Will getting faster ADSL package improve ping at all?

pete66

I want generally faster Internet, but in particular would like to improve my ping time to US-based sites. Would upgrading to a faster package make any difference at all to ping times?

If not, anything else that works? Fibre perhaps.

I am currently looking at ping times of 250ms+ for pages I visit frequently, and would love to reduce that. Faster downloading from international sites would of course be great as well.

I'm with 3BB if that makes any difference. The service has been very reliable, so would like to stick with them if possible.

Cheers,

What locations are you trying to get better response time to?

Ping times affected first by the distance traveled, by the number and types of intermediary connections, then by store and forward congestion as the packets make their way to and fro.  A higher speed connection can mean more data delivered in less time (so some improvement on data transiting the connection) but eventually you hit the physical minimum physical ping limitation.

Some people have have greater luck routing their connections to better high-speed international circuits by using VPNs out of Singapore. 

If I had a choice I'd probably always choose Fiber. But it really depends on what your ISP is doing infrastructure-wise and how the connection is routed in-country before connecting to their International Internet Gateway. 

Amazon services.

So looking at the page source, seems to be almost entirely cloudfront.net ....which is CDN right?

I haven't pinged that, because ping is disabled for it. Maybe it's okay....how to find out how to access cloudfront.net quickly?

thx

I like my 3bb a lot actually. Very stable. And yeah, ping is 12ms or so locally. Only issue is they say fibre not available in my condo building yet. So I'll probably just stick with them and upgrade to fastest ADSL they have. Sounds like that will help speed things up. Thanks.

If we could change the speed of light many things would be different.  If it is a gaming problem and ping is to high - unless they set up a server more near to you there is nothing that can be done to change it much - routing can make vary little difference all the way to the states for example.  Lucky your not on a Sat. connection to space and back and seeing 2000ms pings.  You can get more volume like 30mbps or 50mbps but the ping will not change much beyond a few ms between one city or another - if you go out the pipe to the US and back your going to be looking at >200 no way around it.

I don't think you have read the thread fully mate.... turns out since most of the stuff I access is behind cloudfront CDN, having a fast local connection is fine :)

15 hours ago, muratremix said:

usa pings will always be 200ms or more.

Linear (shortest) distance Bangkok to central USA about 14'000 km.

*2 = 28'000 km.

Signal speed in optical cable about 250'000 km/s (?)

This would make up for a theoretical limit of about 110 ms.

BUT: who has fiber cable straight without any detours, no delay by intermediate components, servers responding in zero time.

I also can't remember having seen less than 200 ms to US.

I have done a lot of tests over the years and seen up to 300 ms or so.

Right now:

ping berkeley.edu : 235 ms.

And this is on the west coast (closest to Asia).

In reality the connection through the sea cables would more likely be 20'000 km.

Edited by KhunBENQ

41 minutes ago, pete66 said:

I don't think you have read the thread fully mate.... turns out since most of the stuff I access is behind cloudfront CDN, having a fast local connection is fine :)

"but in particular would like to improve my ping time to US-based sites."

OK good luck with that.  I had 3bb for a long and now I have cat fibre just did 211ping and 56mb to San Fran - ping is no different then any I had on 3bb - local my pings to Bangkok are 9ms - same as they were with 3bb.  maybe  try to get cat. if you like numbers like that.

17 hours ago, pete66 said:

Faster downloading from international sites would of course be great as well.

Just seen this part of the OP.

I remember that 3BB offers some special package for international  connections/downloads?

Maybe someone can tell.

I don't know whether it's worth.

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just seen this part of the OP.

I remember that 3BB offers some special package for international  connections/downloads?

Maybe someone can tell.

I don't know whether it's worth.

3BB used to offer a B200/month "Inter" supplement for their VDSL plans for faster overseas access, but they no longer do so.

Yea, until someone figures out how to overcome the speed of light barrier, a person's ping time to distance locations such as the US/EU is not going to improve by any significant amount whether they are on ADSL, VDSL, Cable, Fiber, etc.

If a person "must connect to a specific server" located say in San Francisco then your internet photons/electrons will just have to travel back and forth that entire distance to that specific server.   Now if the specific server happens to have some CDN/mirrored servers close to you then hopefully you'll be connected to one of those closer servers and get a much faster ping...but the only reason you are now getting a faster ping time is because you internet photons/electrons are traveling a shorter distance; not because some one figured out how to exceed the speed of light barrier.

But whether you are on ADSL, VDSL, Cable, or Fiber is not going to make any significant difference in ping time.   And any minor difference, say of a few milliseconds, will be due to you local connection before it reaches the ISP international gateway server, internet loading at the time, etc.  

