Moving G/Fs Scoopy From Sisaket to Pattaya .Whats Required?

Hi Guys, bought a new Scoopy for GF last xmas. At that time we decided to buy in Sisaket, register in Mums name ( Green book), and keep it in Sisaket. Anyway weve decided to move it to Pattaya now where we live 90% of the time .( Mum staying in Sisaket). A few questions , would appreciate some knowledgable answers:

1) Does Green book need to be re-registered in GF's name ?  ie If so does Mum do it in Sisaket, or do we do it in Pattaya?

2) Do new Pattaya plates need to be fitted, or are the white Sisaket plates fine?

3) Does any of above need doing to enable G/F to get tax/government insurance for the bike ( Say at Mityon Pattaya for example)?

4) Different subject, but whats best/nearest/easiest/quickest place G/F can take MC driving test in Pattaya?

5) Moving bike from Sisaket to Pattaya, can it be 'posted' (Courier) . If so how much, which company, how long does it take, and is it payment  upon collection or delivery?

Lots of questions but thanks in advance

1. You don't have to do anything, you can just keep it registered in her Mums name in Sisaket. If you want to register it in Chonburi for whatever reason you have different options: Change name from Mum to GF at Sisaket DLT, then change province in Chonburi. Or do both at Chonburi DLT,  then you need to go to Chonburi DLT twice, first change province, that takes a few days, then go again to change the name. You need a "transfer ownership of vehicle" (which you can probably find on Google or you can get it at the DLT) signed by her Mum and a signed copy of her Mums ID card.

2. If you move it you get new plates, but as i said, no reason to move it.

3. Anybody who has the green book can buy insurance / tax in any province, doesn't matter where it's registered or on who. If the bike is less than 5 years old you can even pay both in 7/11 (To do it in 7/11 you need to present a Thai ID card)

4. no idea

5. You can send it with the regular post, i don't know what it costs, but probably you can find something on Google, or just ask at the post office.

We "posted" a Yamaha Grand Filano last week from Phitchit to Mukdahan (about 600Kms).  Wife dropped it off at the post office paid I think around 2200baht.  They advised it would take a week but they will call when it arrives at Mukdahan for pick up.

As others wrote:

do nothing about green book/plates if she does not mind that mum remains the legal owner. Regular plates and valid tax sticker are OK everywhere.

Shipment from post office to post office (not house to house) called "logispost".

The nearest DLT office is near highway 36 on the Pattaya eastside.

(if you need detailed location info let us know)

Whether it's "best"? No idea.

For how long will she remain in Sisaket?

Might be more relaxed than the Pattaya office (nitpickers).

Be aware that many DLT offices have a long queue for the test.

Might be two weeks and more.

Show this Thai language video about shipment to your girlfriend :biggrin:

Just came to my mind:

if your GF feels more comfortable to be the owner in the green book, do it in Sisaket.

If GF and mum go to the office together it's easy peasy.

But DON'T go for new (Chonburi) plates. Useless hassle.

I have done exactly the same from Buriram to Pattaya in Fatherinlaws name.  Just reregister it every year and no problems with police at checkpoints.  I even sold it here just got my Fatherinlaw to sign the paperwork.

Ok, thanks for replies. So I read replies  so far as:-

..Easier to leave  Scoopy in Mums name in Sisaket. (which  is great if no issues with police/ taxing  mc ? ) Transport it via post office to post office. And no need to get  new Chonburi plates.

I was quoted 1,500 from BKK to Chiang Mai for a Scoopy, using a courier. To be honest I can't recall the details of the courier, I just remember it was 1,5k.

If you care about spending a bit less it may be worth asking others, as CM to BKK is a longer way than Sisaket to Pattaya.

2 hours ago, jippytum said:

Legally you should register the bike in your new location after three months

Do you have a source for that (English or Thai)?

First time I read this.

Surprising as millions of cars are driving with Bangkok plates everywhere (assuming on finance/leasing companies).

1500 baht  delivery is fine by me, If we leave Sisaket plates on bike and leave it  in Mums name (also registered in Sisaket ), whats the deal on GF taxing it in Pattaya? Can we just walk into any Mityon with green book, or does it have be done in Sisaket by Mum ? ( Less convenient if so)..thanks

ps We paid cash for Scoopy if that makes any difference.

