melatonin vs 5htp

robblok

I tried both must say the results from 5htp are better. (5 htp helps to get more melatonine). My gf who also has sleeping problems also gets more benefits from 5htp but is quite drowsy in the morning. I don't have that problem.

I tried anti histamine (works a few times but drowsy in the morning)

Melatonin (helps at times)

Gaba (not sure if it helps)

5Htp (works the best but still not always)

Xanax (works but also just a few times plus people say its addictive)

My problems are not sleeping or getting back to sleep but waking up. A month ago i would wake up to 4 times a night.. now just 1 or 2 usually have to go for a pee then and fall right back to sleep. Just hate it as I used to sleep whole nights.

I hadn't heard of 5htp, so thanks for bringing it up.  During a google search for 5htp, I found an interesting product combining melatonin and 5htp.  Back some twenty years ago when I had sleep issues I used to take a capsule of combined melatonin and valerian, which worked better together than either one did separately for me.  I wonder if 5htp+melatonin would be similar?

Also, in your first sentence, did you mean (5 htp helps to get more seratonin)?

Edited by wpcoe
kept typing 5tp...

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

I hadn't heard of 5htp, so thanks for bringing it up.  During a google search for 5htp, I found an interesting product combining melatonin and 5htp.  Back some twenty years ago when I had sleep issues I used to take a capsule of combined melatonin and valerian, which worked better together than either one did separately for me.  I wonder if 5htp+melatonin would be similar?

Also, in your first sentence, did you mean (5 htp helps to get more seratonin)?

The precursor to melatonin is serotonin

I combined melatonin with 5htp as i have / had serious sleep issues but because how bad i sleep varies from day to day I can't say anything definitive about it. 

2 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

is 5htp available OTC in Thailand? I've used melatonin for years with a big improvement to my sleep...trouble is that it's not available everywhere, gonna try lazada the next time...

Not sure, i just bought it from the UK (low shipping) on ebay. I also buy melatonin on ebay so never looked for it in Thaiand.

3 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

is 5htp available OTC in Thailand? I've used melatonin for years with a big improvement to my sleep...trouble is that it's not available everywhere, gonna try lazada the next time...

Try Iherb they can ship to Thailand no problem. This is who I get all my supplements from. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Lazada has 5HTP

as well as melatonin

Hey Sheryl,

What would you recommend for a heavy hitting sleep medication that will just knock me out cold.  My ENT prescribed seroquel and after 2 nights I ended up with splitting headaches.  If you could PM me, I’d really appreciate it.