- the kid has his father's family name

- the father is written on the kid's certificate birth
- ‎the fatherhood has been legitimized at the amphur
- ‎the kid is 7 years old
- ‎the mother agrees to give the sole custody to the father

(Chiang Mai)

• 2 weeks later...

Not one bite.  Pity.

I am doing exactly this as I have the same situation.  I found through a referral a British/Thai lawyer. I'm not sure if he is a Barrister in England but he is a lawyer here.

I just got an email from him this evening, to wit: 

It seems a court appearance not require but the Laksi district office.

According to your case, I have to

1. collect all necessary papers and more information from you
2. prepare divorce agreement (TH/ENG)
3. prepare Thai Will (TH/ENG)
4. prepare POA (TH/ENG)
5. certify 2 ,3 and 4. as notarial services attorney.
6. accompany you to the district office to complete divorce registration and obtain child sole custody.

anything else?

Please suggest otherwise.

______________________END

So with all the people here who said a court must become involved, they were wrong.  #4 is my addon so my X in America can come and get my son should I die.  POA is power of attorney, which I will give her for my health decisions as well.  English translations will be necessary to get things such as USA passport without 2nd parents signature.

I haven't gotten a cost yet, but it looks simple enough.  

13 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

Not one bite.  Pity.

I am doing exactly this as I have the same situation.  I found through a referral a British/Thai lawyer. I'm not sure if he is a Barrister in England but he is a lawyer here.

I just got an email from him this evening, to wit: 

It seems a court appearance not require but the Laksi district office.

According to your case, I have to

1. collect all necessary papers and more information from you
2. prepare divorce agreement (TH/ENG)
3. prepare Thai Will (TH/ENG)
4. prepare POA (TH/ENG)
5. certify 2 ,3 and 4. as notarial services attorney.
6. accompany you to the district office to complete divorce registration and obtain child sole custody.

anything else?

Please suggest otherwise.

______________________END

So with all the people here who said a court must become involved, they were wrong.  #4 is my addon so my X in America can come and get my son should I die.  POA is power of attorney, which I will give her for my health decisions as well.  English translations will be necessary to get things such as USA passport without 2nd parents signature.

I haven't gotten a cost yet, but it looks simple enough.  

Your case is for getting sole custody with a divorce it is a different procedure for an unmarried couple

For un uncontested divorce it can be done at an Ampure and custody can be sorted out at the same time

For an unmarried person it has to go through the Children's court with a recommendation from the Children's Welfare

3 hours ago, offset said:

Your case is for getting sole custody with a divorce it is a different procedure for an unmarried couple

For un uncontested divorce it can be done at an Ampure and custody can be sorted out at the same time

For an unmarried person it has to go through the Children's court with a recommendation from the Children's Welfare

That is correct.  I am listed as Father on the birth certificate and I have Ampur marriage documents. No upcountry wedding, just the ampur.

2 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

That is correct.  I am listed as Father on the birth certificate and I have Ampur marriage documents. No upcountry wedding, just the ampur.

Haha Tony, I think the point is that this thread is about the OP and he is not married therefore he will have to go through the court process using a lawyer and interpreter.

2 minutes ago, happylarry said:

Haha Tony, I think the point is that this thread is about the OP and he is not married therefore he will have to go through the court process using a lawyer and interpreter.

Haha?  I am just stating a fact.  What's so funny about that?

I may also go the court route as it is much more final and accepted by both governments.  The lawyer quoted me 63,000b not inclusive of government fees.  That seems high to me.