Visa status while applying retirement visa

Good morning,

I will use an agency in Pattaya to apply for my retirement visa.

I will hand them over my passport on May 4, and my current visa ( including extension ) goes until May 26th.

Agency will process a Non O and retirement, but whole process will take 4 to 5 weeks.

I will have receipt from immigration that I payed the fee to apply for visa, but I am not sure what happens if i get stopped by police between May 27th and the time I receive the visa

Immigration does not hold the passport until the visa and extension of stay is done. They give it back to you as soon as the application is accepted and the stamps are done.

The agent should give you your passport back to you after the application is done.

Pattaya Agent can process the Non O Visa in 7 days which gives you 90 days to then process your Visa based on Retirement, You will get the 90 days stay from your Non B and they will add on the  12 months from your extension based on retirement  Total 15 mths. Friendly and Polite service in Pattaya

Stay away from agents.

It is so easy to do it yourself.

They have no right to hold on to your passport.

That should raise a red flag and tell you to stay away from them.

Edited by Phuket Man
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, torsten brack said:

I will hand them over my passport on May 4, and my current visa ( including extension ) goes until May 26th.

Agency will process a Non O and retirement, but whole process will take 4 to 5 weeks.

On what basis is your current extension of stay issued on?

You say that this will expire on May 26th and that the agency is telling you that the process will take 4 to 5 weeks to change to retirement, this doesn't sound remotely right at all.

Depending on your current extension, then it may be possible to change the reason for the extension of stay to retirement and if this can be done, providing that all of the paperwork and money seasoning in in place, then it should be the same day the application is made.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think he has a 60 day tourist visa entry since he states they will process a non-o visa.

Yes, you are probably right, although it still doesn't sound right that it will take an agency this length of time to process.

I thought that the process is that he must apply to change the entry to a non-o with immigration 15 days prior to the end of his current permission to stay, whilst showing that the money was transferred from overseas, immigration will then change the entry to the non-o, giving him 90 days to allow for the seasoning of the money, whereby he can apply for the extension of stay based on retirement 30 days before the end of this new non-o permission to stay?

As you have already stated, immigration will return the passport once the application to change to non-o has been made, even if the application does have to go to Bangkok for approval (not sure if that is the case with Jomtien?).

Each stage of the process will be stamped in to his passport.

Edited by Mattd

2 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

Stay away from agents.

28 minutes ago, sirocco said:

Agree with Phuket Man,
unless you have big problems in understanding, do it yourself.
It's not complicated. Come on, courage.

+1. In addition, one can never be 100% certain whether an agent will actually get one's passport stamped at the local immigration office - or whether this will instead be undertaken by a mate of theirs who is an expert in forgery. If an extension stamp is subsequently found to be a fake, it will be the passport holder who finds himself in deep doo-dah with the Immigration powers-that-be, not the agent or his forger pal!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

Yes, you are probably right, although it still doesn't sound right that it will take an agency this length of time to process.

I thought that the process is that he must apply to change the entry to a non-o with immigration 15 days prior to the end of his current permission to stay, whilst showing that the money was transferred from overseas, immigration will then change the entry to the non-o, giving him 90 days to allow for the seasoning of the money, whereby he can apply for the extension of stay based on retirement 30 days before the end of this new non-o permission to stay?

As you have already stated, immigration will return the passport once the application to change to non-o has been made, even if the application does have to go to Bangkok for approval (not sure if that is the case with Jomtien?).

Each stage of the process will be stamped in to his passport.

It's Pattaya. The agents fee will include tea money (usually around 15k baht) to pay for the change of visa status (this usually takes about 4-6 weeks, during which time the passport is retained by immigration), one year extension based on retirement and a multi re-entry permit all included on the return of the passport, without having to apply separately for the extension during the last 30 days of the non O visa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

Stay away from agents.

1 hour ago, sirocco said:

unless you have big problems in understanding, do it yourself.
It's not complicated. Come on, courage.

The "conversion" desk in Pattaya is almost 100% "agent only service" - almost impossible to "DIY" it there.  It would be easier to move to Bangkok for a short while, than to fight with their moving-goalpost game. 

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

You are describing how it works at offices where a legal, honest process exists.  Yes, that is how it should work.

