The Funny Things The Girls Say!

When my wife and I first got together I asked her to teach me some Thai. After a while I became frustrated with it so I gave up.  A couple of my friends were teasing me why I have given up so quickly so I asked my wife to say these words in Thai to them - (kao) - rice, mountain, horn, and white. Nearly impossible to learn!

Kao: You forgot 'Knee' and 'Him'.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my wife and I first got together I asked her to teach me some Thai. After a while I became frustrated with it so I gave up.  A couple of my friends were teasing me why I have given up so quickly so I asked my wife to say these words in Thai to them - (kao) - rice, mountain, horn, and white. Nearly impossible to learn!

Kao: You forgot 'Knee' and 'Him'.

Old, nine, into, and so on... :o

> "Crips."

> Girl: "Criiippss"

> Boy: 'No, babe, ..CriSps..'

> Girl: "CriiiPPPss"

> Boy: 'Not quite, but you're getting there..try again -

> CriSSSpppSS' 'Just try SSPSS and then add CRI'

> Girl: "SSSPPSSS"

> Boy: 'Good! Now try CRI"

> Girl: "CRRIIIPPSSS" *big beam*

:o In this context I can wholeheartedly recommend this book. Drives most Thai learners of English completely bonkers as absolutely every line in it ends in a double consonant with S. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

My girl has a real problem with pound....and of course the L=R syndrome...I think its so cute and really funny. she has a really good giggle at me for my Thai speak to though....

Be carefull with Suay, Rising=Beautiful Falling=Cheat kinda funny how they put those together dont ya think ???

Mox.

The manager warned me that "we are <deleted>##ing at school next Tuesday". She must have seen my face change, she then explained that there are far too many mosquitos and roaches, so a good fog is needed every now and then... Broken dreams :o

Our vacoom died, so we'll take it to the sewice centeuh.

We have crockloaches in the back kitchen.

"Honey, it's raining, take the umblera."

"You better get your eye checked, maybe you need to wear spectaculars."

" I love the smell of your poofoom"

My students can say falang but not flag, I tell them to say feuhlag, they say feuhrag. After a few minutes I say "mai bpen rai". :D

more to come... I just can't remember them all...

My FG was telling me one day that there was a movie on TV that evening that she wanted to watch : "Rah Rah Cough". I told her that I'd never heard of the movie and said I'd look it up in the UBC magazine. I eventually realised what she was trying to say when she pointed to 'Lara Croft, Tomb Raider'.

:o

Fuuck is pretty much a universal word and one that my GF has mastered...

One night while eating a semi-formal dinner with some very high ranking military officers (US, Thai, Australian and Sing) and their wives and GF's...

My GF, at a lull in the conversation leans over to me and says, "I want to go back to apartment now and Fuuck with you." All at the table heard and husbands and BF's are smiling and wives and GF's are all looking around and at each other.

I told my GF that it is probably better that she say, "I am tired, we go back to apartment and sleep".

She responds so all can hear, " Oh no, Phil Ja you not understand what I say. I not tired, I horny. We go back to apartment and Fuuck."

All said without hesitation and reservation...I was beginning to get 'tired' also so we left for the apartment. :o

Gotta love em.

Siam CenTERRRR

CompuTERRRR

Harry PotTERRRR

Wisa

Wietnam

Thankyou werry mut. :D

Those of you that have learned to read and write Thai should understand where most of these issues come from. Words like Center, Computer and Potter, when transliterated into Thai script are written with the falling tone. They are just saying it how they see it written...

I am a little surprised no one mentioned the fee for bringing and opening your own bottle of wine to a restaurant is often referred to (and written on signs) as the "cockage fee". That one gets great looks on a sign near Soi Cowboy... :o

Another good word to get a Thai person to say is "parallel"

This being said, it did take me a month to pronounce correctly the word for silver (or money) - ngun.

:o went shopping with my wife when she told me she want by some orikander,took me a little time to work out she wanted coriander.

when we stayed with my parents in germany we noticed after a week or so,that their gray parrot talks funny after a bit we found out,that my wife has been teaching her thai,she was very good at it,can't say the same about me

Hi this is my first post here.

Get your thai GF to sa the sentance "new wood does'nt burn does it".

Translates into "mai mai mai mai mai mai", may of left a mai out but never mind.

Another story. New years eve, we were sitting out side my house, and a thai friend of mine says toinght we have "cow dow", I look at him and sat "What I know kai dow (fried egg) but not cow dow (thinking its something made from rice, thai for rice cow). No he says " you know cow dow 10, 9, 8, 7, 6......" . If you havent got it count down at midnight.

I remember one day my GF looking at me cross eyed afer a great deal of screaming during sex and saying, "I have the big organism."

In Japan, the slang for your cock is son, and so when my wife was horny she could just ask if my son was swollen?

Personally, I would have loved to have been at that dinner and heard your wife.

Just too cute.

