Dog health

Hello,

would like to treat a couple dogs living on property, during our one month visit.

Mange, parasites, infection - best result for investment. Have seen threads in the past, but not adept with the search function

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

No replies? Would like to help a couple dogs with common Thai dog issues.

Have seen threads in the past, but do not know how to find.... a little help would be appreciated.

Question: What can be used to calm skin with secondary infections from mange?

Have found ivermectin, told 1 tablet per week.

Washed with 1% permethrin shampoo.

Thanks

Bravecto not only treats fleas and ticks, but as a positive side effect also treats mange. Vets in my city don't bother with spot ons and ivermectine anymore, just give Bravecto. Every dog is different though, some clear up with a simple spot on treatment, some with ivermectine and some with neither, so seems dogs are on a winner with the Bravecto. 

My pup had a dose of puppy mange when younger. Both advantage and ivermectine did absolutely nothing and I wasn't happy with the dosages so I researched other options. Bravecto came up, wasn't in my city yet so got my dad to send some over. Dog was clear within a month (skin samples  under microscope) to the vets amazement. 
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4394402/

The rest would need a vet to run tests. 

Washing...one dog hasn't had a wash for 18 months, the other is 10 months and never has had one. Vet will give a shampoo until the mange is under control, but I am not a fan of washing. A fish in the diet is all the shampoo the dog needs as the fatty acids heal sore, flaky, itchy skin.

Edited by wildewillie89

Be careful with border collies never give invermectin to border collies, or any herding dogs. They are most likely to have a bad reaction to this drug. Bravecto seems to be safe and works well, much better than spot treatments in my experience 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...