In the past, the agent-processed conversion/extension combo deals put all the stamps into the buyer's passport at once - conversion and extension.  Perhaps, to cover their tracks and hide their violations of the rules, they are now doing the conversion step, waiting a 5 weeks, then doing the extension step, to make it look like the actual rules were followed.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

... one can never be 100% certain whether an agent will actually get one's passport stamped at the local immigration office - or whether this will instead be undertaken by a mate of theirs who is an expert in forgery. If an extension stamp is subsequently found to be a fake, it will be the passport holder who finds himself in deep doo-dah with the Immigration powers-that-be, not the agent or his forger pal!

Yes - which is one reason why I went to a consulate in a nearby country to get my starting Non-O, after being handed a made-up list of unofficial-qualifications when attempting a conversion at Jomtien.  For the OP, the best option would probably be Savannakhet or Penang - though staying in Bangkok a short while could also work.

@torsten brack - The good news is, after you have your initial Non-O, the Pattaya "retirement extension" desk is reported to be very helpful and polite.  They don't even enforce TM-30s, according to many reports.  Just show you have the money (in the bank or income or a qualifying combination of these), and you are set. 

There really is no need for an agent for this step in Jomtien, unless you need one to "fake the money."   

With agent-service, one doesn't need to meet the financial-qualifications, show proof of where you live, etc.  About the only rule that applies is that one must be over 50 (as it would be obvious from the passport DOB).  If using an agent to avoid meeting the qualifications, good luck with the criminal you select, and hope their greased-connections keep you safe.

22 minutes ago, sumrit said:

The agents fee will include tea money (usually around 15k baht) to pay for the change of visa status (this usually takes about 4-6 weeks, during which time the passport is retained by immigration), one year extension based on retirement and a multi re-entry permit all included on the return of the passport, without having to apply separately for the extension during the last 30 days of the non O visa.

About 2 weeks is all it takes to get the non immigrant visa stamp after the application is accepted and immigration returns the passport after the application is done. Then after 2 weeks they stamp the visa and 90 day entry stamps dated for the date the application is done and again they return the passport. Then during the last 45 days of the 90 day entry the extension can be applied for.

Many people have said that immigration keeps the passport but in reality it is the agent that holds it.

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

You are describing how it works at offices where a legal, honest process exists.  Yes, that is how it should work.

In the past, the agent-processed conversion/extension combo deals put all the stamps into the buyer's passport at once - conversion and extension.  Perhaps, to cover their tracks and hide their violations of the rules, they are now doing the conversion step, waiting a 5 weeks, then doing the extension step, to make it look like the actual rules were followed.

For the life of me I do not understand why there is any necessity to use an agent if it is a legitimate application.

The only reason that I can think of to use an agent is to circumnavigate a rule, like the cash requirements.

I do know of people that have done this process themselves in Jomtien and succeeded, immigration did not retain their passports, each time the process progressed the passport was stamped accordingly and returned.

6 hours ago, Siam Bruce said:

Pattaya Agent can process the Non O Visa in 7 days which gives you 90 days to then process your Visa based on Retirement, You will get the 90 days stay from your Non B and they will add on the  12 months from your extension based on retirement  Total 15 mths. Friendly and Polite service in Pattaya

Most agencies need 21 day to process, if you not have 21 day, you have to get extensions 

The agent is just to lazy to give your passport back tell you need it as you might have to leave the country, to apply for the non 0 it must be done no less than 15 days before your current visa expiration. If you do have to leave the country remember to get a re entry permit or the non 0 will be void upon departure. Don’t let the agent hold your passport for 5 weeks. If you from the US and don’t have the funds in the back just get a income letter from the US Embassy cost $ 50.00 and the the Non O yourself, then go back on the date advised the get the extension of stay based on retirement. You will save a shitload of $$$$ doing it yourself. 

7 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

Stay away from agents.

That is very good advice. 

4 hours ago, sumrit said:

It's Pattaya. The agents fee will include tea money (usually around 15k baht) to pay for the change of visa status (this usually takes about 4-6 weeks, during which time the passport is retained by immigration), one year extension based on retirement and a multi re-entry permit all included on the return of the passport, without having to apply separately for the extension during the last 30 days of the non O visa.

