Khun,, When Do I Use It ?

fireman

whats the literal translation of <khun>,,, when to use ,,,to address man , woman or both?

thanks

It's like Sir or miss,they say "khun" when you talk to somebody in a respecful way,unless they are close friends, then they do not use it.Also when you use this term they will look you back like you are a descent person,and that is a good thing in Thailand.

Gon rep roy

Khun is a polite form that can be used to address any one... man or woman....you can use it for those older and younger than you. its a good word in the thai vocab, as its both age and gender neutral one to address someone politely. its a bit formal...so tends to be used when you are not all that familiar with someone yet. (but can still continue to use even when you already become familiar...no rules against it ) :o

When I 1st startd meeting some Thai friends of my wife, I always used Khun....now that we are friends I use Pee in place of Khun.....

Except when I refer to my wife (sometimes) which I use Tawn...which always cracks them up.

Edited by old wanderer

When I 1st startd meeting some Thai friends of my wife, I always used Khun....now that we are friends I use Pee in place of Khun.....

Except when I refer to my wife (sometimes) which I use Tawn...which always cracks them up.

Oh...I only use Pee if I know they are older or if they are socially higher than I am (like even my supermarket owner). Else I use Nong. What does Tawn mean?

Oh...I only use Pee if I know they are older or if they are socially higher than I am (like even my supermarket owner). Else I use Nong. What does Tawn mean?

If someone is perceived to be of higher social class then you should be using khun and not phii as the us of phii implies the familiarity of equals. Using nong to someone who is your age or older is what a**hole Bangkok people do to show contempt to others, and it is an insult.

To go back to the orginal poster, if one needs to ask when to use the pronoun khun then the short answer is always until you understand Thai culture and language a little better.

As for thaan it is a far more formal choice of second person pronoun (you) used when speaking to a person of significantly higher status, if you believe in such things, high ranking government officials, and also used to address a monk as in thaan achaan.

As for thaan it is a far more formal choice of second person pronoun (you) used when speaking to a person of significantly higher status, if you believe in such things, high ranking government officials, and also used to address a monk as in thaan achaan.

I mispoke above. One uses thaan achaan in a university setting talking to high ranking professors and phra achaan when speaking to a monk, in which situation one refers to oneself as yoom (+ your name) as opposed to phom.

As for thaan it is a far more formal choice of second person pronoun (you) used when speaking to a person of significantly higher status, if you believe in such things, high ranking government officials, and also used to address a monk as in thaan achaan

Pardon my poor Thai spelling....Yes I do refer to my wife in her village or when among friends as "Thaan Puk"....which I understands means someone of MUCH higer status then yourself. So my jest would be like refering to her a Princess Puk....which I accompany with a high Wai...

She hates it....but when we visit her village she is like visiting royalty. People come from far away to listen to her stories of life and travel. When I met her she was a work-a-holic that had only completed 4 years of school, left home at 15 to work as a maid for some Chineese people in BKK. When she was 21 she returned and borrowed 100,000 baht (at 10%/mo interest) from a "rich" uncle and went back to BKK and bought sewing machines and rented a large building and opened a sewing factory...She repaid the loan in 8 months.

She is a smart woman, who through the cards that fate delt her was never able to rise to her level of achivement in life. Now she quibbles about how the color of gold on a necklace does not match the gold color on the earrings.

Hence.....Thaan Puk.

My quan taah

Edited by old wanderer

If someone is perceived to be of higher social class then you should be using khun and not phii as the us of phii implies the familiarity of equals. Using nong to someone who is your age or older is what a**hole Bangkok people do to show contempt to others, and it is an insult.

To go back to the orginal poster, if one needs to ask when to use the pronoun khun then the short answer is always until you understand Thai culture and language a little better.

Phee พี่ Is used to address a person who is older than you are but from the same generation, and also to refer to yourself when talking to someone older.

Nawng น้อง Is used to address a person who is younger than you are but from the same generation, or 'I' for a younger person when talking to someone older.

Koon คุณ is the general way to say 'you' and sounds polite.

Than ท่าน Is respectful

Theuh/rao/noo เธอ/เรา/หนู Can all be used for addressing children.

Gae แก Can be used for addressing close friends but could sound rude with people other than friends.

theuh/tua เธอ/ตัว is sometimes used as 'you' by close female friends and nai นาย by close male friends.

theuh เธอ Is also used between couples when addressing eachother.

Hope this helps.

I think there are some regional differences, but Khun is always right. They adress one Soi Dog who has just 3 legs as Khun sam (3) kaa(legs) because it is a very friendly dog. Nong is the smaller sister brother (restaurant brother bring me a beer, so Nong) Pii is an older sister/brother.

In both cases age means more social status not real age. The rich 20 year old lady would call the drunk 50 year old labour nong. (but if not drunk and a nice hard working guy maybe pii, because that much older). As Farang I avoid both, beside nong in restaurants.

I don't like class systems and don't want to express it.

Phee พี่ Is used to address a person who is older than you are but from the same generation, and also to refer to yourself when talking to someone older.

Nawng น้อง Is used to address a person who is younger than you are but from the same generation, or 'I' for a younger person when talking to someone older.

Koon คุณ is the general way to say 'you' and sounds polite.

Than ท่าน Is respectful

Theuh/rao/noo เธอ/เรา/หนู Can all be used for addressing children.

Gae แก Can be used for addressing close friends but could sound rude with people other than friends.

theuh/tua เธอ/ตัว is sometimes used as 'you' by close female friends and nai นาย by close male friends.

theuh เธอ Is also used between couples when addressing eachother.

Hope this helps.

You forgot two essential ones: Guu and Ai... :o

I think there are some regional differences, but Khun is always right. They adress one Soi Dog who has just 3 legs as Khun sam (3) kaa(legs) because it is a very friendly dog. Nong is the smaller sister brother (restaurant brother bring me a beer, so Nong) Pii is an older sister/brother.

In both cases age means more social status not real age. The rich 20 year old lady would call the drunk 50 year old labour nong. (but if not drunk and a nice hard working guy maybe pii, because that much older). As Farang I avoid both, beside nong in restaurants.

I don't like class systems and don't want to express it.

It has nothing to do with class system and if you are using คุณ to attract the attention of a restaurant worker rather than using พี่ or น้อง you are running the risk of sounding crude.

goo is a crude way to say 'I' and meung is a crude term for 'you', used together with goo.

ai 'you', derogatory when talking to a man.

ee 'you', derogatory for women.

Even though ai and ee sound very derogatory for 'you' they may still be used before names among close friends or by older people to younger people without sounding rude (although still not polite)