"It sounds hilarious -  but it wasn't funny for me!" says Thai man after huge king cobra shock

snoop1130

"It sounds hilarious -  but it wasn't funny for me!" says Thai man after huge king cobra shock

fgt.JPG

A Thai palm plantation owner recounted a snake tale he will doubtless tell for the rest of his life.

And he has a video to prove that he didn't make up the story of him and a King Cobra as big as himself!

Preecha Wongpan was going to inspect his plantation behind his house in Kanchanadit district of Surat Thani when he saw something unusual. 

It was an owl eating chicken's eggs. Preecha's attention was fixed solely on the owl but without warning the owl seemed disturbed and flew off into the sky seemingly in a panic.

Preecha wondered what had caused that and turned round to see a massive King Cobra rearing up behind him. The snake had a "hood" the size of a person's face and was standing 1.8 meters tall, the same as him.

"My heart nearly stopped," he said. "It was literally just a few meters away. I kept calm and backed up slowly not wanting to take my eyes off it in case it attacked me.

"When I got far enough away I went to get help. It sounds funny but it wasn't!"

Villagers with experience in snake catching were called and a large crowd gathered to see the snake eventually placed into a sack so that it could be released elsewhere.

The event was recorded for posterity in a video shared with Daily News reporters by Sombat Muangmee, 40, yesterday.

The King Cobra is the world's longest venomous snake. This one was 4.10 meters long above average for an adult of the species.

Wikipedia says that one measuring 5.85 meters was once found. 

Source: https://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/633881

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-3-22

24 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

We have a cobra that is about 3m long, lives in our plantation by the house.

I've come across it twice, eating my Guinea Fowl eggs. Gets the hairs on your neck standing to attention :)

Nice for you that you know where it is. Good Luck! :cheesy:

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

without warning the owl seemed disturbed and flew off into the sky seemingly in a panic.

Preecha wondered what had caused that and turned round to see a massive King Cobra rearing up behind him. The snake had a "hood" the size of a person's face and was standing 1.8 meters tall, the same as him.

The owl may have heard the swami playing the flute!

image.jpeg

I was cooking breakfast in my kitchen in NST when I reached backwards for the spatula to turn over my bacon. It was a spatula.. But a rising cobra. Only one door in and one door out and bars on the windows. Interesting route outta there!! I wasn't funny either!