Arsenal

MiG16

Id like to see Chelsea win. Have no great love of Chelsea (and I dont dislike them either). I will always support a British team if they are playing non-British. Equally I think it would be harsh on Spurs to see them out of the Champions League - I think Chelsea have ridden their luck to be where they are and that Spurs deserve to play in the CL next season more than the Blues. A part of me wants Chelsea to lose cos that might bring Mourinho back to the Premier League

Edit: I agree Yermanee; came back today (and went) with Qatar - to/from Manchester. I have liked them a lot over the last couple of years, but their staff are losing discipline. Sweet smiles on boarding and sweet FA thereafter! Soft drinks rounds and goodies are fast disappearing and their chatting at the back while the yellow lights come on is reaching Emirates and Etihad proportions. Same same BA in the early nineties. Poor management I reckon.

Edited by SantiSuk

Id like to see Chelsea win. Have no great love of Chelsea (and I dont dislike them either). I will always support a British team if they are playing non-British. Equally I think it would be harsh on Spurs to see them out of the Champions League - I think Chelsea have ridden their luck to be where they are and that Spurs deserve to play in the CL next season more than the Blues. A part of me wants Chelsea to lose cos that might bring Mourinho back to the Premier League

Edit: I agree Yermanee; came back today (and went) with Qatar - to/from Manchester. I have liked them a lot over the last couple of years, but their staff are losing discipline. Sweet smiles on boarding and sweet FA thereafter! Soft drinks rounds and goodies are fast disappearing and their chatting at the back while the yellow lights come on is reaching Emirates and Etihad proportions. Same same BA in the early nineties. Poor management I reckon.

Same old Santi eh? You'd like to see that **** Terry lift the CL cup? Unforgivable!!

Oh and love your comment regarding "the back".

Where is that then eh? I've never seen the back of a Qatar plane! laugh.png

I thought that would be where you went to blow smoke down the plughole!

No need Santi as there is a smoking room in the Premium terminal. Its at the back after you pass the restaurant, bakery, cake stand, internet station and champagne bar. tongue.png

No need Santi as there is a smoking room in the Premium terminal. Its at the back after you pass the restaurant, bakery, cake stand, internet station and champagne bar. tongue.png

Id still rather have the 500 quid or whatever than all that Smokie. Its an informed personal choice - flew club, first and concorde for many years (when clients were payingburp.gif). Still went cattle-class on holiday though - and now life is one long holiday.

Id still rather have the 500 quid or whatever than all that Smokie. Its an informed personal choice - flew club, first and concorde for many years (when clients were payingburp.gif). Still went cattle-class on holiday though - and now life is one long holiday.

sad.png Prices are such i might well be joining you soon. Meanwhile to stray back on topic....

Has RVP signed a new contract yet? whistling.gif

Rumour has it that Arsene has relented and will remove the red white and blue stripes from the 2012/13 Home Kit sleeves (laughingly attributed to a dead hero manager of yore) and replace it with orange sleeves. If that doesn't work itll be a plain orange shirt and if that doesnt work then the boy gets more salary.

Edited by SantiSuk

Rumour has it that Arsene has relented and will remove the red white and blue stripes from the 2012/13 Home Kit sleeves (laughingly attributed to a dead hero manager of yore) and replace it with orange sleeves. If that doesn't work itll be a plain orange shirt and if that doesnt work then the boy gets more salary.

In all seriousness Santi, Wenger will be trying everything to hang on to him. He's been simply outstanding this season which is of course why i want to see him in the Spanish league next term.

Nothing agreed and now he disappears into Netherlands preparations purdah. Another Nasri/Fabregas situation brewing again with no time to sort replacements before the new season. Same applies to Wenger unfortunately: by the time those who matter wake up to the fact that Arsenal are going nowhere under a manager, who continually squeaks by but in the big picture will never take us into Europe's top 5, it will be too late - probably about 2015 before the inevitable happens.

Hope I am forced to eat my words in a couple of months time. I'll relent if Arsenal management sets us up for 2013 on a basis that gives us a good shot at 2nd or 3rd and a realistic prospect of winning a trophy (other than the waste of space cup) and doing well in the CL. Needs vanP and a coupla good signings plus some fair deals for prior mistakes (Arshavin, Bendtner, Chamakh, Vela). Hell - why am I giving him the benefit of the doubt when what I describe is simply a return to prospects this time last year? Go now Wenger.

According to a Belgian newspaper Levy from Spurs is in Amsterdam to finalize Vertonghen's signing.

Another target slips from Arsenal's wish list. Would have been a good partner for Vermaelen in Arsenal's leaky defense.

However Vertonghen has a habit of dropping the silverware, there's no danger of that at Spurs tongue.png that's maybe the reason why he may sign for them.

Yermaneewai.gif

According to a Belgian newspaper Levy from Spurs is in Amsterdam to finalize Vertonghen's signing.

