Update On Tourist Visa To Australia

Last week i submitted all the paperwork for a tourist visa to Australia for my girlfriend.

Today was the day we were told to ring the office as the passport would be ready for collection.

My girlfriend got a call this morning and they asked her a few questions about how we met , how long we had known each other and was i supporting her etc

They then asked that she do a chest x-ray and bring back the results to the office.

Does this mean that we have been successful and all we need now is the health check?

Where should we get this done and what is the approx cost?

Cheers

It would appear to me that they are looking at a 12 month multi entry visa....the phone call received has indicated that in the past...however that is not a gimme at this stage.

I guess MM looks at it one way and I look at it another way....to me it says that they want the x ray before they make the decision. MM's glass must be half full and mine half empty.... :o

I do wonder if there is any reason that you can think of as to why she would need an X ray.....it is not the normal way of things but I have heard of it before.

Things have taken a turn for the worst.

My girlfriend received a second call from the embassy with a please explain for the five year visa overstay in Japan which occurred 10 years ago.

I am not sure how they got this info but now they know that she overstayed it is looking very bad.

They have not outright rejected the application but rather they have asked for a letter clarifying the reasons why she overstayed.

I am not very confident now but at least there is still a small chance of success.

I do wonder if there is any reason that you can think of as to why she would need an X ray.....it is not the normal way of things but I have heard of it before.

It may not be a requirement of each and every tourist visa application but it can be called for.

In our case, our first and second tourist visa did not require a medical. The third did. My g/f was required to undergo a chest X-ray for TB.

It could have something to do with the length of visa time the Embassy is considering. Our first two tourist visas were for three months, the third was for six months.

It is interesting that the Aussie Embassy may have accessed the Japanese data base and detected the overstay.....or maybe the girlfriend divulged this information when questioned over the telephone.

I have to agree with Tolley, it doesn't sound good. :o

MM

I think they got this information from the Thai passport office as i know for sure that they were aware of the overstay as she had to go through a few hoops in 2004 when she wanted to get a new passport.

It does look bad but there is a small glimmer of hope as they could have just rejected it outright.

On the positive side they were impressed with my paperwork and we definitely would have got the visa had it not been for the Japanese overstay so all the advice here on Thai Visa has been excellent.

MM

I think they got this information from the Thai passport office as i know for sure that they were aware of the overstay as she had to go through a few hoops in 2004 when she wanted to get a new passport.

It does look bad but there is a small glimmer of hope as they could have just rejected it outright.

On the positive side they were impressed with my paperwork and we definitely would have got the visa had it not been for the Japanese overstay so all the advice here on Thai Visa has been excellent.

Now I remember your situation.... she has been pinged for the overstay...theres not much we can say....it is upto the Embassy now.

Did you do a Stat Dec as suggested ????

all we can do is wish you luck

Yes, they could have rejected the application outright but as the overstay matter has now come to light after asking her to undergo a chest X-ray, I'm assuming that they discovered this information some time after making the first phone call to her. Hence the need for the second phone call.

It suggests to me that the Embassy had full intentions of issuing the visa but now are having second thoughts.

A five year Japan overstay is going to be very difficult to explain. I suspect that she would have also been working in Japan during those years.

If she was deported from Japan, the situation becomes a huge hurdle to overcome. If she departed Japan without official intervention, the situation is slightly less of a problem.

I suggest to you that you engage the services of your local MP to assist with the submission. You will need to supply assurances from a number of people that whilst in Oz she will abide by all visa conditions and will return to Thailand upon the expiration of the visa.

She may like to consider obtaining a report from her doctor/Govt. official stating that she is now a mature and responsible person and sincerely regrets her Japan transgression.

Put some effort into your written response to the Embassy's questions, good luck and keep us informed.

• 3 weeks later...

I submitted the letter outlining the circumstances of my girls deportation from Japan and we submitted the paperwork for this nearly two weeks ago.

The passport is still sitting with the embassy so I am wondering is it normal for things to take this long?

Is this a good or a bad sign?

I submitted the letter outlining the circumstances of my girls deportation from Japan and we submitted the paperwork for this nearly two weeks ago.

The passport is still sitting with the embassy so I am wondering is it normal for things to take this long?

Is this a good or a bad sign?

Your girls situation is a little tricky...

good or bad ??

Too hard to call....all you can do is wait

Sorry

• 3 weeks later...

The saga continues.....after not hearing from the embassy for over a month we got a phone call today from a very nice lady at the Embassy who stated that her supervisor wanted more evidence that we were in a relationship.

We are applying for a tourist visa so i thought that is a little strange considering it isn't for a settlement or marriage visa.

Nonetheless i asked them what more could i provide considering i had already given the Western Union transfers (i think i lost some of them but still had about 12) , photos, a stat dec that i made in Australia, copies of income for the last six months, a copy of my lady's tabien bahn plus two more letters outlining circumstances.

The lady then asked if i had phone records and emails which i don't as i used Optus prepaid cards and my lady's english is not really good enough to use email. She also asked for more Western Union transfers which i don't have as i have spent 8 months over the last two had a half years in Thailand so didn't need to send money as i was already here. She then asked if i could provide more photos.

This has turned into a real saga and they are really making us jump thru hoops to get a tourist visa. On the plus side despite the fact that she was deported from Japan 10 years ago they haven't rejected the application.

Any thoughts?

'

The saga continues.....after not hearing from the embassy for over a month we got a phone call today from a very nice lady at the Embassy who stated that her supervisor wanted more evidence that we were in a relationship.