Translates into "mai mai mai mai mai mai",  may of left a mai out but never mind.

It's cute, but I do hope you realize this isn't a real sentence. Even two native Thai's wouldn't be able to send and receive this message. It illustrates the point of tone quite nicely though.

The trick is to try and mimic sentance structures and word rythmns as well as the tone. The way a sentence is constructed can often save a missed tone. Also, sometimes I think the Thai's like to hear the humerous meaning even if we nail the tone!

Anyway, to actually add to the thread. My Thai girlfriend, who I met here and not there, always says:

Cal-ee-forn-ee-yah.

That makes me chuckle every single time. And then when I laugh she'll put on her best imitation of me:

Cal-ih-forn-YUH (short i, short u)

Which makes us both laugh.

Also, if you are trying to learn Thai I've found a fun hobby. Watch American movies dubbed in Thai! Great fun! (Just me saying Nang Fah Char-leeee makes her laugh.)

> :D We never eat rice, we eat lice

Consider yourself lucky.. Just "White Lie" for me.. :o

As for curses, for me is doesn't get worse than "Shit!", in English anyway. However she consistently spells it "Chit" in writing. (She curses a lot in MSN Messenger.. :D

Also, as Thai only has ONE 'ch' / 'sh' sound, unlike Chinese which has LOADS, my girlfriend completely does NOT hear the difference between 'sheep' and 'cheap'. She'll try to focus on any 'tone', but misses the initial consonant sound...

Cheers,

Chanchao

And, does any of your significant others completely mix Thai and English even in one sentence or even mid-word? Just now 5 seconds ago:

"Chuay transfer the water hai chan duay!"

(About pooring water from the big tank that's too heavy for her into smaller bottles..)

In all fairness, I do this myself as well. So absolutely nobody understands us.. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

And, does any of your significant others completely mix Thai and English even in one sentence or even mid-word? Just now 5 seconds
ago:

how this one from my wife " I mai loo put tee ni", Translates to " I dont know where I put it".

But you are right i do it all the time as well

Hi this is my first post here.

Translates into "mai mai mai mai mai mai", may of left a mai out but never mind.

Another story. New years eve, we were sitting out side my house, and a thai friend of mine says toinght we have "cow dow", I look at him and sat "What I know kai dow (fried egg) but not cow dow (thinking its something made from rice, thai for rice cow). No he says " you know cow dow 10, 9, 8, 7, 6......" . If you havent got it count down at midnight.

You didn't leave a "mai" out you added an extar one.

It is "mai, mai,mai,mai,mai" and it translates "new thai silk does not burn"

You didn't leave a "mai" out you added an extar one.

It is "mai, mai,mai,mai,mai" and it translates "new thai silk does not burn

Ok I'd accept "new silk does not burn" cos thai for silk is mai as well, but where 's the "thai" come from.

wrote all the "mai"s " the same for effect , cos in english you cant put the tones or long short vowels ect... we've only got 26 letters inc vowels. And if you put a "does it" on the end of your sentance you'd get the extra "mai"

Ps can anyone tell me how to do the box thing with quotes

In the post that you want to quote, hit the blue button that says "quote"

We have been looking for cars recently, we settled on a Toyota Wish. As we were driving it home the wife asked me why we didn't go look Shep Rolek, suay mai?

It took me quite a while to work out she was talking about chevrolet.

There are so many things she say that are funny, I cannot think of what they are tho, i guess because it is our everyday language.

And, does any of your significant others completely mix Thai and English even in one sentence or even mid-word?

We do it too, even though I'm forbidden to speak Thai. Probably the most intimate fusion was my wife's reply, 'I ก็ love you'. I think that's a more intimate fusion than 'Mummy's waiing phra.' (I'm not sure how to say the latter in English; I suspect that 'praying' is not the right word.)

Our daughter came up with a lovely mixed phrase - 'water farang' for 'squash'.

I can only think of one word blend - 'salap' = E. sleep / Th. lap (หลับ).

A shop assistant once replied 'No mee' for 'No have' or 'mai mee'.

> You didn't leave a "mai" out you added an extar one.

> It is "mai, mai,mai,mai,mai" and it translates "new thai silk does

> not burn"

From the English rendition it's completely impossible to say what it translates as. Difference between 'wood' and 'silk' would be completely lost. So if you say your first 'mai' is silk then that's fine of course, I'll take your word for it! :o

You were right on the number of mai's of course.. If I'll attempt to put tone markers in there, and going with 'silk': (even though 'wood' makes more sense in the context, and also results in more different tones to play with)

mai+ mai' mai" mai" mai+

Or with wood:

mai^ mai' mai" mai" mai+

With:

' - low

" - falling

^ - high

+ - rising

Final mai+ is the question word, which you translated as 'does it?'

Note that "silk" and "the question word" are fully 'the same word' in that they sound exactly the same (incl. tone) and cannot be told apart other than through context.

Same for "burn"/"burnt" and "not" both are falling.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao