Despite Struggles, LGBT Leaders Optimistic On Future

snoop1130

Despite Struggles, LGBT Leaders Optimistic On Future

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

lgbt-696x557.jpg

Speakers from left, Vuthithorn “Woody” Milintachinda, Kanatip “Loukgolf” Soonthornrak, Pathavee “Amadiva” Thepkraiwan and Navarat “Grace” Techarathanaprasert, on Monday at a panel discussion at Chulalongkorn University.

BANGKOK — Despite the slow pace of progress, “hopefulness” was center stage Monday when it came time to discuss the future of Thailand’s LGBT community with some of its most prominent figures.

Four distinguished LGBT leaders offered touching, inspiring and insightful accounts Monday at Chulalongkorn University when they sat down to share personal stories and opinions on the future of equality.

Full Story: 

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-3-12

yes , it is still quite surprising that Thailand , with one of the largest percentage of population being LGBT has no equality laws like europe . Trans people like myself can not legally get married and have no rights .  I thought the new constitution would address these issues but seems like Thailand remains lagging behind rest of world in human rights / LGBT issues .  However , have to say I have found Thailand and its people very accepting toward myself - much more so say than France !   Am hopeful for all LGBT Thais that the future will be different .  

The way I see it is that given the current governmental structure which I won't talk about, the prospects of moving forward on these issues is STALLED as back burner stuff. I do get that. If I was Thai I would be concerned about even more basic issues, but like I said, I won't talk about that. 

It's like if you're hungry and homeless, you can't really go past that until you have food and housing security. 

But saying that, even before the current stuff which I won't talk about, in my opinion LGBT Thais were just too darned passive and apathetic about working on such issues when they could have been justified as more worthy of national attention. So culturally speaking, I don't share the optimism implied from the the group in the O.P.

Hope they prove me wrong. 

Meanwhile, most non-Thais continue to believe the myth that Thailand is some kind of LGBT paradise. 

Archived