Bangkok: Security officer killed by sliding gate

webfact

Security officer killed by sliding gate

By The Nation

A security guard in Bangkok was killed when the sliding gate he was standing next to slipped out of its hinges and fell on him late on Sunday night.

Police said the accident happened at 10.30pm at the Social Security Office Area 7 building on Kanchanapisek Road in Bang Bon district.

Boontham Parnngen, 50, was crushed by the 300-kilogram sliding gate, which is 2.5 metres high and six metres wide.

Another security officer, Nueng Iawthuam, said he was buying food on the opposite side of the road and saw the gate falling down and crushing his colleague.

He ran across the road and blew his whistle to call for other security guards to help but it was too late as their colleague was already dead.

Boontham's body has been sent for a post mortem at Siriraj Hospital.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30340192

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-05

I was told this happened on soi 33 Sukhumvit a couple of months ago. Only the victim was a passerby crushed by a falling heavy gate

Be careful out there. I try to give construction projects a very wide berth, although there's so many they're hard to skirt around without bumping into another.

2 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I was told this happened on soi 33 Sukhumvit a couple of months ago. Only the victim was a passerby crushed by a falling heavy gate

Be careful out there. I try to give construction projects a very wide berth, although there's so many they're hard to skirt around without bumping into another.

It was a friend's 23 year old son that was killed on Sukhumvit, when a gate was dropped on him from a condo construction. The owner has been threatening his family not to seek compensation "or else". 

......when the sliding gate he was standing next to slipped out of its hinges and fell on him.....

I have never seen a sliding gate' with hinges in fact, I have never seen a sliding gate since most have rollers.

Like many people my house has an electrically powered roller gate but no hinges. It does, however, have a fixed support roller along which the top rail of the gate runs and prevents the gate from falling over. Ergo, if the fixed roller support fails and becomes detached from the gate wall/pillar the gate can fall over...

A useful tip which I passed to by Thai neighbour, is NOT to play water from a hose over the electric motor housing that powers your gate even if it is dirty and need cleaning. Another is to not park you car half in and half out of the opening of an electric gate and then press CLOSE on the remote.......:smile:

On 3/5/2018 at 3:17 PM, PETERTHEEATER said:

......when the sliding gate he was standing next to slipped out of its hinges and fell on him.....

I have never seen a sliding gate' with hinges in fact, I have never seen a sliding gate since most have rollers.

Like many people my house has an electrically powered roller gate but no hinges. It does, however, have a fixed support roller along which the top rail of the gate runs and prevents the gate from falling over. Ergo, if the fixed roller support fails and becomes detached from the gate wall/pillar the gate can fall over...

A useful tip which I passed to by Thai neighbour, is NOT to play water from a hose over the electric motor housing that powers your gate even if it is dirty and need cleaning. Another is to not park you car half in and half out of the opening of an electric gate and then press CLOSE on the remote.......:smile:

?

Archived