You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Homeland or Thailand education

As the title says where is best to educate our kids, I’d like this to be a healthy debate knowing that the decision will ultimately come from circumstances of the parents and not everyone is in the same position.

Most will say it’s a no brainier has to be your homeland without accessing the whole situation, the Thai bashers will always say anywhere but Thailand.

My home is London UK and secondary education is free ( comes out my taxes ) and we have a damn good education system here, however Times have changed since I went to school, we now have more immigrants in London from places like Somalia ,Iraq ,Afghanistan to name a few they have formed gangs and find our laid back lifestyle easy.

There are many youth gangs here and a kid gets knifed to death at least once a week, we also have the moped muggers 14+ sometimes younger throwing acid on people to nick their iPhones .

We have had at least 20K police officers cut , hard to find a police station open now, virtually no discipline amongst thee youth.

In Thailand yes they also have gangs, drugs and unruly kids but they still have police pretty much on every corner unlike UK.

What Thailand does have that the Uk doesn’t is respect for your parents and elders which is diminishing slowly.

You don’t have to put your kids in IBS or Wells to gain a good education there are many good schools at a fraction of the price.

Most of the people I mix with in Bangkok have money and their kids are. Doing well in their studies, yet when I lived in Issan it was the opposite, so to make the decision would be from where your based.

There are many Thais who have done well with a normal schooling and not at a inter school.

To add a good friend of mine in London has 3 daughters educated by the state onto Kingston university with masters and they can’t find a job there,

Before the bashers start there are lots of Thais earning good money and not everyone is on minimum wage.

Not forgetting the quality of life is better in Thailand than the UK, not everything is about money.

Thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think you have it well covered. Education can be better back home, but it depends a lot on the school you choose. Bullying can be rampant in some western schools; but I rarely see any evidence of it among my Thai students, many of them having friends across multiple grade levels. Yet they still seem to coexist happily. Plenty of my students have gone on to be doctors, lawyers, vets, economists, etc....they can still graduate from a Thai university and go overseas to do postgrad (like many government officials do). If a child is intending to study and live in a foreign country permanently, they may be better to go home. However, if they intend to live in Thailand, they may be better off staying here. I doubt a Thai with poor language skills (because they spent their formative years overseas) would be able to get a decent job here, unless they work for an international company or in an English speaking environment. 

I think you have it well covered. Education can be better back home, but it depends a lot on the school you choose. Bullying can be rampant in some western schools; but I rarely see any evidence of it among my Thai students, many of them having friends across multiple grade levels. Yet they still seem to coexist happily. Plenty of my students have gone on to be doctors, lawyers, vets, economists, etc....they can still graduate from a Thai university and go overseas to do postgrad (like many government officials do). If a child is intending to study and live in a foreign country permanently, they may be better to go home. However, if they intend to live in Thailand, they may be better off staying here. I doubt a Thai with poor language skills (because they spent their formative years overseas) would be able to get a decent job here, unless they work for an international company or in an English speaking environment. 

Firstly bullying does go on in Thailand and getting worse with social media.

Getting the best jobs are dependent on a good school with a name and connections from friends within that school.

Thailand is a very it's who you know place rather than what you know, just look at the TV it's the same people in all the soaps, game shows etc.

Ultimately it's down to the kid, you can give them the best education but if they don't wanna know and not study that's down to them.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If I was to educate my 6 yr old in US I would still shell out money for a private school. Now we pay for an English program school, roughly 100+K bht/yr, have a house 2 hrs from Bangkok where we assume the child will someday attend college. I'm figuring on staying in Thailand through her school years. Not perfect by any means but what is. And, a super good college in states would cost more than I'm willing to spend.

Also perhaps whether it's a boy or girl would make a difference.

If I was to educate my 6 yr old in US I would still shell out money for a private school. Now we pay for an English program school, roughly 100+K bht/yr, have a house 2 hrs from Bangkok where we assume the child will someday attend college. I'm figuring on staying in Thailand through her school years. Not perfect by any means but what is. And, a super good college in states would cost more than I'm willing to spend.

Also perhaps whether it's a boy or girl would make a difference.

That's my point , it's not perfect but what is.

Loads come on here and say " take them back to a western education " but in reality schools are not what they were.

Still trying to figure out what's best

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If you can afford it, a decent international school or English Program would suffice. My wife studied at an English Program school here, went to a normal university here and then studied an MSc in England recently getting a Distinction. 

After teaching in the UK recently, believe me, the school system there is going down the u bend fast. 

Archived