Humidifiers

ChiangMaiThai

Yes, I know its already humid here, but in an air conditioned room, its definitley not. I've looked at some major appliance stores and they don't even know what I'm talking about.

Does anyone know where humidifiers might be available? Does Thailand have any large online shopping websites where one might be? Amazon has over 100, but I imagine the tax and shipping would be 4 times the price of the machine. Any ideas?

You maywant to take a look at your A/C manual, after noticing I often had a sore throat in the morning, I found out it can control the humidity level as well. It's also not a very recent model. Problem solved, now I can sing in the shower. :o

You maywant to take a look at your A/C manual, after noticing I often had a sore throat in the morning, I found out it can control the humidity level as well. It's also not a very recent model. Problem solved, now I can sing in the shower. :o

This beauty appears to be from the 70's. On/off/temp. I think there could be a niche market for humidifiers... the cold air is great but the dry air causes problems for some...

I have tried the "dry" mode on my Mitsubishi top of the line A/C and all it does is lower the desired teperature by two degrees and then turns itself off until the temperature rises to the desired temperature and then goes on again.

I get headaches from the air being two dry from A?C sometimes.

YES, there are de-humidifies available at PowerBuy. I stumbled onto one, after looking for a year for one, I thought everywhere, as it was a promotional gift if you bought a frig.

I don't know if you can buy one without the frig, but check it out and let us know.

PowerBuy is the sub-leased concession that sells applicances on the top floor of Central and Robinsons in Chiang Mai, don't know if such is the case in BKK or elsewhere.

I have tried the "dry" mode on my Mitsubishi top of the line A/C and all it does is lower the desired teperature by two degrees and then turns itself off until the temperature rises to the desired temperature and then goes on again.

I get headaches from the air being two dry from A?C sometimes.

YES, there are de-humidifies available at PowerBuy.  I stumbled onto one, after looking for a year for one, I thought everywhere, as it was a promotional gift if you bought a frig.

I don't know if you can buy one without the frig, but check it out and let us know.

PowerBuy is the sub-leased concession that sells applicances on the top floor of Central and Robinsons in Chiang Mai, don't know if such is the case in BKK or elsewhere.

I checked the Power Buy website, but can't find any. I'll check the store here in the next couple days. I was quite surprised that no one in the stores I went to even knew what a humidifier was. In a lot of US households, its a common appiance. Type in 'humidifier' in Amazon.com and you get 100 choices. But I guess that's because we have dry air. Still, if you turn the A/C on all night here, you might as well be in Colorado. There is a niche market I believe. Money to be made!

ChiangMaiThai: My experience exactly when it came to ice making machines, but lo and behold, last week I spotted one at PowerBuy, alerted by an ad in a Thai newspaper broght to my attention by Thai wife of across the street farang.

Now ice in abundance, making my life in Thailand all the more pleasureable.

I really think there are a lot of Thai entreprenuers that are looking for opportunities to copy western products and introduce them in Thailand, as Thais seem to welcome the opportunity to live their life more comfortably by untilizing technological advances, if they can afford to.

They do sell fans here with a water injector which sprays water into the air stream.  This would humidify the air for you but I do not think it is self regulated.

I walked into a furniture store where they had some a few of those water injector fans and the humidity level inside the store was much higher than outside, really felt uncomfortable. I think they were originally designed for outdoor use.

I also doubted that the matresses and other items sold there may be affected by that much humidity after a while.

A really good way to check and see if you need more humidity is Take a nice COLD bottle of CHANG out of your reefer,open it and set it on the table [you could use a bottle of water too] and if it starts to sweat and make water on your table,then you have plenty of humidity,if there is no humidity ,it will stay dry and not "sweat".

I have 3 aircons running and we have plenty of humidity,sometimes to much. :o

• 4 years later...

Does anyone know where humidifiers might be available?

I know exactly what you are talking about. We have the same problem.

I have managed to find a small humidifier by Ruenli at a reasonable price, but as it is made in China, you'd better buy two!

At chatuchak in Bangkok we bought them for 800 baht, but I have since discovered that you can buy them at E bay for about half the price. Check out this url

http://translate.google.co.th/translate?hl...AB_enTH252TH257

You can also find better versions in the shops like Robertsons and Central, but there the price is anything up to 16000. (Yes, I know it is a a MUCH better product but still ---) :o

I have a quasi-humidifier we never use. It is basically a fan that also sprays evaporated water from a reservoir. I bought it at Makro for around 2500 bt. Wish I wouldn't have as it sits in a corner collecting dust. It is far too humid here already for the contraption to have much effect. Any offers?