"Don't worry - Chinese space station won't drop on your head!" air chief marshal reassures Thais

webfact

2 hours ago, tandor said:

.Jesus wept.

That's it!! Bring religion into it why don't you!

I for one would like to know it's estimated flight path. Might have to send the wife to the village temple for good luck! Don't get too much with the lottery though. Think we are doomed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

He said there is only a one per cent chance of any of Tiangong 1 falling in Thailand.

Fact-checking:

- 1% chance of TingTong is falling in Thailand.
- TingTong is how big? Let's be very generous and imagine the whole TingTong thing is falling in ONE piece (which it won't), so let say it is 100m2 (i.e. 10m by 10m)(pieces are smaller obviously)
-Thailand is 513,120 km2=513,120,000,000 m2

So the chance that it would crash on YOUR head is about 1% of 1/51,312,000,000; is roughly 1.9489x10(-12)=0.00000000000019489 (I might have missed a couple of decimal places somewhere 555)

In REAL life the chance that TingTong would fall on YOUR head is roughly about ZERO :smile:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

Fact-checking:

- 1% chance of TingTong is falling in Thailand.
- TingTong is how big? Let's be very generous and imagine the whole TingTong thing is falling in ONE piece (which it won't), so let say it is 100m2 (i.e. 10m by 10m)(pieces are smaller obviously)
-Thailand is 513,120 km2=513,120,000,000 m2

So the chance that it would crash on YOUR head is about 1% of 1/51,312,000,000; is roughly 1.9489x10(-12)=0.00000000000019489 (I might have missed a couple of decimal places somewhere 555)

In REAL life the chance that TingTong would fall on YOUR head is roughly about ZERO :smile:

Like the maths!! But the truth is that if you are under TingTong's flight path there is more chance of it hitting you than if you were 500k away.

• Like 1

The probability is indeed extremely low, but why did that ACM Jom feel the need to declare that to the media? In need of attention, feeling neglected? Not yet a member of the Junta or a Minister, is it? Poor chap. ...Just another decorated clown wanting his minute of media glitter? Sigh!

• Like 2

This   an  obvious  for  asian  bashers  aint it. lol

Ignored is the  quantity  of  space  junk that  regularly falls but  is  only  mentioned  in some  obscure   section  of  any   media.

But  given  current   passion  for  anything   negative   about  Asia suddenly  it  is a looming  doomsday?

Lets   get   back to UFO  sightings  before  the boredom becomes dangerous !

Or...  form a  Rabid  Dog Hunting   Club!

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:
5 hours ago, PatOngo said:

This will surely push up the price of amulets for the superstitious.

Isn't that a spelling mistake, surely it should be: This will surely push up the price of amulets for the gullible.

I'd think just regular stitious would be enough to purchase (or rent) an amulet. :shock1:

3 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Ah, great, another Thai expert.

All the reports I have read from NASA etc aren't sure when or where yet as it is out of control.

:burp:

NASA knows nothing - this man (Air Chief Marshal) is chief of the air! So he knows all about the falling space station! :coffee1:

Oh ye of little faith. :smile:

Edited by lvr181
Additional

13 hours ago, owl sees all said:

That's it!! Bring religion into it why don't you!

I for one would like to know it's estimated flight path. Might have to send the wife to the village temple for good luck! Don't get too much with the lottery though. Think we are doomed.

MTUyMjE0OTk4MQ==

There you are...not much info eh?:smile::smile:

33 minutes ago, BEngBKK said:

I have worked with Thai Engineers from the Thai space agency GISTADA...

They are actually quite competent......:sorry:

That is great BUT they are only quite competent not all wise all knowing ACMs. :smile:

Glade his right and in the know. :smile:

Could you imagine if it did hit Thailand. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

There would be mass panic on the roads with most of Thailand

trying to get to the crash site, ignoring and radiation warnings or dead people.

In the hope,   they could get Lottery numbers off the side of it. :shock1:   :giggle:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, lvr181 said:

NASA knows nothing - this man (Air Chief Marshal) is chief of the air! So he knows all about the falling space station! :coffee1:

Oh ye of little faith. :smile:

Err, you don't read the news then, or are just having a laugh...?

The latest is it will drop almost anywhere between latitude 65N and 33S.

Sarcasm is not easy to write.

It is a good bet it will drop in the water though... better odds then getting killed on Thai roads every day.

:cheesy:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

2 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Err, you don't read the news then, or are just having a laugh...?

The latest is it will drop almost anywhere between latitude 65N and 33S.

Sarcasm is not easy to write.

It is a good bet it will drop in the water though... better odds then getting killed on Thai roads every day.

:cheesy:

having a laugh...  a 'serious' laugh :thumbsup: