What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Jamie Dornan is the ever so sexy lead in the film version of 50 Shades of Gray. So i think you are going to see much more than you actually hoped for. Have you read the books?

His career is set.

How is the movie?

I haven't read any of the books

The new version of "Annie" is really good in my opinion. Annie is black - she was white in the comic strip - but she is so adorable that it is justified. She would have beat any honkies for the role at a casting call. Quvenzhané Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild) really has charisma. Jammie Foxx, Cameron Diaz and David Zayas (the Hispanic detective on Dexter) were good too.I loved the play when I saw it in San Francisco many years ago.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

The Mekong River with Sue Perkins is a four part documentary which i really liked. She is quirky and funny and really shows the people in a good way.

My u torrent buggered itself up. I had to zap it and re install. So it's good to see the movies i was going to watch to be able to download them again!!

Annie is on my list.

And of course, it's Bad Santa time again...

Edited by Patsycat

I watched Merry <deleted> Christmas with the late, great Robin Williams. It was a sweet movie, but not his best.

Recently i have been downloading Australian miniseries, the ones i have watched and enjoyed are Secrets and Lies and Love Child. Next one shall be The Slap.

I didn't like that Remember Me with Michael Palin at all. In fact i fell asleep twice trying to watch it!!

Also, during an insommnia night i watch 21 and 22 Jump Street back to back. Very funny - never seen them before.

On my list for the next few days are - Jersey Boys, Camp X Ray, and Amelia.

Bugger Thanksgiving ruined my viewing pleasure last week!!!

Iff you like Australian series ,have you tried A place to call home , its not bad

• Like 2

I watched Anthony "I'm So Hip" Bourdain's Parts Unknown episode that featured the MotorMouth's trip to Chiang Mai, with his sidekick, Chef Andy Ricker , whose restaurants in Portland and NYC feature "authentic" Northern Thai cuisine. Khun Andy seems like a decent, thoughtful and respectful guy who has made a years-long in-depth study of Northern Thai cuisine, language and culture. I think he might have been just a little embarrassed at the final cut of this show, although no doubt pleased by all of the free publicity and extra trade it made for his eateries.

The show focused on AB and Andy eating, drinking-drinking-eating, more DRINKING, going to sleazy clubs, adding to his tattoo collection, and just being an all-over obnoxious American blowhard. In one over-long sequence, AB and Andy went to a ladyboy show, and AB got kissed by a fat ladyboy. He kept referring to it after the fact, as if he was afraid people might wonder about his sexual proclivities.

This show made Chiang Mai look like some sort of third world tawdry hellhole, where everybody eats extreme pork offerings on the street, and drinks Lao Kao and Sangsom, chased with iced Leo beer. Instead of his trademark rumpled plaid shirt, he should have done this episode wearing a sweaty Chang Beer tank top.

Thanks a lot, "Tone." Don't come back.

-1/10

• Like 1

This show made Chiang Mai look like some sort of third world tawdry hellhole, where everybody eats extreme pork offerings on the street, and drinks Lao Kao and Sangsom, chased with iced Leo beer. Instead of his trademark rumpled plaid shirt, he should have done this episode wearing a sweaty Chang Beer tank top.

Sounds like Chiang Mai when I first got here. The thousands of cheap brothels all over the city did not help. Time Magazine described it as a "Wild West Town".

Watched "Fury" last night. It was okay. I had read that it conveyed the fear of being in war but i have seen other movies that do that better. For example "The thin red line".

I saw it last night and really liked it. I was in the Marines, but no combat at that time in American history. However, it seems to me that it conveyed how arbitrary and screwed up war is and how different from the movies we watched when we were kids.

• Like 2

An older series ,but on the bay ,its called "this life" about young lawyers living in a rented house ,the lead from the walking dead is one of the stars ,and if you are a Brit you will recognise all the actors ,ime hooked ,its good.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Anthony Bourdin - he does great foodie and history documentaries. The Parts Unknown are great - The Thailand ones are Season3 E07 and E08 I think. Don't u toob them, not good.

Try his new ones. Tanzania, Jamaica etc. very well filmed and documented.

And for a man in his early sixties, having travelled the world and eaten things that would make me dead. He's not lookin' too bad too!!

Edited by Patsycat
  • Like 1

For fans of the Arcane and Obscure: "Los Angeles Plays Itself". A LONG documentary (2:50 !!) featuring hundreds of clips from films both famous and forgotten, in which the City of Los Angeles serves as backdrop. Thom Andersen, the writer/narrator takes the position that "Hollywood" hates L.A. He also hates people saying "L.A." instead of the Midwestern drawl-y mispronounced "Loss AN-j'llous". He has a voice that could induce sleep, but he makes a lot of interesting observations.

Whether you agree with him or not, there are some great clips on view, and little known factoids about them, that could perhaps help you to win at trivia sometime. It made me miss my favorite US city, rolling down the Harbor Freeway (110) in a rented car to the Port of L.A., or better yet, driving the entire length of string-straight N -S Western Avenue, 26 miles from Hollywood to the Pacific, passing through a succession of ethnic enclaves all the way.

Available at the usual place, worth a look if you're a film fan, which I know you all are.

7-1/2 / 10 for excellence in research.

• Like 2

Watched this one today gang and quite enjoyed it.

IMO, Jake Gyllenhaal has become a real good actor.

IMDB: When Lou Bloom, a driven man desperate for work, muscles into the world of L.A. crime journalism, he blurs the line between observer and participant to become the star of his own story. Aiding him in his effort is Nina, a TV-news veteran.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2872718/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Like 2

Thanks a lot, "Tone." Don't come back.

-1/10

Agreed. My mom saved it for me for my visit. We watched it and she looked at me like, "Why the hell would you want to live there, and why the hell would I want to visit?"

I usually like his shows, or at least I liked his old show.

• Like 1