Is my visa still valid

Hello All,

I am looking for some help/advice. Let me give some brief details to help explain my situation.

I moved to Thailand from the UK in April 2008 on a retirement visa using the 800,000Bt in the bank method, extending this annually.Fast forward a few years. On the 29th Sept 2015 I applied for a reentry permit which was valid until the 14th Feb 2016, the reason for this was for an intended holiday with my then girlfriend now wife. Whilst in the UK I was diagnosed with base of tongue cancer for which I had radical treatment, surgery, chemo and radio therapy, with all of this going on it has meant that we had to stay in the UK while I recovered  from the treatment. I am now in the position where I can now think about returning to Thailand, so my question is does anyone know what my Immigration status would be, such as would my original visa still be active, or would I be able to regenerate it? I do still have the 800,000Bt in my Thai bank.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks jb1

Your previous visa/extension of stay/re-entry permit have all expired. You will need to start the process again from scratch.

If you’re married to a Thai you can easily get a Single or Multiple Entry Non -Immigrant ‘O’ Visa in the UK. That will give you 90 days on entry. Within the last 30 days of the 90 you can apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement OR marriage.

If you are planning to live in Thailand you only need a Single Entry Non ‘O’. A Multiple Entry Visa would only be necessary if you’re living in the UK and travelling regularly to Thailand.

Hello Elviajero,

Thanks for your reply. I suspected that my visa to stay + reentry would have expired. Your comments are very helpful though. At the moment I am not able to say if I intend to locate permanently in Thailand again yet. The 90 day visa you mentioned, with the opportunity to extend  sounds good. The 90 day extention is that just a one off, or can that be extended annually, also where in Thailand would I have to go to get the extention? Would I need to go to the Thai Embassy in London to obtain the first 90 day visa or cold I do that in the Consulate in Hull.

Do you know if it would be possible for me to obtain a yellow book for my wife's home on the 90 day visa. Sorry to be a pain.

Thanks

jb1

2 hours ago, jimbeam1 said:

The 90 day extention is that just a one off, or can that be extended annually, also where in Thailand would I have to go to get the extention?

1 year extensions can be renewed every year without leaving the country. You apply at the immigration office that covers the area where you live.

Would I need to go to the Thai Embassy in London to obtain the first 90 day visa or cold I do that in the Consulate in Hull.

You could only get a Single entry visa from Hull, which you must apply for in person. 

You can can get a Single OR Multiple entry visa from London, which you can apply for by post OR in person. Post is best.

Do you know if it would be possible for me to obtain a yellow book for my wife's home on the 90 day visa.

Yes, but it would come down to the local Amphoe’s policy. Get one if you can, but there is no major benefit in having a ‘yellow book’.

Incidentally, any 90 day entry/stay can be extended by 60 days. That can useful for 90/150 day visits until you make a permanent move.

Hello Elviajero,

Thanks for your reply. As far as the yellow book is concerned, if I did have one wouldn't that mean that I would not have to  show any further proof of address when going to immigration for stamp? just looking for less hassle.

Thanks

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

49 minutes ago, jimbeam1 said:

Hello Elviajero,

Thanks for your reply. As far as the yellow book is concerned, if I did have one wouldn't that mean that I would not have to  show any further proof of address when going to immigration for stamp? just looking for less hassle.

Thanks

jb1

No. It has no use when it comes to immigration. All immigration would need (if anything) is a form (TM.30) completed by your wife.

7 hours ago, elviajero said:

No. It has no use when it comes to immigration. All immigration would need (if anything) is a form (TM.30) completed by your wife.

This assumes that he will be living in a house owned by his wife - what if they live in rented accommodation?

9 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

This assumes that he will be living in a house owned by his wife - what if they live in rented accommodation?

It could be the same if the rental agreement is in his wife's name. The immigration act allows the possessor to do the report.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jimbeam1 said:

Do you know if it would be possible for me to obtain a yellow book for my wife's home on the 90 day visa. Sorry to be a pain.

The usefulness of the yellow book has been covered, in my case I cannot get a yellow book until I am on a on year extension of stay.

I cannot get while on the 90 day visa entry.

There is one big advantage that you already have and that is that you still have the 800,000baht in the Thai bank account for your 1 year extension whether it be a retirement extension or you only need 400,000baht if you go for a marriage extension