Papaya plant growing a second plant normal?

LM405

A few months ago I was given a papaya that was grown in Songkhla bordering Malaysia. After eating the papaya, the seeds were saved and sun dried several days before planting them. There has been a success growing the plant but a second plant has grown as well. Is there an explanation for this? Is the plant healthy as it is or should I remove one?

One photo is of the papaya as a fruit before it was given to me. The second photo is the papaya plant that is currently growing along an additional plant.

IMG_0625 (1).JPG

IMG_8605 (1).JPG

they are already starving for nutrients, they will both likely die right before or during fruiting. Sorry to break the bad news, perhaps you can cull the second, top the tree and try manure, but papayas feed from tap root mostly, and looks like you didn’t prepare the hole deep enough

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, surfdog said:

they are already starving for nutrients, they will both likely die right before or during fruiting. Sorry to break the bad news, perhaps you can cull the second, top the tree and try manure, but papayas feed from tap root mostly, and looks like you didn’t prepare the hole deep enough

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You are right. I didn't think about that just pondered on the seed thing. Should have more branches and leaves.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

You are right. I didn't think about that just pondered on the seed thing. Should have more branches and leaves.

also trunk size is really what I look at, leaves can vary, but yeah secondary and third set of leaves on the trunk definitely mean you are doing good!  depends on how much sun they are getting.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, surfdog said:

papayas are more difficult than you think, failed with papayas for so long, but recently I got papaya trees breaking records, plan to write up a post here with some tips soon.

Look forward to that. I only plant a few, most of the better ones grow naturally from seeds thrown out after eating fruit. As my previously untended garden improves with rotting down all vegetable matter the papaya grow better.

• Like 1