Qantas Discount Carrier To Launch Flights From Sydney To Kuala Lumpur

Thaising

Jetstar, the budget offshoot of Australian flag carrier Qantas, said Tuesday it plans to fly from Sydney to Kuala Lumpur from September onwards.

The discount carrier will fly three times weekly to the Malaysian city and will launch its maiden flight on September 9, chief executive Alan Joyce said at a low cost airline conference in Singapore.

"Jetstar continues to take a price leadership position in international leisure markets for Qantas, offering choice for both Australian and

international travellers," Joyce said in a statement.

"We are excited by the prospects of entering this route with a highly competitive, two-class product that since our launch long haul flight last November, is operating ahead of expectations."

Jetstar said the proposed new route is subject to regulatory approval.

Passengers flying Jetstar from Sydney to Kuala Lumpur can choose between economy and business class seats on the 303-seat Airbus A330-200 jets to be used by the carrier for the new service.

Jetstar launched its long haul flights in November and currently flies directly to Bangkok, Phuket, Ho Chi Minh City, Bali and Honolulu from either Sydney or Melbourne. - AFP

Well, bdenner, I, for one, found that VERY interesting! Maybe there aren't many Aussies on this site, but, I assure you, there are a lot of us over here who are watching Jetstar's every move.... this company has offered a couple of inaugural flights to international destinations that cost less than the taxi from the city of departure to the airport!

Frankly, I wouldn't be going to Thailand at all if it wasn't for Jetstar coming along with cheap prices just when I needed them. The flights I scored were so cheap that I can now take my whole family to Vietnam and Thailand in one trip: Sydney-Ho Chi Minh City $AUD37 each, Bangkok - Sydney $AUD130 each. If I'd flown back from Phu Ket instead of Bangkok, that would have come down to $AUD31 each. All those fares are plus airport taxes, of course... and the taxes are about three times the price of the tickets!

So what's wrong with Thaising telling us about new flights to KL? I think I'll visit the Jetstar site right away... maybe I can do TWO holidays in a single year!

Thanks for the information, Thaising! Strength to your arm, long live travel, and down with sourpusses!

Buyer beware- these prices are promotional flights only. What are the normal costs for these flights in AUD inclusive of taxes, security and fuel surcharges,

economy class. What is the validity of these tickets are they one way or return?

You should read the conditions of carriage on the website very closely.

It is this information that an air traveller needs to know.

In the long run the actual savings would not be much more than 10% IMHO for a 3 star airline.

This thread was launched over an hour ago and not a single response. The reason? Who the <deleted> cares, Qantas/Jetstar will never get my arse on their seats.

The reason why there wasn't many replies is because most of us Aussies know anyway. I read all the papers daily so I didn't need to respond to Thaisings post.

You always have to do your homework when you are buying any cheap tickets, sometimes you can find BA, TG or QF tickets as cheap as the discount lines. Any competition is welcome competition, cheers.