Songkran where to be , or no to be

jkthai

A  couple of people I know have mentioned that it can get pretty crazy over the holidays ,

so just wondering where it is best to go for the Songkran period, is central Bangkok as bad as say Chiang Mai , I last spent the holidays up there about 10 years ago and vowed never again.

So where is recommended , stay in the city or on the outskirts , or go somewhere else alltogether.

• Like 2

Basically, avoid Pattaya as it will be drunk ferangs with no brains thinking its funny to throw ice cold bucket of water over someone riding a motorbike —— funny that is, until someone does to them !,,

most places Songkran is only two days at most. If you keep out of main built up areas its not too bad.

Mostly I'm a pretty much stay indoors or get out of the country for it. After 20 odd years I can say the first few were sorta fun and I've done my best to dodge everyone since then. Ordinary holiday

I am travelling to Bangkok with my wife and 2-year-old daughter. I am landing on 14 th April in the evening and I am leaving on 16 th April. Which area do you suggest to stay? Is there big posisbility to be splashed with water even with a small child in the stroller?

2 minutes ago, drmariusz said:

I am travelling to Bangkok with my wife and 2-year-old daughter. I am landing on 14 th April in the evening and I am leaving on 16 th April. Which area do you suggest to stay? Is there big posisbility to be splashed with water even with a small child in the stroller?

In most area's you should be fine...  Obviously avoid the area's which are 'designated' water fight zones such as Silom, Koh Sarn Road etc... Also, avoid the areas with lots of bars (i.e. Soi 11 etc) where the drink causes people to lose both their inhibitions and common sense. 

In other area's there may be some 'play' but most will be respectful of the wishes of those who do not wish to get wet, especially with children. 

In central Bangkok, over Songkran, I've never encountered any issues... some may encounter an unwanted soaking but that could be the area's they live in or go to. 

Thonglor & Ekammai don't really have much in the way of 'water fighting'... 

• Like 1

Have a condo in a massive block on lower Sukhumvit. Several bars attached, supermarket, 7/11, family Mart, resteraunts, gym pool, several massage places, resteraunts all inside.

I could survive a nuclear holocaust let alone some water splashing.

Avoid Pattaya at all costs. It's a frigging nightmare Songkran

I don’t get all the negativity here. As an expat I have lived in Bangkok for almost a decade and have celebrated Songkran for the last 5 years and had a blast each time. I too was advised by my “I am too good for this” foreigner friends that oh Songkran is soo this n’ that. On quite the contrary it’s a great way experience one of Asia’s most amazing festival. It’s a pity that it’s portrayed with such a negativity by an opinionated few.

Fun part of the festival is about going out on the street with water guns and having an all out water fight with strangers - I mean how bad can it be - getting splashed with water on hot and humid day that is - grow and live a live a little people!!! And besides most of the Thais are very courteous and friendly in this regards - on these water fights I have never seen any real fights break out.
And believe me if they see you with a small kid they are for the most part courteous and careful. Local Thais too go out on the streets with their little kids to partake on this festival you know!!

Even at bars in Pattaya and Silom that they speak of the worst that happens is a usual bar scene with drunk foreigners - just be prepared for some extra loud music and getting throughly wet. Big deal!!!

Don’t get me wrong - Thai roads are dangerous and death toll go up specially in Songkran and there are always some people who take it a little too far - and that one should always err on the side of safety - for the most part this festival is a ton of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 4/3/2018 at 6:50 PM, drmariusz said:

no last 4 years has been so quiet and even if you have a shirt on or jeans by urself and just say "im not playing" you will be left alone.

if your with your family there is no way you will be targeted.

i dunno i love it so much though so maybe i just dont notice getting hammered by water, i was 18 the first time in samut sakhon it was so much fun, now im 31 and i still want ice to be chucked at my head, was gutted when they made it all quiet.

On 3/30/2018 at 11:37 AM, Roymac said:

Likewise. Mostly drunk farangs behaving badly ! I leave the country.

I think leaving the country for Songkran is a bit OTT. With a bit of preparation, it's easy to get through it in a relaxed manner. I manage fine in Pattaya so it should be a piece of cake in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, where the watersports are minor and far shorter by comparison. 