Theres a place on sukhumvit rd near pattaya north road to take your bike. If the bike is over a year old they run a few tests, pay your yearly tax there.  You come back the following day pickup your new sticker for the year.

7 hours ago, Rolanddrums said:

1500 baht  delivery is fine by me, If we leave Sisaket plates on bike and leave it  in Mums name (also registered in Sisaket ), whats the deal on GF taxing it in Pattaya? Can we just walk into any Mityon with green book, or does it have be done in Sisaket by Mum ? ( Less convenient if so)..thanks

ps We paid cash for Scoopy if that makes any difference.

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

3. Anybody who has the green book can buy insurance / tax in any province, doesn't matter where it's registered or on who. If the bike is less than 5 years old you can even pay both in 7/11 (To do it in 7/11 you need to present a Thai ID card)

12 hours ago, jippytum said:

Really !!! Strange as both my bike and car were registered in Phuket but we have lived in Suratthani for the past 8 years...

Never an issue and you would think, if this was actually the law, DLT office would bring it up every year when we re-tax them ??

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Really !!! Strange as both my bike and car were registered in Phuket but we have lived in Suratthani for the past 8 years...

Never an issue and you would think, if this was actually the law, DLT office would bring it up every year when we re-tax them ??

Exactly. The rules are "There aint no rules". There are many many times here where the fine is nothing compared to the hassle of compliance. I'm on a road trip right now and would have had to make half a dozen Immigration stops in as many days to comply with their nonsense. Not happening. 

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Why ? 

If you are temporarily in Thailand (means every foreigner who does not have permanent resident status) and stay in a different police district you have to report your stay to police. So if you make a road trip and stay at a different place every day you have to file a TM28 every day at a police station

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If you are temporarily in Thailand (means every foreigner who does not have permanent resident status) and stay in a different police district you have to report your stay to police. So if you make a road trip and stay at a different place every day you have to file a TM28 every day at a police station

Really ? I thought the house/hotel owner had to report you staying, to immigration ? Normally done online for businesses..

I'm with you, no way I ever report to any police station voluntarily :)

Jackdd....Ok thanks , missed your reply first time. Probably taking too much note of the next unhelpful post which just said 'Ask your GF'. Incidently GF has been looking into it aswell but was not sure (Same as me) which is why I suggested  to her we ask on here and have received some good info (Thanks again). Jokes aside ,,shes only young, helps me with everything where she can. 

Khun Ben..thanks for video Ive shown to GF already.

1 hour ago, Rolanddrums said:

Jackdd....Ok thanks , missed your reply first time. Probably taking too much note of the next unhelpful post which just said 'Ask your GF'. Incidently GF has been looking into it aswell but was not sure (Same as me) which is why I suggested  to her we ask on here and have received some good info (Thanks again). Jokes aside ,,shes only young, helps me with everything where she can. 

Khun Ben..thanks for video Ive shown to GF already.

Another, much faster alternative to Thailand Post is to check with your regional 'VIP' air-conditioned bus company. Pretty sure there's at least one that runs Ubon/Sisaket to Pattaya/Rayong. They take the bike mirrors off and load them in the cargo space below the upper deck, behind the lower deck seating, above the back axle, ahead of the engine compartment. Sent bikes to/from Pattaya to Udon with the '407' bus company. Udon registered bikes in Pattaya and Pattaya registered bikes in Udon, never any hassle and either way lends one a certain social caché.

If thats the law...it must be one of the most ignored.
In fact I can't really believe its the law...you can pay road tax and insurance (some call this yearly registration its not) in any province no mater what province the vehicle is registered ,you can even do it at 7/11

On 4/28/2018 at 11:49 AM, NanLaew said:

Another, much faster alternative to Thailand Post is to check with your regional 'VIP' air-conditioned bus company. Pretty sure there's at least one that runs Ubon/Sisaket to Pattaya/Rayong. They take the bike mirrors off and load them in the cargo space below the upper deck, behind the lower deck seating, above the back axle, ahead of the engine compartment. Sent bikes to/from Pattaya to Udon with the '407' bus company. Udon registered bikes in Pattaya and Pattaya registered bikes in Udon, never any hassle and either way lends one a certain social caché.

+1  Cost from Pattaya to Roi Et for a Honda CBR 150R was 800 Baht.  Put the kickstand down, tied it down in the center of the lower deck between the two exit doors and just ahead of the toilet, no problem.

Archived