Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

59 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Thanks …. but if you are unaware of the particular comment that I objected to, you either did not see it before its deletion, or you are lacking in awareness, and I hope and suspect that it is not the latter.

Please understand that I did not claim that being offended made me right, however, I do have the right to be offended.

I have also become aware of an even more disturbing trend on this thread than taking offence; it is the support that some posters are giving to others simply because they are in agreement with the way they voted in the referendum, regardless of how crass and distasteful their comments might be. It is indeed rather sad if anyone is prepared to give primacy to their political views over their sense of decency in this respect. I sincerely hope that you are not falling victim to this trap, although I notice that you ask why I want to drag it out over pages and pages, rather than why we, want to.

Stephen Fry can say whatever he likes from his £3k a night rehabilitation bed, but I will retain my right to be indignant, whenever I feel that anyone has said something offensive, as I believe  the other poster has

QUOTE: Stephen Fry can say whatever he likes from his £3k a night rehabilitation bed,

A fine example of what some people would find offensive!

But then again, you were already aware of this.

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: Stephen Fry can say whatever he likes from his £3k a night rehabilitation bed,

A fine example of what some people would find offensive!

But then again, you were already aware of this.

Nurse ......NURSE.........BEDPAN PLEASE.....

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

I don't think you are correct there.

WW1 started with the asassination of Arch Duke Ferdinand and a chain of events led to WW1.

August 4, 1914 - Germany invades Belgium, leading Britain to declare war on Germany.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/59782/how-did-the-first-world-war-start

The Austria-Hungary government penned an ultimatum to Belgrad after the assassination which was so worded as to be unacceptable to any state but the PM Pasic accepted with only one small exception, this was well received by the international community but the Ambassador for Austria -Hungary, Baron von Giesl in Belgrade broke off diplomatic relations and left for Vienna, 3 days later Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia who was allied to Russia but Austria hoped for a quick victory before Russia could intervene, this didn't happen so Germany who allied to Austria was pulled into the fray. One could say that the Austrian ambassador caused WW1. 

35 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The Austria-Hungary government penned an ultimatum to Belgrad after the assassination which was so worded as to be unacceptable to any state but the PM Pasic accepted with only one small exception, this was well received by the international community but the Ambassador for Austria -Hungary, Baron von Giesl in Belgrade broke off diplomatic relations and left for Vienna, 3 days later Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia who was allied to Russia but Austria hoped for a quick victory before Russia could intervene, this didn't happen so Germany who allied to Austria was pulled into the fray. One could say that the Austrian ambassador caused WW1. 

I think it's important to consider the underlying causes rather than just the trigger point

This is an excellent book. Intellectual but easy reading

In fact Germany felt trapped between Russia who were militarising rapidly (building railways to the West) and a sabre rattling France with a huge army. They had a military alliance. Germany asked Belgium for permission to march through Belgium with guarantees. The UK was a bystander to all this. Of course the British Queen, the Russian Tzar and the German Kaiser were all close family and in contact with each other continuously. Who to blame? Read the book, but I think the French. Britain should have stayed out.

IMG_2680.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vogie said:

No you didn't dream it, you are thinking of another poster, (Flustered) the one that got himself banned, I was REME, arte et marte not certa cito. 

We had our own flag at 'the wedding'

FB_IMG_1526794956130.jpg

My apologies sir!

Thank you for correcting me!

Did Flustered get banned rather than suspended. Must have been a heinous crime. Very frequent contributor as I recall. He should come back....

I think it's important to consider the underlying causes rather than just the trigger point

This is an excellent book. Intellectual but easy reading

In fact Germany felt trapped between Russia who were militarising rapidly (building railways to the West) and a sabre rattling France with a huge army. They had a military alliance. Germany asked Belgium for permission to march through Belgium with guarantees. The UK was a bystander to all this. Of course the British Queen, the Russian Tzar and the German Kaiser were all close family and in contact with each other continuously. Who to blame? Read the book, but I think the French. Britain should have stayed out.

IMG_2680.JPG.401c7a16c449fca2f50d16fb2dd15815.JPG

Indeed - excellent book.

Nobody’s hands were clean in this. Sir Edward Gray did a significant amount of pot stirring as well as UK Foreign Secretary at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

Time to put WW1 to bed, it is not Brexit related, although it was a helpful little exercise in just how little some people appear to know, or understand.

About 10pages back, I said that the probable next Italian Government had learnt a lot from the Brexit non--negotiations, and were adopting Policies that were putting them on a direct collision course with the EU. Despite dropping some contentious parts and Anti EU rhetoric , they were simply looking at another method of skinning a cat.

