Tourist Visa Denied

After hearing lots of advice that said that the embassy in Yangon was nice with 60 day tourist visas. I have been recommending to my friends that they go there for their 60 day visas. However, recently one person was almost denied there, because the official said that they had been in thailand too long and they didn't understand why she need to be there. After arguing with her for a long time she was given a 60 day.

Now another friend has just been denied a 60 day visa by the embassy and is stuck in Yangon because she already has 3 50 day stamps on her passport. The embassy said that you can only stay for 90 days per six months. This apparently included tourist visas. i am unsure if she will have the same problem in KL or other cities, I called Singapore and they confirmed what Myanmar had said. Does anybody have any idea if this is a Myanmar policy or south-east asia.

Thanks

After hearing lots of advice that said that the embassy in Yangon was nice with 60 day tourist visas. I have been recommending to my friends that they go there for their 60 day visas. However, recently one person was almost denied there, because the official said that they had been in thailand too long and they didn't understand why she need to be there. After arguing with her for a long time she was given a 60 day.

Now another friend has just been denied a 60 day visa by the embassy and is stuck in Yangon because she already has 3 30 day stamps on her passport (Visas on Arrival). The embassy said that you can only stay for 90 days per six months. This apparently included tourist visas. i am unsure if she will have the same problem in KL or other cities, I called Singapore and they confirmed what Myanmar had said. Does anybody have any idea if this is a Myanmar policy or south-east asia or have any idea why she has been denied

Thanks

Now another friend has just been denied a 60 day visa by the embassy and is stuck in Yangon because she already has 3 30 day stamps on her passport (Visas on Arrival). The embassy said that you can only stay for 90 days per six months. This apparently included tourist visas. i am unsure if she will have the same problem in KL or other cities, I called Singapore and they confirmed what Myanmar had said. Does anybody have any idea if this is a Myanmar policy or south-east asia or have any idea why she has been denied

Thanks

I thought they start counting the days for the 6 months from when the rules changed, which was in Oct.

It hasn't been six months since Oct... Obviously they counted the 6 months from before the rule was implemented. If they are working retroactively that raelly bites.

Is the new rule that NO tourist can stay for more than 6 months?

Did your friend bring some supporting docs like an onward ticket and a bank account statement to show that she could support her trip (and is not working illegally!).

Thanks

:o:D:D:D:D:bah::bah::o;) Lopburi3 this one defies logic. :D

Edited by Harmony

Thanks

I just came back from Kuala Lumpur. Tried to get double entry tourist visa (story about trip to Cambodia by bus, blablabla). But lady there just asked me for show air-tickets. Of course I didn't have any so she gave me advise how to get re-entry permit :o Usually in situation like that I nod politely, so I left passport and another day I got tourist visa. Bangkok airport officer stamped 30 days (what allows me to extend it for 30 more days (and maybe later 14 & 7 days more - dunno how it works now)).

I've stayed in Thailand for 2,5 years - always on tourist visa. And from what I know in Yangoon/Hanoi/Phnom Penh embassies always make problems. They did even before October. One my friend didn't get visa in Myanmar, another 2 had big problems in Vietnam/Cambodia.. and after 30 minutes stupid stories they got visas and advise: "never come back to this embassy".

So my advise: KL, Vientiane, maybe Penang, maybe Singapore (I didn't check last 2 ones yet).

In 3 days I will know also what's going on in Hanoi.

We just don't know when/what/who yet so all reports are useful. But the idea that Rangoon would be a good choice of any kind of visa is not what I get from reading the forum. I suspect Rangoon is about as anxious to issue visas to 3rd country nationals as Phnom Penh is (not very).

Now that pandoras box has been opened who knows what is next? The guys who were living here for years in simplicity seem to be selling out and moving on. I was just told today of another man under 50 who is leaving and he has been a instituton in one area of Thailand for more tnan 5 years. Its all rather a silly way to handle things as many countries offer Americans 90 days on arrival and many other advantages.

The day Castro goes and they offer unrestricted flights back and forth from Miami to Havana it will also cancel a few flights to Thailand. A year ago I would not consider living anywhere else, This year I have a new set of maps and new bookmarks on my browser to see whats out there.

I thought they start counting the days for the 6 months from when the rules changed, which was in Oct.

It hasn't been six months since Oct... Obviously they counted the 6 months from before the rule was implemented. If they are working retroactively that raelly bites.

They did start counting the days in October but obviously that doesn't mean that 6 months have to pass before people start being denied entry on visa exempt entries. If you have already used your 90 allotted days you will have to wait until April until you can enter again on visa exempt entry.

Sophon

the nation state is MYANMAR, the city is YANGON. you may not like th epolitics - but get it right. name change has been in for well ne' a decade++.

myanmar = the 'golden' land (for thieving govt officials perhaps)

incidently - yangon used to be good place to get visa years ago. honest. i think lp guide even had a mention. of course that was YEARS ago...

Edited by jinjok

the nation state is MYANMAR, the city is YANGON. you may not like th epolitics - but get it right. name change has been in for well ne' a decade++.

myanmar = the 'golden' land (for thieving govt officials perhaps)

incidently - yangon used to be good place to get visa years ago. honest. i think lp guide even had a mention. of course that was YEARS ago...

The United Nations, United States and other nations still use the name "Burma".

UN Security Council resolution on Burma

Now that pandoras box has been opened who knows what is next? The guys who were living here for years in simplicity seem to be selling out and moving on. I was just told today of another man under 50 who is leaving and he has been a instituton in one area of Thailand for more tnan 5 years. Its all rather a silly way to handle things as many countries offer Americans 90 days on arrival and many other advantages.

The day Castro goes and they offer unrestricted flights back and forth from Miami to Havana it will also cancel a few flights to Thailand. A year ago I would not consider living anywhere else, This year I have a new set of maps and new bookmarks on my browser to see whats out there.

Wait, are people upset they cannot stay here indefinitly for no reason and most likely working illegally.

Good riddance.

No I think people are upset because all officials so far have said that obtaining a tourist visa would not be a problem and would not be effected by visa free arrival stamps.

As for working illegally perhaps you should realize there are many people living here under 50 that have ample money to do so and no interest what so ever of working in this pathetic paying market. Thailand is for spending money not making it.

Yep, the thought of fewer Americans, particularly ones under 50 wandering around is all that keeps me going; let's hope that Castro opens those borders sooner rather than later. :o

If your pal has been here for 5 years and cannot sort his ship out to get a visa other than rolling 30 days, then I hardly would consider him 'an institution'. Why doesn't he sort out a VISA in USA then come back here year on year?

90 days on arrival you say....well countries offering THai citizens visa on arrival get given 90 days; USA is not one of these, so you get 30 and you can extend it twice to get to 90 anyway. Not quite as easy, but certainly possible.

Comparing Thailand to 'other countries easier to visit' is a bit of a waste of time. I hardly consider that for the majority of tourists getting a 30 day or 90 day VISA on arival is going to be a deal breaker when they choose where to visit given that they can always get a VISA in advance for 90 days if they need if from the Thai consulate, and besides which given that the vast majority of tourists only stay less than 30 days anyway (average I think for the longest staying, which are Europeans, is about 16 days).

Sorry, but I just am dense, and don't get what you are trying to say.