Tourist safety tops Digital Economy Minister’s agenda in Phuket

rooster59

Tourist safety tops Digital Economy Minister’s agenda in Phuket 

The Phuket News

1521261062_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: A slew of technology-focussed projects aimed at ramping up tourists’ safety topped the agenda during a visit by Digital Economy and Society Minister Dr Pichet Durongkaveroj to Phuket yesterday (Mar 16).

Dr Pichet was in Phuket in person to hear from officials their top projects under the ambit of the Phuket Smart City at a meeting at the Phuket Provincial office of the Department of Disaster Mitigation & Prevention (DDPM-Phuket) yesterday afternoon.

Top priority was given to the ability of CCTV to help officials catch criminals.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/tourist-safety-tops-digital-economy-minister-agenda-in-phuket-66384.php#0C4K8tDgWfpVM4Go.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-03-17

per the larger, linked article: "Dr Pichet also inspected the inspected CCTV command centre at the DDPM-Phuket offices, where he was shown that the 37 cameras with licence-plate recognition ability (LPR) currently set up at 10 installation points has so far recorded 59.38 million instances of identifying the licence plates of vehicles on Phuket’s roads."

didnt realize that phuket was the largest city in the world; likely the same vehicles over and over , each CCTV, one after the other;

thai style counting

• Like 1

"...Top priority was given to the ability of CCTV to help officials catch criminals. 

“We need to work more on having as much CCTV footage from across the island connect with the DDPM CCTV command centre,” Dr Pichet said.

“The ability to identify people by seeing their faces helps greatly to catch criminals, and this greatly works towards increasing the safety of tourists,” he added..."

Yes, without the ability to use CCTV, the police might have to go outside where the criminals are rather than enjoy the pleasure of an air-conditioned office.

And, it's hot out there...

• Like 2

Why do all Thai committee photos look the same? A group of older individuals, mainly men, sitting around looking like they'd rather be playing Candy Crush. Where are the young, dynamic, forward-thinking individuals that would be needed to work on projects like this? I wonder if there's ever a joke or a smile cracked, though the Doctor's wig might fall off if he tried such a thing!

The summary reminds me of the corporate-speak that I absolutely hated when I was working back in London.

This is the most fake article I have seen in years. There has never, ever been any concern for tourist safety, traffic safety, or public safety in the history of this nation. Never. Now, there is egg on their faces, due to them becoming the number one nation in traffic fatalities, and the world press is creating some loss of face, and humiliation for Thailand. In addition, there are alot of stories about tourists dying here, due to an astonishing number of hazards here. Alot of people come here for vacation, and leave in a wooden box. Crossing the street, getting taken out by motorbikes, dying in minivans, drownings, boat accidents, etc. So, they make up these stories about being concerned with tourist safety. All complete BS. The indifference on the part of the authorities and Little P, is glaring. No amount of hyperbole, and planning for the future is going to change that.

Real men and women act. Small men talk, and spout about plans and visions, and tell us about how things are going to change and improve. We are not interested. Show us. Do not tell us. Your words mean less than zero.

• Like 2

The quarterly we're concerned, but nothing ever gets done article.

It would be nice if they could help protect tourists from all the diving accidents, runaway buses, sinking/burning boats and sure death. All of which can be attributed to lack of training and pure stupidity.

I have my doubts this guy or anything he has ever said is worth a squirt.

BTW, that is the worst hairpiece I have ever seen.

Edited by Coconut Kidd
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, madmitch said:

Why do all Thai committee photos look the same? A group of older individuals, mainly men, sitting around looking like they'd rather be playing Candy Crush. Where are the young, dynamic, forward-thinking individuals that would be needed to work on projects like this? I wonder if there's ever a joke or a smile cracked, though the Doctor's wig might fall off if he tried such a thing!

The summary reminds me of the corporate-speak that I absolutely hated when I was working back in London.

Youngers are playing Candy Crush