Is Pattaya Safe? Or Am I Better Off In Bangkok?

dradrian

Well lads the USS Blue Ridge has just visited Hong Kong. Thousands of servicemen have hit the bar areas of town, visited prostitutes spent money and in general had a ###### good time.

There were a number of street brawls. The odd lad got rolled by the tarts, and a number of them went to pay for their round to find their wallet was no longer at home. While they were here, a number of the low lifes which plague every city stabbed each other, albeit thankfully with no gun play reported.

The difference with Pattaya ?

Well not one untoward incident made the press. On the contrary, all involved hail HK as one of the safest cities in the world.

If the same amount of crime was noted in Patters, the bashers would have a field day and threads would abound about what a shit hole Pattaya is and how ashamed all the people who live there should be.

Mmmmm

Hi suiging,

Not trying to be funny, but as a matter of interest, if it wasn't in the local press, how do you know all that? Or are you just surmising?

I'm not condoning the over the top reporting in Pattaya - Just curious :o

Mobi

Have a house in the lovely Pong where I spend as much time as I can ( hence mum at Xmas etc etc )

But earn the odd crust in HK " working for the man " as the awful American saying goes.

After twenty two years of locking up Asian bad guys, I can talk with as much authority as most on here as to the extent of the crime problems in jolly Patters.

Start with a building boom which brings down loads of lads from the sticks, who's eyes are in a constant saucer like state with the wealth on show ( Issan provides more than girls for the local economy ), throw in the dark side of Europe's young men either on their holiday or "staying" a while, top the mix off with more bars and girls than a man can handle and bingo what do you expect.

Sad part is, the whole of the area and the many decent folk who live here are tarred with the same brush by the detractors, who have only spent their time in the south side of town and never see past the obvious.

Go to any major city and hang out in the red light/bar area and see what you get.

The lovely Pong is about 14km from the seedier part of town, and there is enough going on around it to fill anyones day ( or night )

I live on the South side of Hong Kong Island, Mong Kok the Chinese local equivelent of Beach Road and Wanchai much loved by expats, are far closer. However, the average resident here would never dream of being associated with those areas and would be very offended by any fool who made the mistake of lumping them with the seedy characters who do.

Now I love the occasional stroll " down the Wanch ", much like I enjoy the odd Pattaya Bar. However, hand on heart, during the 5 1/2 weeks I have just spent in the lovely Pong, I only felt the need to remind myself of what they looked like for one evening. I hope they stay arround as they are vibrant, and make the place come alive, I just get a tad pi-ssed off by the standard of commentry and reporting that makes everyone who comes to town out to be a sex touring, child rapist and that the whole of the area puts Deadwood to shame. It's all cock.

within the first 2 pages of this forum there are 5 threads about a serious street assaults in pattaya - says something

The biggest risk seems to be with tourist/visitors who aren't aware of the dangers. Too many people are being mugged with large amounts of cash and other valuables on them....people totally oblivious to the dangers. The Japanese woman who had her handbag snatched during a midnight stroll on the beach yesterday is one prime example. She was carrying over $3000 worth of cash and valuables.

I suppose that is her fault. Silly Japanese woman, she should have left it in the hotel safe in her room. You know the kind of safe, the one where the hotel staff have a master key and it's easy to pry out with a crowbar. She could have her things stolen without getting mugged. Stupid woman - next time she will learn.

Not having travelers cheques instead of cash makes her stupid.

Pattaya is a cesspool and getting worse by the month. They are not content to rob you anymore, now they hit you with a gun, stab you or shoot you for being cooperative.

Pity they don't come to America to try their antics where they have a good chance of getting shot - by people like me.

Pity.

Cesspool - stop putting a pretty dress on it - Pattaya is a cesspool.

Mobi

Have a house in the lovely Pong where I spend as much time as I can ( hence mum at Xmas etc etc )

But earn the odd crust in HK " working for the man " as the awful American saying goes.

After twenty two years of locking up Asian bad guys, I can talk with as much authority as most on here as to the extent of the crime problems in jolly Patters.

Start with a building boom which brings down loads of lads from the sticks, who's eyes are in a constant saucer like state with the wealth on show ( Issan provides more than girls for the local economy ), throw in the dark side of Europe's young men either on their holiday or "staying" a while, top the mix off with more bars and girls than a man can handle and bingo what do you expect.

Sad part is, the whole of the area and the many decent folk who live here are tarred with the same brush by the detractors, who have only spent their time in the south side of town and never see past the obvious.

Go to any major city and hang out in the red light/bar area and see what you get.

The lovely Pong is about 14km from the seedier part of town, and there is enough going on around it to fill anyones day ( or night )

I live on the South side of Hong Kong Island, Mong Kok the Chinese local equivelent of Beach Road and Wanchai much loved by expats, are far closer. However, the average resident here would never dream of being associated with those areas and would be very offended by any fool who made the mistake of lumping them with the seedy characters who do.

Now I love the occasional stroll " down the Wanch ", much like I enjoy the odd Pattaya Bar. However, hand on heart, during the 5 1/2 weeks I have just spent in the lovely Pong, I only felt the need to remind myself of what they looked like for one evening. I hope they stay arround as they are vibrant, and make the place come alive, I just get a tad pi-ssed off by the standard of commentry and reporting that makes everyone who comes to town out to be a sex touring, child rapist and that the whole of the area puts Deadwood to shame. It's all cock.

Suiging,

I agree with everything you have said.

I too live in Pong - all year round- and the last time I went into a Pattaya bar was at the piss up at the Caddy Shack about 3 weeks ago.

However you haven't answered my question. How do you know about the crimes committed by the US Navy in Hong Kong if it wasn't reported in the local press?

You aren't in the CIA are you? :D

Just wink if you are. :o

Mobi

Suiging,

I agree with everything you have said.

I too live in Pong - all year round- and the last time I went into a Pattaya bar was at the piss up at the Caddy Shack about 3 weeks ago.

However you haven't answered my question. How do you know about the crimes committed by the US Navy in Hong Kong if it wasn't reported in the local press?

You aren't in the CIA are you? :D

Just wink if you are. :o

Dear Mobi,

Re-read the first bit and it will give you a clue what I do for a living which sadly keeps me away from the lovely PONG !!

Used to be the RHKP now HKP ( not just the R has changed.......................but that's another story )

I envy your lifestyle and on retirement, I will be sure to join you.