Thai Air Force officer arrested in US freed as diplomatic immunity kicks in

webfact

17 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

They have it right then.

A bit hard on the gays, don't you think? Like, if a man or woman of the same sex is the only thing that turns you on. Sex is a pretty powerful. I've had enough problems with it being relatively straight.

1 minute ago, nausea said:

A bit hard on the gays, don't you think? Like, if a man or woman of the same sex is the only thing that turns you on. Sex is a pretty powerful. I've had enough problems with it being relatively straight.

Maybe allow a little queerism but not all this gender fluidity rubbish. It's ridiculous!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, manarak said:

aren't the officers guilty of fraud?

No,  providing the opportunity for someone to break the law is legal, any coercion or inducement to break the law is not legal

Just like lying to a suspect under investigation during an interrogation  is perfectly legal,  police have no duty to inform a suspect of whether or not they are telling the truth 

For those who have questions of how the system works in the US, once a person declares that he is covered under diplomatic immunity the police have a direct telephone number to the State Department Diplomatic Security's 24 hour command center in DC.  DSCC has the complete list of foreign diplomats that are accredited  with the US Government.  This list also shows the type of Diplomatic Immunity the individual has

Some Diplomats have Full Diplomatic Immunity throughout the whole country, some are limited to the geographical area they are assigned to.  Some have  only Transactional Immunity,  which only covers them in the performance of their official duties.  In any event,  the type of immunity is based upon the diplomatic term Quid pro quo, which means that if there are X numbers of Thai Diplomats in the US that have a certain type of immunity the exact same US Diplomats will have it in Thailand  

Unfortunately there is a numerical imbalance because The Thai Consulate in New York is the "embassy"  for the United Nations and comes under a separate quota from the Thai Embassy in Washington.  Just as an aside,  even the US has a "mission" to the United  Nations and State Department considers it as a "foreign" tour of duty for personnel assigned there 

So to the posters that don't think anyone should be given Diplomatic Immunity I doubt if you would want your countries diplomats to be stopped and forced to take a piss test on the streets of Bangkok  

12 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

No,  providing the opportunity for someone to break the law is legal, any coercion or inducement to break the law is not legal

Just like lying to a suspect under investigation during an interrogation  is perfectly legal,  police have no duty to inform a suspect of whether or not they are telling the truth 

For those who have questions of how the system works in the US, once a person declares that he is covered under diplomatic immunity the police have a direct telephone number to the State Department Diplomatic Security's 24 hour command center in DC.  DSCC has the complete list of foreign diplomats that are accredited  with the US Government.  This list also shows the type of Diplomatic Immunity the individual has

Some Diplomats have Full Diplomatic Immunity throughout the whole country, some are limited to the geographical area they are assigned to.  Some have  only Transactional Immunity,  which only covers them in the performance of their official duties.  In any event,  the type of immunity is based upon the diplomatic term Quid pro quo, which means that if there are X numbers of Thai Diplomats in the US that have a certain type of immunity the exact same US Diplomats will have it in Thailand  

Unfortunately there is a numerical imbalance because The Thai Consulate in New York is the "embassy"  for the United Nations and comes under a separate quota from the Thai Embassy in Washington.  Just as an aside,  even the US has a "mission" to the United  Nations and State Department considers it as a "foreign" tour of duty for personnel assigned there 

So to the posters that don't think anyone should be given Diplomatic Immunity I doubt if you would want your countries diplomats to be stopped and forced to take a piss test on the streets of Bangkok  

well, I think any foreigner should be protected from these abject laws.

13 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

I couldn't give a damn about diplomats from the UK. The Thai can piss test them on the streets of Bangkok all they like, and if they are found to be guilty of anything they are free to stick them in the stocks and I would gladly throw rotten durian at them.

The site quoted police as saying that the officer is a brigadier general in the Thai Royal Air Force. No such rank exists, but a man with a similar name is a group captain in the branch.

Not that it makes any difference to the case, but, yes, the RTAF has a Special Group Captain rank that is the equivalent of a brigadier general (but below the one star air commodore rank). I don't know if there is any insignia difference between a group captain and a special group captain..... Or any difference in pay. Maybe like the current US Navy situation, where a commodore is just a title in special situations, but the holder is just a navy captain for insignia and pay purposes.

http://www.302aw.afrc.af.mil/News/Photos/igphoto/2000401045/

(photo indicates special group captain may be uniquely identified by some sort of insignia on right epaulet.)

Edited by JimGant

It always amazes me how puritanical the Yanks are about sex but are happy to travel and engage in it. I believe masturbation may even be illegal in some places. It’s hard to believe that until 2014, carrying condoms in New York City could land you in jail. NYC police officers considered possession of multiple rubbers as evidence of prostitution, but  reversed the policy.  https://www.menshealth.com/sex-women/g19543507/10-strange-sex-laws/

These sting operations are pure entrapment to anyone outside the US, and rather than having a go at C/S Hollywood they probably saw him as an easy touch, being Asian.  US cops are allowed to bully, coerce and basically lie to people they have arrested in order to obtain confessions, methods that would be thrown out by other Western judicial systems. Interesting that there has been no counter comment anywhere from the NYPD that could have provided balance and clarity to the incident but that would spoil a lot of Thaigeezer's fun!

He was briefly detained, this is a non-story, albeit embarrassing for the individual concerned. Interesting that there has been no counter comment anywhere from the NYPD that could have provided balance and clarity to the incident but that would spoil a lot of Thaigeezer's fun! If he was quickly released it lends substance to his version of events- contacting the Embassy, State Dept, etc to establish his bona fides would have taken considerable time.

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 3:14 PM, JOC said:

A pride for the Thai diplomatic corps......

A Brigadier General ( or whatever) buying street prostitutes......:coffee1:

And when caught...have the nerve to claim diplomatic immunity...

unlike all those shiny examples of virtue that are part of the Western diplomatic corps