Another thing to consider is the post-Songkran feeling of sheer bliss that you'll miss out on if you miss Songkran. The day after, in Pattaya, is one of the best days of the year.:smile:

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, neupaneaj said:

I don’t get all the negativity here. As an expat I have lived in Bangkok for almost a decade and have celebrated Songkran for the last 5 years and had a blast each time. I too was advised by my “I am too good for this” foreigner friends that oh Songkran is soo this n’ that. On quite the contrary it’s a great way experience one of Asia’s most amazing festival. It’s a pity that it’s portrayed with such a negativity by an opinionated few.

Fun part of the festival is about going out on the street with water guns and having an all out water fight with strangers - I mean how bad can it be - getting splashed with water on hot and humid day that is - grow and live a live a little people!!! And besides most of the Thais are very courteous and friendly in this regards - on these water fights I have never seen any real fights break out.
And believe me if they see you with a small kid they are for the most part courteous and careful. Local Thais too go out on the streets with their little kids to partake on this festival you know!!

Even at bars in Pattaya and Silom that they speak of the worst that happens is a usual bar scene with drunk foreigners - just be prepared for some extra loud music and getting throughly wet. Big deal!!!

Don’t get me wrong - Thai roads are dangerous and death toll go up specially in Songkran and there are always some people who take it a little too far - and that one should always err on the side of safety - for the most part this festival is a ton of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

it would be OK if the imbeciles kept it to them self,

but the fact is they attack motorcyclists at any opportunity,

the preferred attack is to shoot dirty water directly into the eyes of the motorcyclist for the purpose of blinding him/her,

which in turn results in accidents

14 minutes ago, tropo said:

I think leaving the country for Songkran is a bit OTT. With a bit of preparation, it's easy to get through it in a relaxed manner. I manage fine in Pattaya so it should be a piece of cake in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, where the watersports are minor and far shorter by comparison. 

Another thing to consider is the post-Songkran feeling of sheer bliss that you'll miss out on if you miss Songkran. The day after, in Pattaya, is one of the best days of the year.:smile:

good life

How 'bout we just stay in, darlin'?

Yeah, on April 20th, break out the champagne. Emerge victorious: by planning ahead, you mastered your fate, deprived the hooligans and peanut gallery of ANY sadistic fun at your expense, foiled utterly their evil little plan for your destruction—this, while enjoying and accomplishing things at home. You ARE a hero.

How nice not to have to catch a plane back and hassle with transportation from the airport. The cleanup's begun; you can travel freely; all the delights of Pattaya are moving back into position and awaiting your return, you hansum man. Massage? Buffet at the Hilton? Brews with views? It's a beautiful day to dive headfirst back into the cesspool.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, neupaneaj said:

Fun part of the festival is about going out on the street with water guns and having an all out water fight with strangers - I mean how bad can it be - getting splashed with water on hot and humid day that is - grow and live a live a little people!!!  

I can understand little children enjoying that, and very drunk people, but not mature, sober adults, which begs the question: Who has the problem? The people who enjoy it or the people who don't? It's absurd to suggest that expats aren't living (enjoying life) just because they don't enjoy squirting strangers in the face with water guns. You're talking to a lot of expats here. People who have traveled the globe to experience other life and culture. They are the last people who should be told to "grow and live a little", as they have already made a huge effort to improve their lives. Sorry if squirting strangers in the face with high pressure water guns doesn't excite them to the same extent it excites you. Go and have your fun and leave the rest of us out of it. 

Even if Songkran was only one day of my life, I still wouldn't enjoy a water fight with strangers. That's the sort of thing I used to enjoy as a child.

However, there's a sinister attitude behind the water fights in many areas. For example, they will use dirty water and/or ice, to ensure the recipient suffers a little or better yet, a lot. It brings out all the sadists who can go about their handy work with few repercussions, unless they choose the wrong target. In the midst of these amazing water fights you enjoy there's also a fair number of lowlife who go around groping and otherwise harassing females. My wife learned that the hard way and now stays indoors.

• Like 2