Thai Air Force officer arrested in US freed as diplomatic immunity kicks in

webfact

19 hours ago, johng said:

Its not illegal everywhere in US of America,  in some states its legal others turn a blind eye or don't engage entrapment techniques.

and in some states its legal to take drugs too  Tobacco, Alcohol and Marijuana !

You ever live in the US?   Prostitution is  illegal in "every " state in the US except a few rural counties in Nevada. It used to be legal in parts of Texas but no more.  Alcohol and tobacco are legal in every state but alcohol  may be banned in some towns. (Local ordinance ) Marijuana laws differ from state to state, some alow for medical reasons  others for recreational use and some banned.

The story said he was a Thai Air Force Group Captain.  That rank is equal and on the same level as a U.S. Air Force Colonel.  Being that he was in NYC, he could have been attached to the Thai UN staff there or to the Thai consulate as a military liaison.   Thus making him eligible to come under diplomatic immunity.  

Being that he was initially arrested on a misdemeanor charge, it is not enough for the U.S. government to demand his expulsion from America.  However, the Thai government could do it on their own if they decided his action caused the Thai government to loose face.

Just now, Tony125 said:

You ever live in the US?   Prostitution is  illegal in "every " state in the US except a few rural counties in Nevada. It used to be legal in parts of Texas but no more.  Alcohol and tobacco are legal in every state but alcohol  may be banned in some towns. (Local ordinance ) Marijuana laws differ from state to state, some alow for medical reasons  others for recreational use and some banned.

As it is also illegal to "solisit or use a prostitute"  in most states.

11 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

you can't trust the people sellling you illegal stuff

The police aren't selling anything

The NYPD has been posting fake ads for hookers and arresting men who show up for dates.

The hookers are trying to make some money and the "Johns"  want to use a service..this is an agreement between 2 consenting adults..why is it a crime  ?  and why are police wasting their time and money on it instead of chasing after muggers,burglars,rapists,murderers etc etc

5 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

Ironic that your name is John

Yes I'm either the toilet or a procurer of  "disgusting illegal prostitutes"   in Americanese  :w00t:   :laugh:

20 hours ago, johng said:

Disgusting entrapment...they should be using their time solving real crime.

No.  Prostitutes have been subject to beatings and robbery and there is a spate of them ongoing in NYC at this time. There is pressure on the police to  do something.A quick look at the NY Post and  NY Daily News crime sections will enlighten you on the current issues with  sex trafficking and  violence against  sex workers in NYC, I am quite certain that the legal basis was vetted to ensure that there was no entrapment, because the liberal municipal court of Manhatten would toss the case like a bad fish if there so much  as a hint of entrapment.

19 hours ago, Tilacme said:

Since when is an air force pilot an official diplomat?

When   declared as such and put on a list that is accepted by the host country. He may have been the military attache  to the embassy in  Washington DC or more likely attached in some capacity to the United Nations.

13 hours ago, JAG said:

Air Attache or assistant attache at the embassy?

About the right rank...

Or Thai mission at UN.

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

diplomatic immunity is a real thing, but it has limited applicability.  Just ask many of the US servicemen that have been charged and held for crimes overseas. Now this Thai officer may have been attached to the Thai embassy staff, at least for now!

Rubbish.  See below.

3 hours ago, PhonThong said:

That falls under the "Status of Forces Agreement". Not diplomatic immunity. 

Status of forces agreements (SOFAs)  allow U.S. troops to escape local prosecution by host nations for the crimes they commit. SOFAs govern the presence of U.S. troops at foreign bases. This is why there are local riots and protests when US personnel commit some awful crimes. The locals are upset that the US  military personnel are not subject to local law and instead often get pulled out and sent back to the USA.  

In this specific case, we have a man alleged to have solicited a prostitute. He was given multiple chances to back out. Quite different than the usual violent rape cases one sees with  US marines in Okinawa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, johng said:

The police aren't selling anything

The hookers are trying to make some money and the "Johns"  want to use a service..this is an agreement between 2 consenting adults..why is it a crime  ?  and why are police wasting their time and money on it instead of chasing after muggers,burglars,rapists,murderers etc etc

Yes I'm either the toilet or a procurer of  "disgusting illegal prostitutes"   in Americanese  :w00t:   :laugh:

Not exactly sure what your point is? The law says it's illegal. The police are expected to uphold the law and arrest law breakers. 

If your problem is with the law as it stands, perhaps you need to complain to the New York Legislative bodies.You know, the likes of Mike Bloomberg and his Democrat cronies running that $h!thole. 

Edited by Time Traveller

6 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Not exactly sure what your point is?

Priorities  and "underhand tactics"

10 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

If your problem is with the law as it stands, perhaps you need to complain to the New York Legislative bodies

Yes the laws an ass IMHO  but I don't live there ( and no plans to holiday)

so no point me complaining to them.

So now we have a RTAF Pilot Officer, An RT Army Major and a RTAF Gp Captain, all doing things they should not. What is the Officer Corps of the Thai Armed forces coming to.  Oh I know Thainess...............