We are applying for a tourist visa so i thought that is a little strange considering it isn't for a settlement or marriage visa.

Nonetheless i asked them what more could i provide considering i had already given the Western Union transfers (i think i lost some of them but still had about 12) , photos, a stat dec that i made in Australia, copies of income for the last six months, a copy of my lady's tabien bahn plus two more letters outlining circumstances.

The lady then asked if i had phone records and emails which i don't as i used Optus prepaid cards and my lady's english is not really good enough to use email. She also asked for more Western Union transfers which i don't have as i have spent 8 months over the last two had a half years in Thailand so didn't need to send money as i was already here. She then asked if i could provide more photos.

This has turned into a real saga and they are really making us jump thru hoops to get a tourist visa. On the plus side despite the fact that she was deported from Japan 10 years ago they haven't rejected the application.

Any thoughts?

'

As you are in Thailand now it may be difficult to obtain copies from Optus and/or WU...I would be e mailing the requests and saving and printing out any mails sent and received as evidence you have tried to comply

They are obviously concerned about the overstay and it is a good sign that you havent been rejected outright...But in the end you can only produce what you can...

Any thoughts?

'

As you are in Thailand now it may be difficult to obtain copies from Optus and/or WU...I would be e mailing the requests and saving and printing out any mails sent and received as evidence you have tried to comply

They are obviously concerned about the overstay and it is a good sign that you havent been rejected outright...But in the end you can only produce what you can...

I have sent an email to Optus and will see what happens.....I have collected more photos and am writing another short story and am giving them photocopies of my passport with all the time i have spent in Thailand over the last few years so hopefully that will do the trick....

The Embassy have asked for proof of a genuine relationship because of their knowledge of her Japan experience. Obviously, they don't want her arriving in Australia on a tourist visa, leaving you and going off to find work in places unknown. They would then have to track her down and deport her.

You therefore need to put a lot more together than a record of money transfers. Money transfers do little to prove a genuine relationship.

You need to submit statutory declarations from others. Family, friends, neighbours etc., both in Australia and Thailand, who have knowledge of you both and who are prepared to put in writing their view of the genuineness of the relationship. The more you get, the better.

You need to fully explain your living arrangements when you were in Thailand. Who paid the bills etc. You may not have receipts to produce but you should still outline the situation and name the public utilities with whom you had these dealings.

Was there a landlord? Ask him for written support.

You need to submit a comprehensive covering letter explaining your living arrangements from day one with her and outlining your future plans etc.

The fact that the Embassy haven't rejected your application outright, indicates that they are still undecided. This should be regarded as a positive.

If you are now in Thailand, you both can request an interview to personally explain your situation and to allow questioning from an Australian official.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

The Embassy have asked for proof of a genuine relationship because of their knowledge of her Japan experience. Obviously, they don't want her arriving in Australia on a tourist visa, leaving you and going off to find work in places unknown. They would then have to track her down and deport her.

You therefore need to put a lot more together than a record of money transfers. Money transfers do little to prove a genuine relationship.

You need to submit statutory declarations from others. Family, friends, neighbours etc., both in Australia and Thailand, who have knowledge of you both and who are prepared to put in writing their view of the genuineness of the relationship. The more you get, the better.

You need to fully explain your living arrangements when you were in Thailand. Who paid the bills etc. You may not have receipts to produce but you should still outline the situation and name the public utilities with whom you had these dealings.

Was there a landlord? Ask him for written support.

You need to submit a comprehensive covering letter explaining your living arrangements from day one with her and outlining your future plans etc.

The fact that the Embassy haven't rejected your application outright, indicates that they are still undecided. This should be regarded as a positive.

If you are now in Thailand, you both can request an interview to personally explain your situation and to allow questioning from an Australian official.

Thanks MM.

I asked them about letters from people here in Thailand and they weren't interested.

They wanted more photos and phone bills bit i will outline in another letter which is now the third letter so hopefully this will do the trick.

Thanks for all the information guys.

Today we got word that the tourist visa was approved.

Considering that we had to battle against a five year overstay and deportation from Japan this is an outstanding result.

It just goes to show that if you get all the paperwork right and you are determined anything can happen.

Again thanks for all the good advice.

Congradulations to the OP considering the circumstances. What length of stay did you apply for?

.......In our case, our first and second tourist visa did not require a medical. The third did. My g/f was required to undergo a chest X-ray for TB.

It could have something to do with the length of visa time the Embassy is considering. Our first two tourist visas were for three months, the third was for six months.

This is the case. A friend had to get his TW x-rayed for TB for a 6 month visa. As stated has to be done at an Embassy recommended hospital.

I originally applied for a six month tourist visa.

They have granted a three month visa but have said that this should open the way to more visas if everything goes smoothly.

In my case it is perfect as I am going to do a three month contract so that works out perfectly.

gburns57au and Mighty Mouse a special thanks to you two guys who gave invaluable information.

As a side note i would like to add that we have a genuine relationship and we had mountains of documentary evidence to prove it so i really think justice was served and that the embassy recognised that we were serious about our plans.

.....we have a genuine relationship and we had mountains of documentary evidence to prove it ....

With a three month tourist visa you now have an ideal opportunity to gather another mountain of documentary evidence to produce with your next visa application, whether that be for another tourist visa or a spouse visa.

Your next application should be a walk in the park as compared to this one.

I hope she loves Oz. Good luck to you both.