Another target slips from Arsenal's wish list. Would have been a good partner for Vermaelen in Arsenal's leaky defense.

However Vertonghen has a habit of dropping the silverware, there's no danger of that at Spurs tongue.png that's maybe the reason why he may sign for them.

Yermaneewai.gif

Yet we won silverware far more recently than Arsenal haven't we. smile.png

Yermaneewai.gif

I heard a rumour their captain will be off in the summer too carms. That won't do their hopes of silverware much good now will it? whistling.gif

Edited by smokie36

Yermaneewai.gif

I heard a rumour their captain will be off in the summer too carms. That won't do their hopes of silverware much good now will it? whistling.gif

Aah yes the beercup, forgot abt that one.

Didn't do KK much good either.

The captain may go, may not go. If he goes we'll just appoint a new one. Easy peasy. thumbsup.gif

What abt Harry ? How's his dog ?

Yermaneewai.gif

Yermaneewai.gif

Aah yes the beercup, forgot abt that one.

Didn't do KK much good either.

The captain may go, may not go. If he goes we'll just appoint a new one. Easy peasy. thumbsup.gif

What abt Harry ? How's his dog ?

Yermaneewai.gif

If you are referring to Rosie, she's pegged it. Since you are interested, sandra now has new dogs and when Harry comes home from a hard days tapping up, she cooks him a bacon sandwich and then they walk the dogs together.

• Like 1

8 players released by Arsenal - all from the unknown junior ranks, apart from Almunia who never got a look in during 2011/12. Fabianski is thereby presumably confirmed as Czesny's stand in and there must be a youngster in the wings for number 3. Surprise of the season for me was that Csezny did not lose us any games with his ocassional flashes of over-confidence/stupidity. Has been generally an ok PL goalkeeper (the 8-1 drubbing excepted) and could become a great stopper with age, justifying Bob Wilson's faith in him. I got that one wrong in calling for Czesny's replacement during most of last season.

[Yes Carmine - I too wish Czesny would keep his gob and his Facebook page shut!]

Slightly surprised Chamakh has not been put on the list - perhaps Arsene will look for a loan deal to see whether some other PL club down in the nether regions can find his lost spark. Otherwise I guess he can be kept and tried out some more in the dogend cup.

8 players released by Arsenal - all from the unknown junior ranks, apart from Almunia who never got a look in during 2011/12. Fabianski is thereby presumably confirmed as Czesny's stand in and there must be a youngster in the wings for number 3. Surprise of the season for me was that Csezny did not lose us any games with his ocassional flashes of over-confidence/stupidity. Has been generally an ok PL goalkeeper (the 8-1 drubbing excepted) and could become a great stopper with age, justifying Bob Wilson's faith in him. I got that one wrong in calling for Czesny's replacement during most of last season.

[Yes Carmine - I too wish Czesny would keep his gob and his Facebook page shut!]

Slightly surprised Chamakh has not been put on the list - perhaps Arsene will look for a loan deal to see whether some other PL club down in the nether regions can find his lost spark. Otherwise I guess he can be kept and tried out some more in the dogend cup.

I'm not sure but I heard a rumor that there's some bad blood between RVP and Chamakh. Would explain a lot if true. I for one cannot believe that a player all of sudden loses all his abilities upon the return of another.

Yermaneewai.gif

If Chamakh was to leave wouldn't that leave them with only one forward 39.gif

Not if Podolski is signed, but who knows outside the inner circle. Theres always Bendtner of course! Even the little Russian is still technically on our books I believe.

Im sure Wenger can come up with a last minute signing/loan-in or two - seems to be the pattern in North London football these days.

Who needs forwards these days anyway - everyones an attacking midfield player in most of the big teams nowadays it seems. Some just happen to be labelled striker and some full back

Not if Podolski is signed, but who knows outside the inner circle. Theres always Bendtner of course! Even the little Russian is still technically on our books I believe.

Im sure Wenger can come up with a last minute signing/loan-in or two - seems to be the pattern in North London football these days.

Who needs forwards these days anyway - everyones an attacking midfield player in most of the big teams nowadays it seems. Some just happen to be labelled striker and some full back

Yes exactly, that one forward is Podolski, Van Persil is off aint he 4.gif

Honestly, I think Van Persie is too good for our current squad. He probably knows this, & will use it towards his advantage in contract talks w/ Wenger and Gazidis.

It was quite a blow losing Fabregas, Clichy, then Nasri last year. If Wenger is a bit more organized and doesn't have to rush his signings, we'll have a better chance at the start of the season. Who is going to provide goals if V. Persie does leave ? ?

Honestly, I think Van Persie is too good for our current squad. He probably knows this, & will use it towards his advantage in contract talks w/ Wenger and Gazidis.

