Cracked Water Tank Lid

stubuzz

I worked auto body on every type of Vehicle even housing vents. As long as it isn't a shitty blue PVC tank (which it isn't) you can get fiberglass to stick for 10 or more years to that type of material. But the trick is in your prep work. It needs to be fully sanded & with some kind of wax & de- greaser to get all the dust & debris out of the cracks. (available in any body shop or paint shop) You possibly could use some other de-greaser but You would have more peace of mind using a professional grade for a little baht more. I have even gotten fiberglass to work in Boat surfaces that wasn't recommended that lasted 15 years getting pounded by high waves.But the key is getting the surface nice & straight no chips & making certain it is really clean before applying  the glass mat & resin. Do it in the shade for better results so it won't bubble or turn brittle. Some times manufacturers just assume you have no talent so they tell you to not try it.

If you aren't into doing the actual glass layup part I found in Thailand it is cheaper to take the lid to your nearby Wat when they are doing the Buddah repairs or new cast with fiberglass . That way you just have to wait till they are ready & do the wax & de-greaser right before & have them apply the mat & resin. Once it hardens take it home & sand it smooth & paint . I have had a couple jobs that they were willing to smooth it out if I left it overnight for it to harden enough to sand. It lays up & hardens quick but you have better results waiting 1/2 a day before doing the final wax & de grease then prime & paint with automotive primer available in most Mom & Pops variety shops that carry plumbing electrical etc. or Home Pro, Home Works, Home Mart  Or the like kind of shops.Again if you are using rattle cans or a paint gun sand & de-grease before applying the paint & you should good to go.Trying to just by a lid you will most likely to have whatever supplier tell you to buy a new tank.Thailand is not to great on selling any separate parts to most of their products. It sure would be nice if they were more western ,but that is how they want to make their money & obliging customers

After 14 years here I wind up making a lot of my own parts instead. Possibly another solution would be to epoxy the entire top & sand it down. Prime & paint using the same cleaning procedures.Not sure how bad the crack is but you could do that method & even epoxy a metal lid or plastic trim  from a stereo shop(car stereo shops use plastic sheets for trimming out face plates that would make a clean surface that would probably not get to beat up by the sun for 10 years or so . Personally I would try the glass. Less artistic talent needed......But it all depend how eye sweet you want it to look as it really isn't going to show unless you have a 2 story house. Good luck!  The Blue water tanks you can't fix no matter what. I tried with 5 different methods that normally will seal any crack with Zero luck . PS: if you do find a place that just sells a lid for your tank please let us know. I for sure would be interested in knowing who would accommodate.

I own a few Greentree water tanks in Buriram. Greentree is a brand from Diamond the stainless steel folks. It is easy to order just a lid from a motivated Diamond water tank dealer in Thailand. Most of the high volume water tank dealers have a P.C. for each brand of tanks. That PC can get on the phone and order exactly what you need if you have the model number number of the tank. Each water tank in Thailand, the decent brands, have a product sticker that give you and that PC all the information he or she needs to order the correct lid.  Sandstone and Everest are but two of the "series" of Green Tree plastic water tanks sold by Diamond in Thailand. The lids are different sizes depending on the design, so you taking a photo of the label is  crucial. If you get a run around where you live you can order such a lid in Buriram and have it delivered. Greentree also sell different grades of blue plastic water tanks in Thailand. 

Buriram Water Storage Tanks.JPG

Buriram 2000 lt Plastic Water Tanks.jpg

Buriram PEA Office is across from Buriram Water tanks.jpg

The label will help the OP when he goes to a Diamond Tank water dealer in Thailand. Replacement lids for major brand water tanks are easy in Buriram Isaan so it should not be a challenge in other Thailand provinces.  The DOS water storage tanks have more details than Greentree water tanks yet the representative of the water tank company can easily order the lid in Thailand. 

Buriram Sandstone Greentree water safe storage tank.jpg

Buriram GreenTree Blue rain water storage tank.jpg

Buriram GreenTree Fiberglass Water Tank Label.jpg

Buriram DOS water storage sandstone tank label.jpg

• 1 month later...

I examined some big jugs of water on display in Buriram today. I was able to communicate with these two Thai women who claim to be from the Safe water tank company. I did not press them for proof of medical testing relating to the health claims printed on the water storage tanks. 

Safe Thai women with Big Jugs in Buriram.jpg

Archived