Not at all...I used an agent it took 18 days to process and return to me...and for you nay sayers, I have been to jomtein 2 times for re-entry permits and everything passed muster..

15 hours ago, Mattd said:

For the life of me I do not understand why there is any necessity to use an agent if it is a legitimate application.

Because, sometimes, a service is not available to honest applicants at a particular office.  They want a brown-envelope to do their job, or simply won't do it.

12 hours ago, Monkeyrobot said:

If you from the US and don’t have the funds in the back just get a income letter from the US Embassy cost $ 50.00

Had one - MFA Stamped - the Jomtien Conversions desk would not accept it, even if with an MFA stamp on it (verifying embassy-signature), and even with bank-books verifying the income stated was legit with "FTT" foreign transfers. 

You are highly unlikely to get a "Conversion to Non-O entry" in Jomtien without paying someone 15K Baht or more to payoff the IO to do their job.  Many have reported problems there.  Here is a good thread on the refusals and abuse you can expect in lieu of the "service and a smile" which should be expected for having everything required and more:

Edited by JackThompson

My wife and I went for our twelveth retirement extension yesterday in Hatyai. Unlike last year when they hassled us about the paperwork—the same paperwork that was sufficient for ten years before that—photographed my wife and I against the wall, scoffed at our embassy income letter as if it were useless, and demanded proof of B65k passing through our Thai bank each month. Then, reluctantly granted an extension only when I wrote a letter promising to channel my retirement income next year through a Thai bank account. Well, that was the straw, I was prepared to leave Thailand if one hassle was made this year. We had arranged the sale of our vehicles and household goods, informed our landlord and our friends, and had made reservations to Manila. 

Well, things went smoothly. A bunch of new female police captains—three stripe shoulder boards, Commanders if in the Navy—were running things. A very pleasant younger female police captain handled our paperwork, she apologized for taking so long, did not even ask about channeling the B65k monthly through our bank and asked for something no one else had asked for since the first extension—something I thought should have been asked—namely, copies our original non-imm O visas. Oh hell, both of us had gotten new passports since our initial non-imm visas. Fortunately, we had gone to Vietnam a few years ago without getting re-entry permits, had to redo the non-imm visa process, and still had those visas in our passports. The ever-so pleasant police captain almost apologetically stated, forget about what happened before, these are the new rules. Thus, we have our latest retirement extensions.      

22 hours ago, torsten brack said:

That timescale should prompt serious questions about where/how the visa/extension of stay is being obtained. Immigration would NEVER retain a passport for such a length of time.

• Like 1

As stated above no need to use agents their a rip-off, did my non-O in Oz 4 years ago then went to Jomtien for Retirement, the lady at counter 8 is most helpful, also the gentleman at end of counter,  I do all my own extensions, no problems, no need for agents

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JRUSA said:

Not at all...I used an agent it took 18 days to process and return to me...and for you nay sayers, I have been to jomtein 2 times for re-entry permits and everything passed muster..

Yes, until it doesn't . 

31 minutes ago, Swimman said:

That timescale should prompt serious questions about where/how the visa/extension of stay is being obtained. Immigration would NEVER retain a passport for such a length of time.

yep, and in the meantime you have lost control of the most important document that you possess here.  I would never let the passport out of my sight unless it was into official hands that I see for myself.  

3 hours ago, a977 said:

As stated above no need to use agents their a rip-off, did my non-O in Oz 4 years ago then went to Jomtien for Retirement, the lady at counter 8 is most helpful, also the gentleman at end of counter,  I do all my own extensions, no problems, no need for agents

You must have just got off yesterdays boat. Why do you think some bods here use agents?, A. They do not have the required funds or are not prepared to keep the money in the Thai bank for 3 months. I routinely bump into these people and the last one surprised me as he had just sold property back in his home country.

Hello,
If these candidates do not have the necessary funds and they can still have a non-OA extension, it is because somewhere there is some muddle,
  either immigration services or intermediaries.
I'll have to explain to them how they live in Thailand and what will happen if they have a big health problem.
A call for help on social networks ?????
This, without polemics, just know.