It was quite a blow losing Fabregas, Clichy, then Nasri last year. If Wenger is a bit more organized and doesn't have to rush his signings, we'll have a better chance at the start of the season. Who is going to provide goals if V. Persie does leave ? ?

TBA (let's hope management has some clue who TBA might be). I imagine the conmversation went a bit like this.

RvP: You know I love Arsenal but we are not winning trophies. What's the plan for next year?

Gazidis: We've got this great German striker - he played in the German national team you know.

RvP: So did Mertesacker and the guy can't defend for toffee. I only scored all those goals because someone had to compensate for all the goals he was leaking. What else?

Gazidis: well you have seen that Arsene has said that we will make a couple of appointments over the summer but we don't need to do a great deal - this is a wonderful team and Wojech Cszesny believes we can win the title next year.

RvP: Yes but he's a gobby clown. No way can we win anything other than that grotty League Cup thing with Podolski and a couple of non-spoecific replacements:

Gazidis: Oh come on now Robin, this is a great club with a great history

RvP: I'm only interested in the future:

Gazidis: [embarassed silence]

RvP: OK I'll see you in mid July and give you my answer then

Gazidis: But Robin we haven't talked money yet

RvP: Money's not the issue

Gazidis: Now I'm sorry Robin, but I'm going to have to press you for a much quicker answer than that. You know Arsene is no good at building teams with 3 weeks notice

RvP: OK - I'm off

Gazidis: Robin - No - please

RvP: No - I mean I'm off to training in Holland

Gazidis: Oh good - I'll see you in July - make it August. I'm so glad we had this conversation.

[All my own fiction but I wonder how far off the truth it is]

• Like 2

555... he wouldn't have called Wenger a Clown in front of his face... 555

I do think we have a pretty good team as is. They don't play the beautiful, flowing game we had during the 2010/2011 season, but they're still good. It would be great if Gervinho found his form, as well as Arshavin. This could mean a lot of goals. Koscielny did well on the back line: we need Vermaelen and Mertesacker to stay fit, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Fernando Llorente and Lucas Biglia hint at moves to Arsenal according to rumour in 'The week'.

I'll wait to see what develops before commenting further. Presumably not much will happen until vanP decides his and our future. If it's to be a Spaniard I wish it was Falcao who wanted to come - reminds me a bit of Charlie George - fast strong and aggressive but also difficult to mark and has good technical skills.

Edited by SantiSuk

Fernando Llorente and Lucas Biglia hint at moves to Arsenal according to rumour in 'The week'.

I'll wait to see what develops before commenting further. Presumably not much will happen until vanP decides his and our future. If it's to be a Spaniard I wish it was Falcao who wanted to come - reminds me a bit of Charlie George.

Is Falcao spanish?

I'll wait to see what develops before commenting further. Presumably not much will happen until vanP decides his and our future. If it's to be a Spaniard I wish it was Falcao who wanted to come - reminds me a bit of Charlie George.

Is Falcao spanish?

Good spot!

And to answer Carmine's question about where would vanP be headed, here in the appropriate thread ....

That's a good question to which there is no obvious answer, unless you believe Arsenal would sell him to the highest bidder, which would presumably be any of Chelsea, Man Utd or Man City in that order of obvious need (MC, Chelsea and ManU if it comes to a wallet fight).

I can't see RM needing him in view of Benzema's current form. Barca? Maybe - but Villa is injured, so Arsenal wouldn't take him in a swap deal even if they wanted to step up to his wages. Bayern - possibly, as Riberry is getting on a bit (and he's Frog-speaking, so maybe le professeur might be tempted). Italian club? Their domestic game is shot to shit economically (have you seen all those empty spaces on the terraces?) Not high profile enough and none of them are likely to win the CL within 3 years. Difficult to see where a lad who would like to write his name in legend can guarantee doing that.

My best guess would be Man U will dig deep and Wenger will relent on the UK competitive angle (Nasri stayed in the EPL). VanP seems to be a refreshingly uncomplicated bloke, which would attract Fergie and its one of the two elite clubs that has Arsenal-like values (Barca being the other). Only problem being that both Rooney and vanP don't make natural partners - both like to play as the lead front man but roving in nature. I hope that Wenger would resist taking the little Mexican in part swap. I can't see Man City going for him with Balotelli apparently retained and Aguero being a fantastic striker; but with their limitless cash/sweety shop approach no doubt here will be interest from them.

On the other hand, it's still 50/50 that he moves at all - keeping him could be driven by more money, another couple of good signings and a realistic look at who else can use him as a first choice striker in a way that brings fame and trophies.

Buying Podolski as vanP's replacement - yer avin a larf Carmine! I'd sell my season ticket (hang on I don't have one) if I thought sir was going to replace a 50mil euro player (call it 45m - he still has a robustness question mark) with a 20 mil one and pocket the change for the owners.

Another likely outcome - call me Mr glass half empty - vanP gets injured in the Euros and its a whole new ball game!