Chinese man dies in Phuket underpass motorbike accident

webfact

Chinese man dies in Phuket underpass motorbike accident

The Phuket News

1519101178_1-org.jpg

Mr Zhang died after slamming into the pylon that holds the overhead lane lights. Photo: Kusoldharm Foundation rescue workers

PHUKET: A Chinese man died after the motorbike he was riding slammed into a structural pylon that holds the overhead lane lights at the entrance to the Darasamut Underpass last night (Feb 19)

Emergency responders from the Ruamjai Kupai Rescue Foundation were called to the scene, in front Wichitsongkram School, at 10:20pm.

Rescue workers along with Vachira Phuket Hospital medical staff arrived at the scene to find a Chinese national, named by Wichit Police as Zhang Shican, unconscious with no pulse.

Full story:  https://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-man-dies-in-phuket-underpass-motorbike-accident-66035.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-02-20

The guy must have been distracted or something, maybe he fell asleep. I once sat next to my (now ex) wife who slammed into a concrete pilon because she fell asleep. It went so fast there was nothing I could do and it was in the afternoon. Stupidly i had not listened to her when she said she was tired, i figured its afternoon and just a 20 minute drive so she would be able to manage. 

At that time i really hated driving a car in Thailand.. now I drive regularly (still dont like it in the center of BKK) but have less problems.

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

The guy must have been distracted or something, maybe he fell asleep. I once sat next to my (now ex) wife who slammed into a concrete pilon because she fell asleep. It went so fast there was nothing I could do and it was in the afternoon. Stupidly i had not listened to her when she said she was tired, i figured its afternoon and just a 20 minute drive so she would be able to manage. 

At that time i really hated driving a car in Thailand.. now I drive regularly (still dont like it in the center of BKK) but have less problems.

More difficult to fall asleep riding a bike than it is driving a car.

Maybe he was hesitating between going into the tunnel (not allowed for bikes) and taking the road across the intersection?

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Maybe he was hesitating between going into the tunnel (not allowed for bikes) and taking the road across the intersection?

You know that road I don't.. your explanation also sounds logical. I never get it why so many tunnels and flyovers are off limit for bikes. If anything cars block traffic not bikes and most bikes go fast enough. We got the same foolish rules here in BKK. Its so bad that one flyover near me it is permitted to go on it one way.. but not the other. 

I can understand that they don't want those small moving modified bikes (food carts) on flyovers and so on as they do cause congestion but normal bikes... foolish, elitist. 

Edited by robblok

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

driving and google map...here you go.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

You know that road I don't.. your explanation also sounds logical. I never get it why so many tunnels and flyovers are off limit for bikes. If anything cars block traffic not bikes and most bikes go fast enough.

Most bikes do, but many do not.

I guess the main problem is that most tunnels and flyovers only have 1 lane. And motorbikes and cars sharing a lane spells disaster in Thailand (which is why they should always be on the left).

Another problem here on phuket is that the middle lane and the passing lane go into the tunnel while the "slow lane" stay above ground. Motorbikes will need to go from emergency lane on the utmost left across one lane to reach the road going into the tunnel. That is a dangrous thing ro do given the speed differences and driving skills of most. Same when coming out, all of a sudden they are on the middle of the road needing to cross a lane to go back to the left where they belong.