Thai businessman buys English football team Oxford United

rooster59

Thai businessman buys English football team Oxford United

oxford.jpg

Thai businessman Sumrith 'Tiger' Thanakarnjanasuth has become the new majority shareholder and chairman of English football team Oxford United.

The takeover ends Darryl Eales's tenure as chairman, although he will remain on the club’s board.

"My ambition has always been to help the club achieve sustainable success. We have made significant progress on and off the pitch, and I believe a partner with similar ambition but greater resources will accelerate the prospect of achieving this objective, Eales told the club’s website.

"Tiger has the financial resources, high level connections in football, including with the EFL, and, critically, the passion and drive which can deliver on the club's ambitions."

Tiger said: “First of all I want to say how exciting it is to become part of Oxford United. I have been to games recently and seen the passion of the fans and the ambitious way that the whole club is set up, not just the first team but also the Academy, the Community programme and the back office structure. Darryl has such enthusiasm for the club and that really made it an easy decision to join forces and try to keep the U's moving in the right direction.”

“I am only sorry that I am unavoidably out of the country for this announcement, but I am looking forward to coming to the Northampton game on Saturday and to saying hello to the fans properly at a later date. I would just like to say to the fans now that my ambitions match, and may even exceed, theirs.

"I know many fans are anxious to know our plans for the Head Coach position. In the past few weeks, a lot of progress has been made and I have been kept fully informed. Now that I have been formally appointed as chairman, I will be looking to complete this process quickly so that we can provide further stability for the rest of the season."

This isn’t Thanakarnjanasuth’s first involvement in English football.

He was previously part of a consortium which took over Reading FC in 2014 but sold off 75 percent of the club three years later saying it was “too expensive to run”.

Thanakarnjanasuth’s business interests are in real estate and manufacturing garments for brands such as Calvin Klein, Adidas and Tommy Hilfiger.

One of Thanakarnjanasuth’s first tasks will be to appoint a new first team manager, with Oxford having sacked their previous manager Pep Clotet more than one month ago.

Former Wales international and Newcastle United, Liverpool and Manchester City forward Craig Bellamy is expected to be appointed manager early next week, BBC Sport and Sky Sports reported.

Former England and Arsenal defender Sol Campbell revealed last week he had been turned down for the role.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-24

28 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

This isn’t Thanakarnjanasuth’s first involvement in English football.

He was previously part of a consortium which took over Reading FC in 2014 but sold off 75 percent of the club three years later saying it was “too expensive to run”.

Not a great portend. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LuckyNo4 said:

Pisses me off that Thais can come to my country and buy what they like and become majority shareholders in businesses, but we cannot in their country. RECIPROCATE! 

who's got it right, Thailand or the UK

• Like 2

4 hours ago, saakura said:

What business does he own in Thailand? I mean the name of his group or company.

The one that pays no tax and the junta looks after him. You never here the rich guys in Thailand complain about the Junta Wonder why?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LuckyNo4 said:

Pisses me off that Thais can come to my country and buy what they like and become majority shareholders in businesses, but we cannot in their country. RECIPROCATE! 

Pretty much anyone from anywhere can come to the UK and buy anything they like. Thailand is more selective and has laws in place to back this up. Two different countries, two different approaches. Do you expect every other country in the world to be just like the UK?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LuckyNo4 said:

You said it mate but there are those who have sold their soles just to live here, it will not last the distance, hope the FA did it's due diligence on where the money came from

On 24/02/2018 at 6:55 AM, LuckyNo4 said:

I know a Thai guy that is piss ed of that Thai men who visit England cannot get short time with English female bar staff. RECIPROCATE?

8 hours ago, Davmaac said:

I know a Thai guy that is piss ed of that Thai men who visit England cannot get short time with English female bar staff. RECIPROCATE?

Well tell your Thai friend (porky alert) there are plenty of ways to pay for sex in UK. One of our oldest professions. We don't need no beer bars full of farmers offspring.

2 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

Well tell your Thai friend (porky alert) there are plenty of ways to pay for sex in UK. One of our oldest professions. We don't need no beer bars full of farmers offspring.

True we just get married. 

On 25/02/2018 at 1:31 AM, champers said:

Pretty much anyone from anywhere can come to the UK and buy anything they like. Thailand is more selective and has laws in place to back this up. Two different countries, two different approaches. Do you expect every other country in the world to be just like the UK?

Gimme a break, its got nothing to do with wanting every country in the world to be like the UK. Its to do with business fairness and reciprocation. 

• Like 1

On 25/02/2018 at 3:32 AM, wakeupplease said:

You said it mate but there are those who have sold their soles just to live here, it will not last the distance, hope the FA did it's due diligence on where the money came from

I've lived here in Bangkok for 20 years, wife 2 kids the lot. Its not been easy by any means but i would love to be able to run a business as a majority shareholder, buy property and land free from restrictions and do pretty much the same as what thais can in my own country. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1