Is Opera VPN any good?

elgenon

On 4/13/2018 at 6:09 AM, elgenon said:

Is it any good?

It works all right from Thailand, you can for example chose Europe or USA as VPN, and visit places you not have access to form here. It's free, easy to download and install – and uninstall, if not happy – so worth trying it before investing in a real VPN...:smile:

It depends upon what the reason is that you're using a VPN.  The downside that I found with Opera VPN is that while it will give you an IP address in another country and that usually will be good enough to spoof your location, I found that it has DNS leaks under some circumstances.  That could be enough to allow websites that you visit to deduce that you are are not in the same country as your IP address.

Edited by suzannegoh

3 hours ago, Belzybob said:

There is the free Hoxx VPN for Firefox, seems to work Ok and doesn't 'leak' like some. Has a good range of locations including the UK. But don't expect any free VPN to be a rocket.

How do you get it?

11 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

It depends upon what the reason is that you're using a VPN.  The downside that I found with Opera VPN is that while it will give you an IP address in another country and that usually will be good enough to spoof your location, I found that it has DNS leaks under some circumstances.  That could be enough to allow websites that you visit to deduce that you are are not in the same country as your IP address.

What is DNS?

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

What is DNS?

It stands for Domain Name Service, it’s the mechanism by which a human readable URL is translated into a numerical IP address.  Google searches will turn up lots of info about the basics of it. 

In the context of a VPN, the issue is that you want DNS queries to be going through the VPN tunnel because unencrypted DNS queries sent by your system outside of the tunnel can provide websites that you visit a clue that you are not where you say that you are. 

Edited by suzannegoh

20 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

It stands for Domain Name Service, it’s the mechanism by which a human readable URL is translated into a numerical IP address.  Google searches will turn up lots of info about the basics of it. 

In the context of a VPN, the issue is that you want DNS queries to be going through the VPN tunnel because unencrypted DNS queries sent by your system outside of the tunnel can provide websites that you visit a clue that you are not where you say that you are. 

you are better than Google. Thanks

If Opera is almost good 'nuff then just get a lifetime subscription to a decent VPN via a neowin.net deal. Some of our experts will sneer at doing so while they paying about the same amount year after year. :smile:

https://deals.neowin.net/sales/vpn-unlimited-lifetime-subscription

https://deals.neowin.net/sales/windscribe-vpn

Using a vpn for watching UK or US tv isn't foolproof especially if you are using a popular one. For example a site like BBC Iplayer might see a few hundred connections from the same IP address so realises it's a proxy server and blocks that address. Good vpn's have multiple servers but over time all those IP's get found out so they then change to new IP addresses so it's not a seamless experience , it's a game of cat & mouse. I used to pay for Identity Cloaker for a number of years and it worked pretty good in China, Egypt, Iran, Venezuela and a few other restrictive countries. I find epic browser's vpn is good enough to occasionally watch UK tv news and a few other programmes but sometimes the vpn stops working until they change the IP address. As for those free vpn's you see advertised stay well away as some of them are trying to steal your ID, others are so slow to use trying to make you pay for the deluxe version and most of them don't keep you invisible. Caveat emptor.

4 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

Using a vpn for watching UK or US tv isn't foolproof especially if you are using a popular one. For example a site like BBC Iplayer might see a few hundred connections from the same IP address so realises it's a proxy server and blocks that address. Good vpn's have multiple servers but over time all those IP's get found out so they then change to new IP addresses so it's not a seamless experience , it's a game of cat & mouse. I used to pay for Identity Cloaker for a number of years and it worked pretty good in China, Egypt, Iran, Venezuela and a few other restrictive countries. I find epic browser's vpn is good enough to occasionally watch UK tv news and a few other programmes but sometimes the vpn stops working until they change the IP address. As for those free vpn's you see advertised stay well away as some of them are trying to steal your ID, others are so slow to use trying to make you pay for the deluxe version and most of them don't keep you invisible. Caveat emptor.

I'd be more inclined to watch pirate feeds of those TV channels than to to try to un-geolock legal feeds with a VPN.  The former generally needs no VPN.

13 hours ago, JSixpack said:

get a lifetime subscription to a decent VPN via a neowin.net

Do you know if they keep logs or any records of traffic?  Also do you know where they are out of?  They give an address in Bronx, NY.  

I get a lot of ads for lifetime VPN subscriptions, and with a little sleuthing it seems all of them are out of China or Hong Kong.  Bear in mind it's not necessarily the subscriber's lifetime, but also that of the company.

I've been using PIA for a few years, as for service I give them an A- .  They claim to not keep logs.  Also, they can be paid via gift card if you care to keep things somewhat anonymous; there is a premium for this though, the US$40 annual would require a $50 gift card - up to you if it is worth that.

My subscription is up in a few weeks, time to do some research...

8 hours ago, bendejo said:

Do you know if they keep logs or any records of traffic?  Also do you know where they are out of?  They give an address in Bronx, NY.  

I get a lot of ads for lifetime VPN subscriptions, and with a little sleuthing it seems all of them are out of China or Hong Kong.  Bear in mind it's not necessarily the subscriber's lifetime, but also that of the company.

I've been using PIA for a few years, as for service I give them an A- .  They claim to not keep logs.  Also, they can be paid via gift card if you care to keep things somewhat anonymous; there is a premium for this though, the US$40 annual would require a $50 gift card - up to you if it is worth that.

My subscription is up in a few weeks, time to do some research...

I left that as an exercise for the reader. :smile: I think you'll find that most claim not to keep logs. But then again they might well log your IP address and keep that record for some time--while also claiming not to turn over that info except under court order. Recent VPN user was caught by checking his VPN access times against access times by the VPN IP address to a target site. That's a serious criminal investigation using court orders. Me, I wouldn't merit investigating and have nothing seriously to fear anyway.

Hence if Opera is about good 'nuff, then a member of the B team among VPNs is a lot better and comes cheaply through a deal. Yep, the company could fail before you do. You'd at least want to choose the one that appears less likely to go under anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...