translation certified by the Department of Consular Affairs.

Does anyone know if immigration still do those residency certificates (and if they are still accepted by the driving license offices)?

I talked with my immigration in Ubon a few months back and they said it isn't their job to do that and that the tourist police are supposed to do the residency certificates.

Now I am living in Bangkok and when I went to the big driving license place at Chatuchak they said the only 2 options for residency proof are: work permit or residency certificate from my own embassy (and she showed me examples from Pakistan Embassy, US Embassy etc. etc.) and told me to come back when I have that.

Edited by 2009

43 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Does anyone know if immigration still do those residency certificates (and if they are still accepted by the driving license offices)?

They still do them but some only if you do long stay extensions and 90 day reports to them. Chaeng Wattana immigration will only do one if you are doing 90 day reports to them.

If not doing 90 day reports to CW getting one from your embassy is the only option you have.

43 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I talked with my immigration in Ubon a few months back and they said it isn't their job to do that and that the tourist police are supposed to do the residency certificates.

The drivers license office provides a form instead of wanting a certificate of residency and the tourist police will sign and stamp them. I think it is that way in few other provinces.

Got lucky with the timing of this topic!  In the next few hours I'm headed to the Ubon tourist police for my residency certificate to renew my drivers license.  Do the tourist police have the form the DLT requires for residency confirmation?  If not, can I download it somewhere online?  I live in a village far away from the DLT offices - it would help to get it online.

BTW - Thank you Ubonjoe for all your guidance throughout the years.  I find your advice quite valuable!

33 minutes ago, hosser2000 said:

Got lucky with the timing of this topic!  In the next few hours I'm headed to the Ubon tourist police for my residency certificate to renew my drivers license.  Do the tourist police have the form the DLT requires for residency confirmation?  If not, can I download it somewhere online?  I live in a village far away from the DLT offices - it would help to get it online.

I think you can only get it at the DLT office. The last I heard you have to make an appointment to apply for a drivers license. But if I recall correctly it only for those with Thai ID number.

There website in Thai is here. https://www.dlt.go.th/th/  The page in english still states they are not issuing licenses.

• Thanks 1

Success today with residency cert. for the purposes of drivers license renewal.  The tourist police provided the necessary forms/docs. 

One item of note: I didn't know I needed to bring Thai drivers license with me though I had my car DL with me anyway.  In and out in about 10 minutes and only 200 THB.

we will see what happens tomorrow with drivers license renewal at DLT.