Son caught with cannabis on the islands

Your original post was Feb 24th but if I remember right that's not 2 months within the justice system because he was out on bail for most of it?

How much did you pay in total, from start to finish?

I remember in your first thread a lot of people were advocating not paying a large bribe and just letting it work its way through the system, it sounds as though that was the way to go in terms of paying the least amount of money, but perhaps not in terms of time taken - most people wouldn't want to be stuck in Thailand for 2 months without a passport.

Surprised to learn he is blacklisted for life, especially with such a small fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mum2 said:

Believe all you want - but reality is  yes they do have to pay, and without it he would have been charged for an overstay. Things have altered significantly in the last 18 month a or so since martial law took hold. 

It has been a significant life lesson and he is one of the lucky ones who could pay to get it completed more quickly

He may have been told that by others but, no, the reality is that they would not be charged for overstay if they were detained by authorities.  Martial law was lifted in Thailand in April 2015.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mum2 said:

Believe all you want - but reality is  yes they do have to pay, and without it he would have been charged for an overstay. Things have altered significantly in the last 18 month a or so since martial law took hold. 

It has been a significant life lesson and he is one of the lucky ones who could pay to get it completed more quickly

I hope that you really pulled his ears in a way that he understood what others went through. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mum2 said:

Apologies I actually meant military law which replaced martial law and is seen to be more stringent than previous administrations

Military law did not replace martial law when the latter was lifted in Thailand!  Military law applies to those in the military.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

I'm surprised that the tourist police weren't contacted, they would have at least explained the whole procedure to you beforehand, they are, in theory at least, supposed to ensure your rights although these days anything is possible.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Military law did not replace martial law when the latter was lifted in Thailand!  Military law applies to those in the military.

I guess she just meant military rule.

Edited by jenny2017
  • Thanks 2

Would be interested to know how old your son is but the saying goes do the crime serve the time, he must of known that drugs are a no no if you travel to Thailand , the other thing is that if you are incarcerated or in hospital immigration will renew your visa there was no need to pay a back hander , lawyers are no different  than any other official if there is money to be made corruption is open in Thailand where in the Western world it’s all under the table. Your son is very lucky I know of a guy who is now serving 4 years and that’s after he paid over quarter of a million baht to get a reduced sentence he had less than 6 gm but was caught selling it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1