Buying a "second" Hand Car - Recommandations ?

4jasmin

After Songkran, we are going to buy a second ( or third ) Hand Car around 80.000 Baht ( +/- 10.000 )

We only will buy a japanese Car with 4/5 Doors and automatic Gears...

I had some very good Experiences with Mazda 323 with the 1600 ccm Engine, built 1998 till 2003 -

a very reliable and economic Car, nothing fancy - but the Rust is a Pain in the .ss

I am asking for Suggestions and Experiences of "Users" other jap. Cars

Maybe you even want to point out with a Link to one preferred Car on kaidee.com or other Websites

Thanks and Cheers

Edited by 4jasmin

45 minutes ago, fittobethaied said:

If you were paying 200,000 + for a car then you might find a good 2nd or 3rd hand car and you could verify the service records and reconcile that against the kilometer readings to ensure that the odometer hasn't been turned back. However, for 80,000 you're going to be hard pressed to find even a 3rd hand car, and chances are there is no record of service and a good likelihood that the odometer has been turned back. You'd be looking at very high mileage, anything could break at any time and repairs could even cost more than the price of the car. It's really a crap shoot in that price range, so good luck!

You are absolutely right. To buy a second hand car for less than Bht 200,000-300,000, unless you are very lucky, or buy it from a good friend, you are really asking for big trouble. The chances are that repairs within a year would accede the price paid, probably by more than two fold.

If you have good mechanical knowledge then go for it, but if like me you are a mechanical moron then buy new. I had several 2nd hand cars in Thailand and was spending way too much time down the local repair shop getting screwed over, so about 4 years ago I bought new...Mitsu Triton ute. Wonderful, never been happier. Bought it brand spanking new from Mitsu for 440,000THB. 

• Like 1

The Nissan Sunny seems to have a motor that keeps going and going. I've seen a couple with 350,000 km on the odometer. Or a Toyota Vios, because most mechanics know how to service them.

For 80,000 baht, however, the OP is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Most cars in that price range will be completely clapped out.

You can buy a used Car everywhere in Thailand. Check the blue Book, Maintenance Papers and finally the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) in Internet.

Mazda will be a good Choice and it depends where the Car was driven, North/East/West Rust is no Problem, near Coast could be. Engines and Drivetrain are not that smooth, but they last ever, if serviced well.

Opposite to overpriced Honda and Toyota, you will find a Mazda for a reasonable Price, but not for 80k. Whis will get a Wreck at most.

Avoid Ford and Chevrolet, older Models are a Pain and not worth any Amount. 

Try http://taladrod.com/w30/iSch/SchC.aspx?fno:Hot or download Taladrod App, if you have a Android Phone. Biggest used Car Site with thousands of Cars.

Edited by ujayujay

There have been many "cheap" loans (and other "encouragement" deals) available for buying new cars over the past 8-10 or so years, and there are now so many more used cars coming on to the market that prices are at last starting to fall to what I would call reasonable prices (but European standards).  

Perhaps not for the money you're looking to spend, but it's certainly possible to find a low mileage car younger than 5-6 years old for less than around 200k (although it may well be advertised for 250-300k), from a private seller.

Be flexible, make a low-ball offer, and be patient until the seller's only alternative is to sell to a dealer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TSF said:

If you have good mechanical knowledge then go for it, but if like me you are a mechanical moron then buy new. I had several 2nd hand cars in Thailand and was spending way too much time down the local repair shop getting screwed over, so about 4 years ago I bought new...Mitsu Triton ute. Wonderful, never been happier. Bought it brand spanking new from Mitsu for 440,000THB. 

Shame your suggestion is only B360,000 over his budget!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Cranky said:

80,000 Baht will get you a pile of junk that will quite probably cost the same again to bring up to a half decent standard.  Robbery when you see that in the UK you can find a pretty decent motor for around 2 thousand quid. 

Yep, all about taxation. 80k is a starting point but it possible to find things for that and up to 120k+ which are serviceable if you are not trying to keep up with the Joneses...

High mileage is a myth these days though, as anything untouched (not modified) in most of the Jap ranges will do 300K kms if they have been looked after. Rust is not usually a problem, but if you want something smart remember the paintwork fades in the strong sun here and a respray isn't so cheap.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Yep, all about taxation. 80k is a starting point but it possible to find things for that and up to 120k+ which are serviceable if you are not trying to keep up with the Joneses...

High mileage is a myth these days though, as anything untouched (not modified) in most of the Jap ranges will do 300K kms if they have been looked after. Rust is not usually a problem, but if you want something smart remember the paintwork fades in the strong sun here and a respray isn't so cheap.

Best of luck.

I think colour fade is a bit of a myth with modern day paints regarding the sun ..

A respray in LOS is cheap compared to farangland..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, transam said:

I think colour fade is a bit of a myth with modern day paints regarding the sun ..