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

No.  Prostitutes have been subject to beatings and robbery and there is a spate of them ongoing in NYC at this time. There is pressure on the police to  do something.A quick look at the NY Post and  NY Daily News crime sections will enlighten you on the current issues with  sex trafficking and  violence against  sex workers in NYC, I am quite certain that the legal basis was vetted to ensure that there was no entrapment, because the liberal municipal court of Manhatten would toss the case like a bad fish if there so much  as a hint of entrapment.

When   declared as such and put on a list that is accepted by the host country. He may have been the military attache  to the embassy in  Washington DC or more likely attached in some capacity to the United Nations.

Or Thai mission at UN.

Rubbish.  See below.

Status of forces agreements (SOFAs)  allow U.S. troops to escape local prosecution by host nations for the crimes they commit. SOFAs govern the presence of U.S. troops at foreign bases. This is why there are local riots and protests when US personnel commit some awful crimes. The locals are upset that the US  military personnel are not subject to local law and instead often get pulled out and sent back to the USA.  

In this specific case, we have a man alleged to have solicited a prostitute. He was given multiple chances to back out. Quite different than the usual violent rape cases one sees with  US marines in Okinawa.

So why are you calling what I posted rubbish?  Learn to read with comprehension.  I said diplomatic immunity is very rare. 

22 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

Diplomatic immunity is bullshit. The p..k should be charged and deported as Persona non Grata.

Don't agree.And frankly I'm not sure that the alleged offense (willing buyer, willing seller I assume) is particularly serious although I appreciate of course that paying for sex is something completely unknown to the monastic Thailand expatriate community.

What I don't understand is the technical point of why a visiting air force officer should enjoy diplomatic immunity.

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

What I don't understand is the technical point of why a visiting air force officer should enjoy diplomatic immunity.

Could a bribe have been offered and accepted?  DI explanation used to settle the matter, perhaps. I myself don't think that's what happened but just for conversation's sake. 

Peace be with you. 

8 hours ago, pearciderman said:

Where in the OP does it say he is a pilot ?

As for being a diplomat - "A defence attaché (DA) is a member of the armed forces who serves in an embassy as a representative of his/her country's defence establishment abroad and in this capacity enjoys diplomatic status and immunity. ... The DA is usually responsible for all aspects of bilateral military and defence relations."

Read the story in the BP it is much clearer than the one presented here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steelepulse said:

I'm not buying the "misunderstanding".  Guy wanted to get some strange and got caught.

Obviously but at the heart if Thainess is saving face at all costs regardless of the truth 

On 4/17/2018 at 6:46 PM, stephen tracy said:

It's illegal in New York and that's where it happened.

So it must be enforced? Oral sex between married couples was illegal in some states until recently. 1,000,000,000 sex acts daily around the world. $100 spent on a date or a pickup before sex (or a handshake goodnight) is somehow more pure than $100 spent when it comes with a guarantee. Consensual is consensual is consensual is consensual.

Just now, Mac98 said:

So it must be enforced? Oral sex between married couples was illegal in some states until recently. 1,000,000,000 sex acts daily around the world. $100 spent on a date or a pickup before sex (or a handshake goodnight) is somehow more pure than $100 spent when it comes with a guarantee. Consensual is consensual is consensual is consensual.

I don't care if it's enforced or not, it's just the way it is there. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. There are plenty of laws I think make no sense. I agree with you that consensual is consensual. I didn't know about oral sex being illegal in the US. coincidentally, I was reading something a few days ago that was saying bestiality is legal in a number if places in the US. So in those places I guess it's legal to shag a goat but you can't blow it. So no foreplay!

15 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

I don't care if it's enforced or not, it's just the way it is there. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. There are plenty of laws I think make no sense. I agree with you that consensual is consensual. I didn't know about oral sex being illegal in the US. coincidentally, I was reading something a few days ago that was saying bestiality is legal in a number if places in the US. So in those places I guess it's legal to shag a goat but you can't blow it. So no foreplay!

Supreme Court struck down the last of the anti-sodomy laws in 14 states in 2003. So now gay bathhouses can flourish with some cities providing free condoms and health pamphletes, while a hetro bar gets raided because an undercover cop  saw a boob when a waitress bent over (Corona, CA). It took a three-agency operation of 30 days to spot three examples of such bawdy behavior while stationed where the barmaids washed glasses. So imagine how berserk they go if sex for money was suspected.

26 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

And here goes another Thai who will now hate farangs !!!

Prostitution is also banned in Iran and Saurkesdi Arabia by the way  !!!!!

I thought in Iran you can get married for an hour or as long as it takes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Old Bull said:

I thought in Iran you can get married for an hour or as long as it takes.

It's how the forcibly transgendered gays make a living; lots of stuff on YouTube about it. In Iran you can be a traditional male or a traditional female, full stop; interesting way to interpret Deuteronomy 22.5.