Tourist facilities lacking at Phang Nga tsunami museum

webfact

Tourist facilities lacking at Phang Nga tsunami museum

By Anothai Ngandee 
The Nation

Tourists are still visiting the tsunami memorial monument and museum at Khao Lak beach in Phang Nga's Takua Pa district 13 years after the event, but there is no toilet facility to serve them, a tourist guide has complained.

The guide posted on her Facebook wall that she took 11 Japanese tourists to visit the monument, which is situated near where patrol boat 813 was washed ashore by the tsunami.

The guide said she walked around and checked with museum officials and they all said there was no toilet for tourists. She said her group had to use the toilet at a food shop where the owner was impolite and charged her Bt50.

The post was widely shared among Facebook users.

The Phang Nga provincial administration received a large budget to build the museum. But when The Nation visited the museum on Tuesday morning, the only buildings with a toilet facility were found to have been abandoned since a police station moved away. The deserted buildings have become a living place for homeless people and stray dogs.

The Nation also found a deserted building south of the boat monument, but it was unattended and there was a dog carcass inside. Signs had been put up saying that the toilet had broken down.

A nearby park displaying a tsuanmi-inspired artwork titled “Stabile” had been left uncared for, with the grass surrounding it overgrown.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30340828

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-13

17 hours ago, webfact said:

She said her group had to use the toilet at a food shop where the owner was impolite and charged her Bt50.

Seems to me 11 and her using the toilet for 50 baht is a good deal ! That's only about 4 baht each - I'm sure we've all paid more than that.

I specialy went to Khao Lak 2 years ago for visiting this monument. Ones arrived, me and my gf not even bothered to get out the car. It looked so disconsolate. A big crane and construction works were just happening about 3 meters from the wall.

Last year my best friend and his family did go see it too and he also found it real sad and a not worth visiting place.

All those victims deserves a much more appropriate monument.