Thai GF with French baby coming to Europe. Does the baby need a Thai Passport for return in TH?

Hi Thaivisa members.

On the third attempt, my Thai GF eventually got the 90 days Schengen C visa!

Hopefully, she will be coming to France very soon.

We have a baby together, the baby was registered with the Thai and French authorities and has a French passport.

My question is : Does the baby need a Thai passport for re-entering The Kingdom in 3 months'time?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Edited by nelson bunker
more words

Thanks for taking time to reply.

The child was born in Thailand and has never left.

The French passport is valid, i don't understand why the child would need a Thai passport to leave TH...

He will need the French passport to enter France.

Thank you for the explanation.

I am not familiar with multi nationality/passport businesses.

Are the customs in BKK airport going to stamp both the Thai and French passport??

Aren't the French customs going to refuse entry without a previous departure stamp??

1 hour ago, nelson bunker said:

I am not familiar with multi nationality/passport businesses.

Are the customs in BKK airport going to stamp both the Thai and French passport??

If the child has Thai and French passports it should ideally use the Thai passport to exit and enter Thailand (present only the Thai passport to Thai immigration) and use the French passport to enter and exit France (present only the French passport to French immigration)

Customs in Bangkok airport will not stamp any passport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nelson bunker said:

Aren't the French customs going to refuse entry without a previous departure stamp??

No, nor will French immigration.

If  for some reason you want the child to use its French passport to exit and re-enter Thailand, bring the child's Thai birth certificate along to show to Thai immigration on departure if necessary to explain the absence of a Thai entry stamp in this passport.

• Like 1

Getting the visa for the GF has been a long struggle, as i said it took 3 attempts...

I just want Mum and baby to be able to travel back and forth without more administrative hassle.

Maesto, what you say about the Thai birth certificate is interesting.

But again, i want them to be able to travel without problems, if a Thai passport is needed we will make a Thai passport...

I would like to know if someone can confirm that a Thai passport is needed.

When I took my daughter to UK last year I presented both of our UK passports to the airline check in desk.

The airline asked if my daughter had a Thai passport too.

The reason given was that as I have given above.

If you want hassle free no problem travel for your girlfriend and baby the get your baby a Thai passport.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1

if the Child reenters Thailand on a foreign passport the child will be subject to foreign immigration rules and would need a lot of messing around and obtaining a long term yearly extension, get the Thai passport, and as posted use that to leave and enter Thailand and the french passport to enter and leave France, no departure stamps are checked.

• Like 1