I've been been TOT ADSL, True Cable, and AIS Fibre Optics over the years....my typical ping times to the U.S. west coast have been in the low 200ms ballpark on all of them. 

Every once in a while I might pull just a little below like between 190 to 200ms but that is the exception...not due to my photons/electrons traveling any faster but primarily just due to some electronic component like an relay/amplifier/server along the way getting the job done just a little faster when I did that ping test....and/or the DNS routing for the test varied a little.    Do the ping test again a few seconds later and I'm over 200ms again...usually in the 200 to 230ms range.   But that can change from minute to minute depending on internet loading and just a bunch of other factors.

I'm on AIS Fibre now....a 200/50 plan...doing a ping berkeley.edu I got 227ms.    And I know if I was still on TOT ADSL or True Cable internet plan it would still be plus or minus a few milliseconds of 227ms.

11 minutes ago, pete66 said:

where are the better packages listed?

I find faster packages only with fiber connection (100/30, 150/50, 200/100).

VDSL only up to 30/10.

On the other hand you should ask yourself what the 100 or more would do in reality (if you are a single private user).

I download and upload web pages hundreds of times a day for my job. Believe me, I could use any extra speed. Time spent downloading + uploading is money,  pure and simple.

Also, I researched cloudfront a bit and it seems the nearest edge location is Singapore. Nothing in BKK. But I guess the pipe between BKK and Singapore is fast enough to make cloudfront access fast here.

I've seen adverts around my condo for fiber packages from:

• True
  • AIS
  • CS Loxinfo

Any of these particular good/bad for high volume use? And accessing Singapore quickly :)

Cheers

On 3/13/2018 at 1:10 PM, muratremix said:

get AIS.

now they have faster in business hours packages offering 100/100, 200/200, 300/300 mbps during business hours daytime. slower at night time but prices are good.

Yes will definitely look at AIS. Seemed a complicated service choice when I looked at their website a few weeks ago but will look again. Cheers.

On 11/03/2018 at 11:11 AM, pete66 said:

I've seen adverts around my condo for fiber packages from:

• True
  • AIS
  • CS Loxinfo

Any of these particular good/bad for high volume use? And accessing Singapore quickly :)

Cheers

You mention you live in a condo. Isn't it so that fibre isn't installed above the 5th floor?

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

Think you have to multiply that by 2, because the signal has to come back as well.

Already done.

*2 = 28'000 km.

28'000km / 250'000km/s ~ 110 ms

But as written: purely theoretical and also the 250'000 km/s is just from memory.

Edited by KhunBENQ

6 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

You mention you live in a condo. Isn't it so that fibre isn't installed above the 5th floor?

Although not by one of the three ISPs listed above, I have fiber (FTTH) internet in my 7th floor condo.

8 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Although not by one of the three ISPs listed above, I have fiber (FTTH) internet in my 7th floor condo.

New build condo, where the fibre lines were laid during construction?

Friend of mine has a condo backside of the Avenue in Pattaya, so pretty recent one, and was told by 3BB that he only could get VDSL on his floor.

I have read many times on this forum about members who got the same answer when requesting for fibre, and that include True

Edited by janclaes47

32 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

New build condo, where the fibre lines were laid during construction?

No, a 15+ (?) year old 18-floor condo building in Jomtien.

Friend of mine has a condo backside of the Avenue in Pattaya, so pretty recent one, and was told by 3BB that he only could get VDSL on his floor.

I have read many times on this forum about members who got the same answer when requesting for fibre, and that include True

True have - or used to have - a strange rule about only working up to the 3rd or 5th floor. It doesnt seem to be anything to do with safety or practicality, as in a high-rise condo all work is carried out inside the building and you never need anything taller than a step-ladder to access anything.
As for getting fibre in a building, the supplier and the management have to get together to allow the main fibre cable to come into the building, the fibre switch to be situated somewhere on common property, power to be supplied for the fibre switch, and also for the individual fibre cables to be run to the different units through the access conduits and false ceilings that are provided for this purpose. So it all boils down to the management and committee of a building wanting to do it, and negotiating with the supplier.

Anyone got a list of current 3BB VDSL offerings?

All I get on their website is:
http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/internet_package/1

Which is slower than what I have at the moment.... where are the better packages listed?

thx

I just moved to fiber from a 3bb premier package, I was paying 925 or thereabouts for increased international bandwidth.

I have a ftp server in France, and on a basic package the file transfer speeds were painful, I had the premier package for 4-5 years, it was ok.

If you are connecting to a fixed IP address then get to know network services at 3bb they will get you the best path to your server.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 3/16/2018 at 10:37 AM, KittenKong said:

So it all boils down to the management and committee of a building wanting to do it, and negotiating with the supplier.

And your willingness to pay. Might well be a charge for the cable to your unit.