A respray in LOS is cheap compared to farangland..

True, but you would not pay as much for the car. 15K on an 80-90k car is a big expense.

In the west rust is the problem, depending on where you live of course.

I see many older cars here with paint damage due to the sun.

The OP only wants transport, not "face".

For 80,000 baht the only thing you are going to buy is a load of trouble. When I first came to Thailand 12 years ago I bought a used 1997 Nissan Cerfiro for 325,000 baht. It was an excellent car and lasted me 8 years until I bought my new Mazda. I sold it for 150,000 with 120,000km on it . Like many posters said 80,000 will only buy you headaches. Here's a pix of when I sold it.

IMGP0136-1.jpg

Edited by Rdrokit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

1,161 cars for sale for less than 100,000 baht, just pick one.

https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale?max_price=100000&max_year=2010

NB: Only older then 2010, to filter out the "contact sellers".

Specifying older than 2010 doesn't filter out the "contact seller" adds. When those are excluded from your search the number falls to 377 cars, and when only searching for auto transmission (a requirement from the OP) that number falls to 224. Limiting the search to cars up to 90,000 (the OP's stated max budget) decreases the number further to 159 cars.

With the further requirements from the OP of a Japanese car with 4-5 doors are added he will be left with very few options within a reasonable distance from where he lives (very likely none unless he lives close to Bangkok).

As others have said, with that budget it will require a bit of good luck to find anything reliable.

Sophon

• Like 1

November 2014 I bought a   year 2001(2544)    Toyota Soluna SLI  1.5 auto  for 80,000 baht

as a general run about car...no grand tours or anything like that.

Costs so far  for repairs are .

image.png.77f96d1093d7609825502f7b2b99f344.png

The paint is flaking off in huge lumps due to "body filler" from a not so good respray I'd image. :laugh:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sophon said:

Specifying older than 2010 doesn't filter out the "contact seller" adds. When those are excluded from your search the number falls to 377 cars, and when only searching for auto transmission (a requirement from the OP) that number falls to 224. Limiting the search to cars up to 90,000 (the OP's stated max budget) decreases the number further to 159 cars.

With the further requirements from the OP of a Japanese car with 4-5 doors are added he will be left with very few options within a reasonable distance from where he lives (very likely none unless he lives close to Bangkok).

As others have said, with that budget it will require a bit of good luck to find anything reliable.

Sophon

I wish I had your one2car search skills. How did you eliminate the contact seller adds?

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I wish I had your one2car search skills. How did you eliminate the contact seller adds?

If you sort the search results by price, the system automatically eliminates the "contact seller" adds (presumably because they don't have a price). Furthermore, if you want to search for a price that is not in the drop down menu, you can just change the price in the web address like this:
your link: https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale?max_price=100000&max_year=2010

change: https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale?max_price=80000&max_year=2010

Sophon

Edited by Sophon
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Sophon said:

If you sort the search results by price, the system automatically eliminates the "contact seller" adds (presumably because they don't have a price). Furthermore, if you want to search for a price that is not in the drop down menu, you can just change the price in the web address like this:
your link: https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale?max_price=100000&max_year=2010

change: https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale?max_price=80000&max_year=2010

Sophon

Brilliant out of the box thinking.

Have you found a way to search for a specific type of cars, like the BMW F10 or Mercedes W212?

They call them "nicknames" on one2car, but each type spread over more than one model.

On 4/3/2018 at 10:45 AM, transam said:

A respray in LOS is cheap compared to farangland.

A cheap respray in Thailand is  indeed cheap compared to farangland

but in my opinion  being cheap means it won't last very long, though it may look immaculate for a while at first...a good long lasting respray is not so cheap.

Just now, johng said:

A cheap respray in Thailand is  indeed cheap compared to farangland

but in my opinion  being cheap means it won't last very long, though it may look immaculate for a while at first...a good long lasting respray is not so cheap.

Paint is paint, as long as the correct primer and final lacquer is used it is the same job..

8 minutes ago, johng said:

Another  even cheaper one for "urgent sale" reduced to 15,000 baht from 18,000 baht

Toyota Crown ? with  3L  2 J  " black lid" engine !

wont someone take it away before the rust does ?

5ac6fe1669d52_P_20180405_164401(Large).jpg.ac4ff73404ed9284e08ddb053ef91124.jpg5ac6fe2e1e242_P_20180405_164307(Large).jpg.f32c7f0e812d108ad2d2c6d8d0d39377.jpg5ac6fe0c40a0a_P_20180405_164348(Large).jpg.b92a9b70ca0bd15894218ae3162c54c4.jpg5ac6fe1fee759_P_20180405_164427(Large).jpg.f41b2c435dba9c96d2ffe519f252c35b.jpg

MOT nooooo ploblem.....:stoner: