Woman cleared of plotting husband’s death with ex-boyfriend

rooster59

Woman cleared of plotting husband’s death with ex-boyfriend

By Sutinan Kongsin 
The Nation

d42bfc5d60d2219036bfd10aee4f4155.jpeg

Samut Prakan Court has given a Thai woman the benefit of the doubt and acquitted her in a case where she was accused of collaborating with her ex-boyfriend to kill one of her Japanese husbands in 2003.

Phornchanok Chaiyapa lived with Somchai Kaewbangyang before getting married to Katsutoshi Tanaka and then to Yoshinori Shimato. Somchai killed both of her Japanese husbands. 

The court on Friday sentenced Somchai to 33 years and four months in jail, commuted from life imprisonment because he confessed to Tanaka’s murder. 

Somchai said he killed Tanaka out of jealousy.

f45d764ff75130ef04b6cf149dea7b74.jpeg

Phornchanok, who received more than Bt3 million in compensation from Tanaka’s life insurance, was acquitted on a benefit-of-the-doubt basis. 

There was no evidence to implicate Phornchanok in Tanaka’s murder. 

Tanaka’s death was initially described as an accident after Phornchanok reported that he fell down a staircase at the couple’s home in Samut Prakan province. 

An investigation into Tanaka’s death began only after Shimato’s case made headlines in 2014.

Shimato was killed and dismembered and parts of his remains were found at various locations. 

In 2016, the Criminal Court sentenced Somchai to the death penalty for the killing and sentenced Phornchanok to 48 years in jail for helping cover up the crime. Phornchanok initially told police that Shimato went missing.

Keiko Matta, the daughter of Tanaka and another Thai woman, Jintana Nasuho, lodged a complaint with police after learning of Shimato’s death, suspecting foul play. 

Jintana attended Samut Prakan Court to hear the verdict. 

“Part of me is satisfied with the verdict. But deep down, I still feel sad. I will consult my daughter as to what to do next,” Jintana said. 

Keiko is currently overseas. 

According to the court, although Phornchanok tried to cover up the crime for Somchai, there is nothing to suggest she took part in the killing.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30341110

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-17
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

take a look at that woman in the photo.

she looks like a sweet old grandmother.

She helped murder both her husbands for money.

this story should be required reading for all men coming to Thailand.

Private Dancer....Part II.........:coffee1:

OK, so her ex-Thai husband Somchai killed both her Japanese husbands out of jealousy and not for gain, although she got her hands on a 3 million baht insurance payment and probably also on  whatever cash and assets the 2 dead Japanese had. The court ruled that in both cases, she helped Somchai conceal the crime, but was set free as 'she did not have a hand in the murder itself'. What a strange ruling. Be safe, everyone there whose wives had a thai husband in the past.

• Like 2

i would say theres a good reason she got off and the 3 million plus other assets she received have now mostly changed hands from hers to theres....they actually nearly got away with murder twice......well she actually did anyway......she probably got to spend a fair bit of it but now start again from fresh..watch out japanese men(and others) as this lovey cute granny will be on the prowl again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, katana said:

In an earlier story from 2014, Phornchanok seems to have confessed to being an accomplice in the murder of her other Japanese husband, Shimato, in 2003.
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/771190-black-widow-confesses-to-role-in-shimatos-murder/

Yes never mind that...thats old news!!! she now innocent and her confession not valid for 3 million reasons!! move along ..nothing to see here as no more corruption in Thailand as all sorted by the new people in power!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...preposterous....like so many judgements involving wrongdoings against foreigners....

...and this is the reason why crimes against foreigners...including murder...are rampant...

Then pray tell what is the reason for crimes against Thai...including murder...are rampant...?

6 hours ago, Fish Head Soup said:

Then pray tell what is the reason for crimes against Thai...including murder...are rampant...?

I believe what SOTIRIOUS is meaning is that you can nearly pay your way out of any crime in the courts provided you have the cash to back you up even in the face of overwhelming evidence. This applies to both Thai and Foreign victims. It is those with no funds that end up in jail, not the ones who are necessarily guilty.

Furthermore, I think that is correct and by and large, although there can be exceptions, the courts always tend to accept the Thai explanation to the detriment of the foreigners. Sentencing is all over the place and inconsistent as well for similar cases but in different courts.

I think the prosecutor now has the right of appeal TO THE SUPREME COURT unless their palms have also been crossed with ' pieces of silver! '

I find it ludicrous to believe that an ex-husband, especially Thai, killed both Japanese men out of jealousy, she is no oil painting!  More to the point she got away with it once and played her hand again, the ex-husband was in it for the financial gain as well as she, is a more likely scenario.

9 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

This applies to both Thai and Foreign victims.

So why not say ' this is the reason why crimes...including murder...are rampant [sic] ' There is no need to add a subset identifier in to the statement, unless you feel the need to play victim.

I think that is correct and by and large, although there can be exceptions, the courts always tend to accept the Thai explanation to the detriment of the foreigners.

Can you corroborate that with any statistical evidence or is such paranoia just formed by your own xenophobia and based on you're visits to the Thaivisa 'news' forum?

I think the prosecutor now has the right of appeal TO THE SUPREME COURT unless their palms have also been crossed with ' pieces of silver! '

If anything they would go to an appeal court but I doubt they can in this case because the defendant has been found innocent and under Thai law could not be tried for the same offense twice. They would not be appealing a sentence or point of law, they would be appealing a judges decision based on fact. A case such as this would never go to the Dika court by-the-way.

The only action left available to take against this woman is of a civil nature not a criminal one.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Fish Head Soup said:

So why not say ' this is the reason why crimes...including murder...are rampant [sic] ' There is no need to add a subset identifier in to the statement, unless you feel the need to play victim.

Can you corroborate that with any statistical evidence or is such paranoia just formed by your own xenophobia and based on you're visits to the Thaivisa 'news' forum?

If anything they would go to an appeal court but I doubt they can in this case because the defendant has been found innocent and under Thai law could not be tried for the same offense twice. They would not be appealing a sentence or point of law, they would be appealing a judges decision based on fact. A case such as this would never go to the Dika court by-the-way.

The only action left available to take against this woman is of a civil nature not a criminal one.

I have far more experience of Thai courts and Thai law as well as Thai prisons than you actually lead yourself to believe.

It is also possible if the prosecutor remains dissatisfied it will go to the Saan Diga, the final court or Supreme court. I have SEEN THIS HAPPEN! If this is the first court of the first instance, the provincial court, he/she, will have as a prosecutor 28- 30 days, to appeal the verdict. They may even apply for a further 14 days if they are not ready to proceed with their objection.

Furthermore, I have also experience of Appeals to the King, (Toon Glow, etc.) I find your comments presumptuous and certainly rude regards accusations of xenophobia. I also have done a damn sight more in my now 25 years on Thailand and knowledge and connections to the British Embassy than you can know from inside and outside the Thai prison system. I suggest you take your arrogance and high handed attitude elsewhere where you can boast and brag to those who do not know the systems over here.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Fish Head Soup said:

I have no knowledge of the law and just for my knowledge, are you saying that if a lower court has found a defendant innocent of a crime, then it is the end of the road for prosecutors and it cant be appealed at all, except in a civil court for damages?

Whereas if found guilty and sentenced, then either party can appeal to a higher court on a point of law, fresh evidence or length of conviction.

Sounds strange, what if the lower court judge erred? No recourse?

5 hours ago, saakura said:

I have no knowledge of the law and just for my knowledge, are you saying that if a lower court has found a defendant innocent of a crime, then it is the end of the road for prosecutors and it cant be appealed at all, except in a civil court for damages?

Whereas if found guilty and sentenced, then either party can appeal to a higher court on a point of law, fresh evidence or length of conviction.

A courts not guilty verdict cannot easily be challenged, and certainly not without good grounds. Under very limited circumstances an appeal to the Court of Appeal for the case to be reconsidered could be made, but this would only happen if there was substantial compelling new evidence or if a major procedural error had occurred during the original trial.

Edited by Fish Head Soup

19 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I have far more experience of Thai courts and Thai law as well as Thai prisons than you actually lead yourself to believe.

Another unqualified expert I'm sure. Don't you know that everyone is an expert these days?

It is also possible if the prosecutor remains dissatisfied it will go to the Saan Diga, the final court or Supreme court.

Yes as I have stated it's possible but in this case It's not.

I have SEEN THIS HAPPEN!

Yet you didn't understand why it happened.

If this is the first court of the first instance, the provincial court, he/she, will have as a prosecutor 28- 30 days, to appeal the verdict. They may even apply for a further 14 days if they are not ready to proceed with their objection.