What I did not know at that time, was that their Policies were being put to the Italian electorate for approval or disapproval in an informal ballot

More than 90 percent of Italians participating in an informal ballot gave their blessing to a policy agenda from the far-right League and the 5-Star Movement, as the two parties agreed on a candidate to lead their planned coalition government.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-italy-politics-ballot/italians-back-league-5-star-plan-as-groups-ready-government-team-idUSKCN1IL07X?il=0

Another colossal headache for the EU coming up. Can they really try and deny the Italian Government and the Italian people what they have voted and elected Politicians to do ? Despite these policies being against everything that the EU stands for. 

Don't give in and the backlash from Italy will be severe, give in and the backlash from elsewhere in the EU will be severe.

Will the EU take on board any lessons from Brexit, or will the mantra continue. More EU, more EU, more EU and throw us more money in the process will fix everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

My apologies sir!

Thank you for correcting me!

Did Flustered get banned rather than suspended. Must have been a heinous crime. Very frequent contributor as I recall. He should come back....

Lets just say Flustered went out with all guns blazing. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Orac said:

Indeed - excellent book.

Nobody’s hands were clean in this. Sir Edward Gray did a significant amount of pot stirring as well as UK Foreign Secretary at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So, essentially a lot of rich people, who have no regard whatsoever for the common man, use them as fodder to further their own grandiose intentions? Oh, the irony of this being on a Brexit thread.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

That is pretty much the premise behind every major war and conflict known to man, past, present and future.

Wars and conflicts are not started by common men in the street.

I am not sure I agree with that, but that is besides the point - Brexit is a folly being pushed by rich men who want to control the UK for themselves; that is beyond doubt in my mind. The public are the (in some cases unwitting) casualties of their greed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tebee said:

But the rich and powerful know how  to channel the common man's emotions to fan the flames and add legitimacy to their cause. 

Could we stop with the presumption that everyone is a puppet on a string ?

Were the mass Anti - Vietnam demonstrations an indication of this ?

Was the mass UK demonstrations against the Iraq war an indication of this ?

But to get back to Brexit.

It woz the Russians that interfered and twisted the vote.

Oh no it wasn't

It woz Cambridge Analytica that interfered and twisted the vote.

Oh no it wasn't.

The largest demograph that voted for Brexit is the smallest demograph of social media users.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Renegade said:

Time to put WW1 to bed, it is not Brexit related, although it was a helpful little exercise in just how little some people appear to know, or understand.

About 10pages back, I said that the probable next Italian Government had learnt a lot from the Brexit non--negotiations, and were adopting Policies that were putting them on a direct collision course with the EU. Despite dropping some contentious parts and Anti EU rhetoric , they were simply looking at another method of skinning a cat.

What I did not know at that time, was that their Policies were being put to the Italian electorate for approval or disapproval in an informal ballot

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-italy-politics-ballot/italians-back-league-5-star-plan-as-groups-ready-government-team-idUSKCN1IL07X?il=0

Another colossal headache for the EU coming up. Can they really try and deny the Italian Government and the Italian people what they have voted and elected Politicians to do ? Despite these policies being against everything that the EU stands for. 

Don't give in and the backlash from Italy will be severe, give in and the backlash from elsewhere in the EU will be severe.

Will the EU take on board any lessons from Brexit, or will the mantra continue. More EU, more EU, more EU and throw us more money in the process will fix everything.

When a government is in power what they said before the election and what they do afterwards are two different things, when in power reality hits, that isn't to say that the present situation is a comfortable one for Brussels, this is worse than brexit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Could we stop with the presumption that everyone is a puppet on a string ?

Were the mass Anti - Vietnam demonstrations an indication of this ?

Was the mass UK demonstrations against the Iraq war an indication of this ?

But to get back to Brexit.

It woz the Russians that interfered and twisted the vote.

Oh no it wasn't

It woz Cambridge Analytica that interfered and twisted the vote.

Oh no it wasn't.

The largest demograph that voted for Brexit is the smallest demograph of social media users.

If propaganda has never had any influence  why is the advertising industry now one on the biggest and most profitable ones ?

• Like 1

Interesting article in the Torygraph.

The president of the CBI has hit out at politicians for talking down business and failing to champion the causes of British companies.

The negativity is harming the UK’s reputation at a vital time for its overseas image, Paul Drechsler has warned.  Political leaders too often preferred to project an unfair picture of gloom and bad behaviour, he said.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/05/19/champion-british-business-instead-talking-us-cbi-president-tells/

That is the same CBI that have been talking the UK down ever since the Referendum and crying like spoilt brats about staying in the EU.

• Like 1