Criminal record check for return to the UK

I am about to return to the UK after about 20 years in Thailand.

I will be looking for job and will need a Criminal Record Check from the RTP.

Apparently you need a work permit or a job offer to get it (I have not and cannot get either). Has anyone done this, and is the WP or job offer thing enforced?

23 minutes ago, overherebc said:

To be honest I am confused here. As a UK national returning home to UK where does the idea of a work permit and police report come from.

He was thinking he needed a work permit to apply for the police clearance certificate.

He wants the police clearance that might be required to apply for a job in the UK after he returns. Easier to get while here verses doing it from the UK.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A work permit or job offer is not required. They do mention a letter requesting it from an embassy and etc but I think they might do it with an explanation as to why you want iit.

See: http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eng/

Also this file. http://pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/filedownload/infomation-service-4.pdf

Thanks Joe, I'll give it a try next week, not far away to do it at Rama I.

A lawyer can/will do it, but they want about 10k Baht (half of which is quoted as "Government fees"?). I think the RTP want 100 Baht.

2 hours ago, krabi local said:

It’s most unusual for English companies to ask for a Police record check.  This is normally only requested if working with Children or in healthcare.

What job have you applied for or are you just speculating that you may need one ?

I Was a Taxi Driver in Liverpool, ENGLAND for 44 Years until I Semi- Retired HERE 2 Years ago, I Was thinking about going back to renew my licence this coming April I Have been told by Liverpool Licencing Authority that I MUST Get a Letter of Good Conduct for the time I Have been out of The U.K From the British Embassy HERE or they will NOT Entertain my application...And I DO Have a British Passport.....& Still have my CLEAN U.K Driving Licence !!!

Edited by Nong Khai Man
More Added
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Seems things are going OTT in UK nowadays. I could see the point of all that for a non UK person but for smeone born and raised there seems too much.

Next will be a police report from anywhere if you go on a 6 month holiday.

i think it's been standard for some time for taxi drivers and cabbies to have crbs from the UK so if you'd been out of the country for some time i can understand them wanting one from the country you were living in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

i think it's been standard for some time for taxi drivers and cabbies to have crbs from the UK so if you'd been out of the country for some time i can understand them wanting one from the country you were living in.

True, two sides to any story.

Maybe fall out from the taxi driver being release or not that's been in the news in UK lately.

Hope it all works out for the OP when he heads back.

I was asked for a letter of job offer but I showed them the contract that I had and this was not accepted. I told the police that I would have to return to Hua Hin and contact my employers and ask them to supply the letter. The officer realized this would take time and effort and suggested that I hand over 3,000Bht and I would have the certificate sent to my house within 7 days.

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Seems things are going OTT in UK nowadays. I could see the point of all that for a non UK person but for smeone born and raised there seems too much.

Uber have alot to do with all this OTT regulation in the U.K.

3 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

Uber have alot to do with all this OTT regulation in the U.K.

Agreed, although lots of jobs want the CRC.

I'm just trying to pre-empt this issue before returning to the UK, lots of prospective employers probably wouldn't want the hassle & effort of getting an overseas CRC in addition to a UK one, could mean the difference between getting the job, or not.

Edited by Andrew65

17 hours ago, overherebc said:

After living outside of the UK for so long realy does not entitle you to any financial assistance or the NHS,  So not really Ott, 

49 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

After living outside of the UK for so long realy does not entitle you to any financial assistance or the NHS,  So not really Ott, 

I think only for the first three months. If you go back and start work straight away and start paying tax and NI I can't see how you could be denied.

Slightly off-topic, but I worked in the Middle East for some years then applied for a job that was then British Nuclear Fuels (which is a government agency) - I had to be positively vetted and failed as I spent a "long" period abroad - automatic disqualification apparently. Some time ago, maybe rules have changed.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:04 PM, overherebc said:

I disagree. Taxi drivers are in a  position to behave badly and should have a clean record to do the job, just like children's nurses, police and teachers should.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I disagree. Taxi drivers are in a  position to behave badly and should have a clean record to do the job, just like children's nurses, police and teachers should.

I did later raise the point about the black cab rapist when it became clear the op was talking about taxi driving.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/02/2018 at 2:19 AM, krabi local said:

It’s most unusual for English companies to ask for a Police record check.  This is normally only requested if working with Children or in healthcare.

What job have you applied for or are you just speculating that you may need one ?

You also need clearance with a background check if you want to work in fashion or entertainment with children. A Police record check here would just be a first step to getting the certificate that verifies you.