Again see above.

Furthermore, I have also experience of Appeals to the King, (Toon Glow, etc.)

Appeals to His Majesty The King has nothing to do with this case.

I find your comments presumptuous and certainly rude regards accusations of xenophobia.

Your xenophobia was on clear display in your comments.

I also have done a damn sight more in my now 25 years on Thailand and knowledge and connections to the British Embassy than you can know from inside and outside the Thai prison system.

Then you should know that being critical of the courts decision is a crime, you should also know that accusations of bribery and dishonesty against the judiciary is also a criminal act, you should also know that putting these slurs on the internet is again a serious criminal action under the computer crimes act. I'm sure you know all this already though as you're an expert in this field.

Now could you just run this theory about 'crossing palms with silver' by us again please?

I suggest you take your arrogance and high handed attitude elsewhere where you can boast and brag to those who do not know the systems over here.

You can suggest it, but it ain't going to happen laa.

7 hours ago, saakura said:

Saakura,

The guy calling himself Fish head soup is talking absolute crap nonsense and in a dream world of his own making!!

Unless they plead guilty in the first court and accept the usual sentence cut in half for a guilty plea, the vast majority go on to appeal to the Appeal court and onwards to the Supreme court called the Diga.

They know, the defendants,  they can kick the case around the courts for 8,9 or 10 years and in the meantime, provided they maintain innocence, they are entitled to bail.

The defendant can appeal against both sentence or conviction or both, and so can the prosecutors.

There is no stigma or embarrassment to a judge in Thailand having his decision reversed like there is in Europe.His answer would just be ' That is how he saw it ' and his verdict reflected that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fish Head Soup said:

Another unqualified expert I'm sure. Don't you know that everyone is an expert these days?

Yes as I have stated it's possible but in this case It's not.

Yet you didn't understand why it happened.

Again see above.

Appeals to His Majesty The King has nothing to do with this case.

Your xenophobia was on clear display in your comments.

Then you should know that being critical of the courts decision is a crime, you should also know that accusations of bribery and dishonesty against the judiciary is also a criminal act, you should also know that putting these slurs on the internet is again a serious criminal action under the computer crimes act. I'm sure you know all this already though as you're an expert in this field.

Now could you just run this theory about 'crossing palms with silver' by us again please?

You can suggest it, but it ain't going to happen laa.

An absolute clown!..................and now attempting to defend a system that is ridiculed the world over by making threats of the all-encompassing ' computer crimes act! which is used to keep the masses in line.

Also, complete and totally incorrect information you are passing to TV readers and members laa!

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

An absolute clown!.

Yes indeed you are!

and now attempting to defend a system that is ridiculed the world over by making threats of the all-encompassing ' computer crimes act! which is used to keep the masses in line.

No threats here, only facts.

As for you're assertion that I'm somehow defending a system which in you're words is 'ridiculed the world over'. I think not, there is no such system being discussed. If you are referring to the Thai justice system, that system famed throughout the world for its contributions to the development of the rule of law, Thailand a country steeped in what that bastion of British rule of law Rumpole of the Bailey might have called the golden threads running through our system. A system accustomed to the highest of standards of independence and evidential rigour. If this is the system you are referring to, then you are most certainly mistaken.

Also, complete and totally incorrect information you are passing to TV readers and members laa!

Nothing incorrect in what I have stated.

Thai expertise in the administration of justice is a commodity which is held in the highest of regard across the globe and is seen to many as the last beacon of hope in an increasingly darkened world.

6 hours ago, Fish Head Soup said:

Yes indeed you are!

No threats here, only facts.

As for you're assertion that I'm somehow defending a system which in you're words is 'ridiculed the world over'. I think not, there is no such system being discussed. If you are referring to the Thai justice system, that system famed throughout the world for its contributions to the development of the rule of law, Thailand a country steeped in what that bastion of British rule of law Rumpole of the Bailey might have called the golden threads running through our system. A system accustomed to the highest of standards of independence and evidential rigour. If this is the system you are referring to, then you are most certainly mistaken.

Nothing incorrect in what I have stated.

Thai expertise in the administration of justice is a commodity which is held in the highest of regard across the globe and is seen to many as the last beacon of hope in an increasingly darkened world.

Are you off your meds?? Or are you just trying to wind me up?

Edited by Scouse123