Phuket Prison ‘all white’ as search fails to find drugs

webfact

Phuket Prison ‘all white’ as search fails to find drugs

The Phuket News

1522383295_1-org.jpg

No drugs were found in the search at Phuket Prison yesterday evening (Mar 29). Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: Phuket Provincial Prison has once again been declared a “white” prison after a search yesterday evening (Mar 29) failed to uncover any drugs.

More than 150 police officer, along with officers from the Phuket Health Department, searched the prison, located the northern reaches of Phuket Town, starting from 5:30pm, with Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong present to observe proceedings.

In addition to the search, 250 prisoners were randomly selected for a urine drugs test as more than 89% of inmates are serving sentences on drug-related offences.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-prison-all-white-as-search-fails-to-find-drugs-66573.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-03-30

19 minutes ago, webfact said:

In addition to the search, 250 prisoners were randomly selected for a urine drugs test as more than 89% of inmates are serving sentences on drug-related offences.

The other 11% are on remand awaiting possibly(not) being jailed for reckless/drunk/drug driving causing death

Interesting comments above- not one that I recognise as being from a Phuket poster.

If one lived here and was actually au fait with the prison one would be aware that the Prison Gov has a good reputation for running the place and can rightly be proud of his 'white' status. He is seen as progressive and manages to keep the lid on what is a vastly overcrowded facility- he well deserves any praise that is forthcoming.

Far easier to knock the report though I guess. 

OK other authorities used it as a PR opportunity but that happens everywhere.

No drugs were found in the search at Phuket Prison yesterday evening because they were informed of the raid to gain such a great reputation. Many Thai citizens and foreigners are on the white waiting list. (Mar 29). Photo: PR Dept

13 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Interesting comments above- not one that I recognise as being from a Phuket poster.

If one lived here and was actually au fait with the prison one would be aware that the Prison Gov has a good reputation for running the place and can rightly be proud of his 'white' status. He is seen as progressive and manages to keep the lid on what is a vastly overcrowded facility- he well deserves any praise that is forthcoming.

Far easier to knock the report though I guess. 

OK other authorities used it as a PR opportunity but that happens everywhere.

I think you can forgive the posters, regardless of where they live. Being suspicious of claims made by Thai officials is understandable given their history of ludicrous comments generally made to protect their unusual wealth or the wealth of those above them. 

I lived in Phuket for 1 1/2 years and thankfully did not experience the prison system.