At Wits End, Cry for Help

baansgr

Three young kids lives could be destroyed without a solution. 12,10,8 years old. Thai Mother UK Father, divorced 2 years, kids living with Mother who is now about to go and work in Korea. Joint custody through the divorce agreement but kids stay with Mother. Mother not paid school fees for 4 years totalling over 400K Baht even though Father gave to her. Kids now with Father as Mother was going to send kids to a tiny village in Issan with no education arranged. Father has tried numerous schools in the Pattaya area but all the schools require document from previous school which will only issue on payment. Father can afford to enrol in new school but dosnt have and can not raise sufficient to pay previous schools. Previous schools approached and talked to but insist on payment (which of course they are entitled to its not their fault) although why allow 4 years to rack up is beyond belief. This is a life changing situation for 3 well behaved and reasonably itellegent children. Is there a solution, its heartbreaking to think an education system could let youngsters down because of a parents dishonesty. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, Father is even prepared to re locate if the kids can enrol somewhere.

You have shared custody which also include shared responsibility to ensure that children get education. The common response to the problem you have is that the responsible parent need to pay it. This applies to both Thai's and Westerners. I'm not suggesting that you should pay of course. The Thai parent in that situation would find another way around of course, you can do the same but let's find out of you have to first 

I first recommend a trip to the Ministry of Education, I've been there a few times in the past discussing their stance to court cases where I interpreted, they are nice and helpful. I don't know how much Thai you speak but you'll either eventually get to someone who speaks good English (there are quite a few) or you can handle it in Thai. Wave the court order and they'll get the right person for you :) Politely of course. People who choose ministry of education don't (only) do it for the money :) I'm not sure but it is quite possible that the law and MoE rules state that school must issue the document T.B.2 (transfer of pupil) regardless of if school fees are outstanding. You need to ask direct questions: Does previous school by MoE rules have to issue TB2 also if debt is outstanding and May I have copies of the paragraphs stating that, The school refuse, I formally ask How is the MoE going to help? It is possible that the MoE will confirm that the rules state that TB2 must be issued but won't act to help and will give "the silent treatment" after you send recorded delivery letter. It's also quite possible that the school still will refuse also with MoE evidence, recorded delivery letter to the principal and MoE jointly may or may not help. I think that it is important to tell MoE that you simply do not have the money to pay and you will in the best interest of the children go to criminal court to put the mother in jail to prove that you are innocent and the mother is bad for the children and then on to Juvenile and take sole custody and bring the children to your home country and the mother will never see them again if education in Thailand problem cannot be solved (if they have jurisdiction, do they prefer to help then...?)  

If MoE confirm that debt really must be paid before TB2 can be issued, perhaps do what the Thai's would do. Relocate to the home village and enroll the children for one term there (they'll be OK, let the grand mother enroll), then get TB2 from that school and back and enroll in Pattaya

Michael

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

You have shared custody which also include shared responsibility to ensure that children get education. The common response to the problem you have is that the responsible parent need to pay it. This applies to both Thai's and Westerners. I'm not suggesting that you should pay of course. The Thai parent in that situation would find another way around of course, you can do the same but let's find out of you have to first 

I first recommend a trip to the Ministry of Education, I've been there a few times in the past discussing their stance to court cases where I interpreted, they are nice and helpful. I don't know how much Thai you speak but you'll either eventually get to someone who speaks good English (there are quite a few) or you can handle it in Thai. Wave the court order and they'll get the right person for you :) Politely of course. People who choose ministry of education don't (only) do it for the money :) I'm not sure but it is quite possible that the law and MoE rules state that school must issue the document T.B.2 (transfer of pupil) regardless of if school fees are outstanding. You need to ask direct questions: Does previous school by MoE rules have to issue TB2 also if debt is outstanding and May I have copies of the paragraphs stating that, The school refuse, I formally ask How is the MoE going to help? It is possible that the MoE will confirm that the rules state that TB2 must be issued but won't act to help and will give "the silent treatment" after you send recorded delivery letter. It's also quite possible that the school still will refuse also with MoE evidence, recorded delivery letter to the principal and MoE jointly may or may not help. I think that it is important to tell MoE that you simply do not have the money to pay and you will in the best interest of the children go to criminal court to put the mother in jail to prove that you are innocent and the mother is bad for the children and then on to Juvenile and take sole custody and bring the children to your home country and the mother will never see them again if education in Thailand problem cannot be solved (if they have jurisdiction, do they prefer to help then...?)  

If MoE confirm that debt really must be paid before TB2 can be issued, perhaps do what the Thai's would do. Relocate to the home village and enroll the children for one term there (they'll be OK, let the grand mother enroll), then get TB2 from that school and back and enroll in Pattaya

Michael

I appreciate your reply, thankyou. Due to a recommendation from darksidedog, we have now found a suitable school in the Pattaya area that the kids can enrol.

• Like 2