Drunk driving ‘a major cause’ of road accidents

webfact

Take the keys take the car fine them 

Not like I read car taken for a week 

Need to start policing get out on the roads pull drivers over 

Random test fail keys car taken jail fine fine fine has to get through to people 

3 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

an earlier poster said it and its true everywhere, until the penalties are so severe and enforced that only the incredibly dumb will drive under the influence then nothing will change and it's exactly the same in your home countries, only very severe penalties deter drunk driving to the point that only the really dumb people do it... and even then they have to be in place for a while to have a positive effect, its people everywhere, they are lazy, its just that in western countries now the drunk drivers have to balance the risk of driving against what will happen to them when they are caught.

It's not just the penalties that has reduced DUI in the west, it is a change in social attitudes. 40-50 years ago drink driving was seen as a necessary evil and had macho overtones (ooh look how clever I am - I can drive home after 12 pints, how clever am I?) . After intensive campaigns, it is now not acceptable socially and drunk drivers are regarded as idiots. It took maybe 10-15 years to work fully but it does tend to keep working. The UK figure for DUI convictions for the whole of 2015 was 42,587

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shady86 said:

Cars with autonomous driving will solve the problem if the people embrace them. Not sure if the roads here are up to standard though. emoji41.png

Those cars won't come to thailand...they would need extra sensors for falling coconuts, jaywalking soidogs, racing somchais, and so on....

Now there are autonomous drones for passengertransport though, that might be better for Thailand.

"A Clayton's Police Force that Can't (Won' t)  do their Job for what they get Payed to do."

Goodonya Digger! Its been ages since I have heard the term "Claytons". (The drink you have when you are not having a drink):drunk:

Many photos of wrecked vehicles but most (they estimate 79%) accidents and deaths are motorcycle involved.  Possibly more, and closer up, photos of motorcycle accidents should be in the papers - possibly some of the gore will make the drivers think a bit more!  Not too hopeful, but maybe a life or two will be saved.

Ive been driving here over 20 years and nothing will change.

I drink with my Thai neighbours who are all educated, ones a bank manager one is a civil engineer and the other the general manager of a 5 Starr hotel, and all of them drink drive and think nothing of it, they have no fear of the cops and they well understand they can be fined if caught, but they know the chance is pretty slim, so basically they dont give a shit, ive been in a car with one of them and never again, but thats just the mindset here. 

What I don't understand is how some of them get access to the bikes.

Yesterday on Soi Neplewan there were school kids with 3 on a bike riding up and down and drunk.

'dad I'm off to get pissed, I'm taking the bike'

' ok, be careful'.

21 hours ago, DieterWiehe said:

that is nothing new. give them a good salary if you pay Peanuts you get Monkeys doing the work

Thanks for your post. I agree with you with the exception of BIB's pay. I believe they make a salary commensurate of their education/efforts etc. As is typical entry level positions are rarely extraordinary, both here and elsewhere. Do you know or does anyone know the real salary amounts for Thai police? I am lead to believe they start out at or near the rate of a Thai teacher. 

Thanks again for your post.

Thai cops.jpg

14 hours ago, snooky said:

Many photos of wrecked vehicles but most (they estimate 79%) accidents and deaths are motorcycle involved.  Possibly more, and closer up, photos of motorcycle accidents should be in the papers - possibly some of the gore will make the drivers think a bit more!  Not too hopeful, but maybe a life or two will be saved.

When so many believe in "reincarnation", is death a problem? :whistling: