SURVEY: Time to start culling stray animals?

Scott

SURVEY: Time to start culling stray animals?  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The recent outbreak of rabies has brought further attention to the number of domestic animals that roam the streets of Thailand.   In your opinion, which is the best option for dealing with the issue of stray animals.

Feel free to leave a comment.

• Like 1

It's certainly a central tennet of the belief system of a very large proportion of the Thai people ( whatever you feel about some of the "fake monkery" which goes on) that dogs should be allowed to live out their lives. That means that the "caring for them" option is probably the most appropriate option. How to pay for it? I really don't know.

Personally I dislike the idea of killing them, but then I'm not a fan of killing anyone or anything to arrive at a situation which one desires...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, uffe123 said:

Just was bitten by the neighbors dog. They stated that the dog had been vaccinated, but I dont believe them. went to the hospital and the doctor stated that the animal should have been taken to a vet for observation, which did not happen.

Now taking rabies shots as doctor recommended. Also had to had to get tetanus  shot., just because the fnk neighbor cant control their dogs and let them run wild. Why they dont round up all these mangy soi dogs. In the U.S. they wouldn't last long all be shot.

Please don't send me any more pm's, if you look at your post I gave you a 'like'. Your pm to me was totally inapropiate and reported!

• Like 1

The rabies outbreak doesn't bode well for street animals.   It is a public health risk and needs some type of attention.   A lot of the dogs (and some of the cats) maybe salvageable, but many are in such poor condition that other than being put down, they have very little chance of any quality of life.   

I have lived on a number of sois where strays were a problem.   I never had trouble with them, but the same dogs that were reasonably well behaved during the day would form packs at night and become quite aggressive.   I worked with several people who got attacked.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I certainly think that the wild/street animal population in Thailand has gotten out of control, but a cull is only part of the answer. There is considerable evidence that a cull alone will not solve the problem; there needs to be a simultaneous push for spaying animals on a huge scale. 

(members might want to look at the success/failure of animal control in Indian cities; it was essentially a failure)

If Thailand wants to control its population of stray/wild animals living in conjunction with people, it requires a huge commitment of time and money. Is Thailand willing to make that commitment? I would guess no. And if one part of an area doesn't follow the required guidelines, then no part off an area will be successful.

There is a good chance of success on an island like mine, but for Bangkok? I sincerely doubt that the commitment and resources will be there.

Sad really....

The argument in India against culling was that when dogs in an area were removed others moved into that area and fought for the new territory often resulting in humans being bitten.  It is not that culling does not work, it was that in their situation, with 30 million strays, they could never make enough of a dent in the population to make any difference.  But that does not mean that the same would be true of Thailand which is a much smaller country with much smaller urban areas and a much smaller dog problem,.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I did not vote since the acceptable option was not listed:

"rounded up, vaccinated and neutered, then released"

I think questions 1 & 2 are very similar and could easily be counted as the same question, which would at this stage would give a indication of how people are thinking on here.

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I'm more in favour of rounding up and euthanizing many of the western tourists I see here currently than I am culling the local dog population - this isn't the USA, thankfully.

Are you Serious ? Wait till one bites you and you get infected & wait to long  to get  a needle,,,, Guess what You will not have a Happy ending.

Pointless survey as Nobody is asking for or will take any notice of our opinion!

30+ years ago, Soi dogs were a problem, nothing has ever been done, why would they do anything now?

• Like 2

I may be incorrect but as I understand Thailand is a Buddhist nation and accordingly

Therefore, it is against the first precept to harm, kill or eat sentient beings as it is the same as harming, killing or eating the flesh of our own child or mother. Monks were forbidden from intentionally killing an animal, or drinking water with living creatures (such as larvae) in it.

Also as I also understand King Bumibul Adulyadej made it a crime to injure soi dogs by royal decree.  But I understand that may be incorrect. I have read that people that publicly ridiculed the kings dog were arrested under le magiste laws. 

I personally believe it is much better to treat a disease than to eliminate the victims. But I am an animal admirer

20 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Are you Serious ? Wait till one bites you and you get infected & wait to long  to get  a needle,,,, Guess what You will not have a Happy ending.

I have been here only 3 years and only one soi dog ever as much as barked at me. I was invading his territory. Dogs do not arbitrarily bite people without provocation. Just my experience

9 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I have been here only 3 years and only one soi dog ever as much as barked at me. I was invading his territory. Dogs do not arbitrarily bite people without provocation. Just my experience

Your so wrong. I've been bitten twice and same for my kids. These roaming killers need to be put down in my personal opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I think that is good but  would be too much work so it will never be done.

Why doesn't the survey include a spay & release choice?

And still have possible rabies-carrying dogs, loose on the street . . . where they might bite people. Would you like to be bitten by one of a bunch of soi-prowling mutts, knowing that failure to get the rabies medication might end up with your death certificate? Think about it!

I think the idea here was that the numbers would be reduced .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I have a great deal of respect and sympathy for this option, and had the effort been made years ago it might have been possible.

However, the sheer scale of the problem prohibits this policy at this time. It is a question of numbers; by the time you get a handle on the current number of animals, enough new ones will have made the policy moot. I can't tell you the exact number of stray animals, but with an adequate food supply they will continue breeding at a (relatively) rapid pace which will, in my view, outpace the neutering campaign.

As much as I dislike the thought, perhaps the best method is a mass, rapid cull swiftly followed by a catch, neuter and release program, coupled with a massive effort in removing food supply (essentially garbage) from the feral population.

Humans created this problem, and humans need to take responsibility. I think the above is the best, possible solution. Not ideal, but the best possible one...

• Like 2