any recommendations for an assisted living retirement facility in

Wang Lalker

I think you may be struggling can't say I have ever heard of one, in Udon at least. There might be one in ChiangMai but thats not what your asking. The Thai way is to look after family till the end though maybe in the last years a few may have popped up. A  full time live in carer at your residence would probably be easier to find. You might get a more helpful response posting in one of the medical/ health forums some very helpful members oN those.

Edited by starky

some here but not where i would prefer to be
https://iglu.net/care-facilities-for-elderly-assisted-living-in-thailand/

"Full time caregivers without a nursing degree can be hired for as little as 8000-10,000 baht per month (USD$225-280) in Chiang Mai."
any idea where i might find one of these in the region required, not even full time, day time providing meal and shopping would be all that is currently required when i come to udon region

9 minutes ago, starky said:

I think you may be struggling can't say I have ever heard of one, in Udon at least. There might be one in ChiangMai but thats not what your asking. The Thai way is to look after family till the end though maybe in the last years a few may have popped up. A  full time live in carer at your residence would probably be easier to find. You might get a more helpful response posting in one of the medical/ health forums some very helpful members oN those.

ok thanks for the insight, will try the health section if this one goes nowhere

came across this https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Optical-By-Srithong/506335962730029
but thats all the info got so far. dont know if the prime location is correct

nope seems like just a spam advertising site https://theoptical.en.ec21.com/

Edited by Wang Lalker

another 11 places to chose from at http://www.theprivilegeliving.com/Accommodations.html
but still none in the north east
there is Faculty of Medicine Khon Kaen University http://www.intermed.kku.ac.th/
but cant determine yet if they offer the minimal care facility i am hoping to find. but they do seem to have a palliative care option if thats what you require

43 minutes ago, jackdd said:

http://baanounrukudon.com

GPS location: 17.332239, 102.833597

A few kilometers outside of Udon Thani city

No idea what exactly they offer, i just passed by. But even if it's not what you are looking for, maybe they can give you advice

thanks for that. well its a start. looks small and new. https://goo.gl/maps/ToBXV6dYi5M2

helps me crystallize my thinking as to what i want. will keep looking for more

Edited by Wang Lalker

10 hours ago, Wang Lalker said:

perhaps all i really need is to become more app enabled, online shopping and home delivery
anyone successfully using these to cut their outside time to minimal? which ones?

What do you want delivered?

Most places have companies that deliver meals from restaurants.

Have you considered hiring a Thai to assist you with certain things. You could hire a house keeper that could do the shopping for you.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What do you want delivered?

Most places have companies that deliver meals from restaurants.

Have you considered hiring a Thai to assist you with certain things. You could hire a house keeper that could do the shopping for you.

perhaps i should ask at the street stalls, thai style open air come-as-you are restaurants where i eat if they can do delivery after sms order. language may be an issue initially

16 hours ago, Wang Lalker said:

perhaps i should ask at the street stalls, thai style open air come-as-you are restaurants where i eat if they can do delivery after sms order. language may be an issue initially

In Ubon TGF had once for a while "healthy" meals delivered to our house daily by motocy.

Very tasty and hardly more expensive that ready made pack meals at Tesco.

Start and stop delivery instantly by phone.

Recommended by her gym coach and prepared by a company that caters for people on a diet or special food needs.

if the op is looking for something like what was in the uk.OLD PEOPLES HOMES for get about it.

there was enough that went on in the news early 2000 and the way old people were treated. big money business.

but to find one here well better live with the native's on an island somewhere.

do whats suggested get youself a condo and a housekeeper,my inlaws have 3 Burmese ladies working for them and they are first class.

2 hours ago, meatboy said:

if the op is looking for something like what was in the uk.OLD PEOPLES HOMES for get about it.

there was enough that went on in the news early 2000 and the way old people were treated. big money business.

but to find one here well better live with the native's on an island somewhere.

do whats suggested get youself a condo and a housekeeper,my inlaws have 3 Burmese ladies working for them and they are first class.

dont think i could be that messy even if i tried

they gonna need a work permit from some where dont think a farang could do that

perhaps relocate to burma instead would have to check visas

at the risk of exposing my sheltered life i can honestly say that i have never walked past the street corner where the housekeepers harass passers by from,
sure i can tell you where the noodle sellers, chicken rice sellers, moto and tuktuk, transvestites, bar girls, etc hang out but housekeepers are a totally different world for me. no idea

On 4/11/2018 at 4:44 PM, Wang Lalker said:

Most of your groceries you can do on Tesco Lotus online so that would take away grocery shopping. Other items can be bought from Lazada. Ready-made-meals, I can't really help, but I am sure that in either one of the cities you named there are restaurants who deliver to your house. You can go to such place once, tell them your situation and come up with a number ordering option. Beu 1 = .... Beu 2 = ... or you could order up front for the whole week.

OP, you really haven't specified the extent of support you'd want/need, and whether it would be on an ongoing basis, or just a temporary basis for a visit. That's going to influence your options.

For example, can you get around in your home/house/apartment OK, or you'd need someone to be around pretty constantly for that.  Or, you just can't or don't want to travel to far from home. In the later case, Tesco does delivery and so does Tops Supermarket in Udon Thani. And lots of other things can also be ordered for delivery via Lazada.

Or, do you have medical support needs that someone like a nurse or nurse's aide would be the right answer for? A run-of-the-mill housekeeper might be fine for routine home chores and errands, but might not be up for handling medical related things.

Generally speaking in a place like Udon, there's likely to be an ample supply of willing labor for routine household / maid type things. If that's all you need, you just need to network with some non-nightlife type Thais who usually know someone who knows someone who knows someone.

my issue lasted a month which reduced by ability to walk the street but seems to have past with unknown re-occurrence possibility
fortunately the hotel staff were obliging in buying and bringing me food during the worst. so yes it was just that get the food in that i needed otherwise i was fine.
the other thing is i am not in the habit of sharing my living space, i like to be alone in my underwear with my internet connection. i very rarely let people in to do any cleaning i just dont like the disturbance,
but if there was a minimal assist residence available at reasonable cost i would still go for it longer term, nice to know there is help there if need be and the future is uncertain and the years are passing and not going backwards
"you just need to network" this is beyond me i am confirmed long term recluse

52 minutes ago, Wang Lalker said:

"you just need to network" this is beyond me i am confirmed long term recluse

Ya, the underwear comment kind of confirmed that fact.

Of course, you don't have to share you home with anyone on a live-in basis just to have, for example, someone come by once week or whatever for cleaning and maybe run some errands for you. As in, hire some one to work for you one day a week.

But at some point, as we all get older, you're going to have to allow someone or someones else to start handling the things that you perhaps cannot or don't want to handle any longer. Whether that's living in some kind of assisted facility or living on your own. I would think, living on your own with once a week help would be less intrusive than being in some kind of facility.

As for the networking part, again just for example, you mentioned staying at a hotel. Well, hotels have maids, and maids know other maids. So one starting approach might be to chat with the hotel's maids, tell them what you're looking for, and see if they know or can suggest someone. And if you can't talk directly with them, have one of the hotel staff put out the word for you among the maid workers there. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the hotel maids might be willing to do the job on her day off or after hours for your extra pay, especially in a setting that's already her workplace.

Just some ideas....