What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

I watched 20 minutes of the first episode of Ascension and switched to something else - Friday Night Lights - too. I was not totally turned off, but it did not grab me either.

Television series on SyFy tend to be mediocre IMO, but I kind of liked the recent one about Zombies - Z Nation - although the Walking Dead is much better. Can anyone name a really good one on SyFy? I might have missed something.

Ascension, kept fast forwarding over parts of episode 1. biggrin.png

As for really good one on SyFy, this is obviously personal taste and an older series but I liked Eureka.

• Like 1

I watched 20 minutes of the first episode of Ascension and switched to something else - Friday Night Lights - too. I was not totally turned off, but it did not grab me either.

Television series on SyFy tend to be mediocre IMO, but I kind of liked the recent one about Zombies - Z Nation - although the Walking Dead is much better. Can anyone name a really good one on SyFy? I might have missed something.

As for really good one on SyFy, this is obviously personal taste and an older series but I liked Eureka.

Here is a list of what syfy has done

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_Syfy

I also liked Z nation. It has been renewed for a season 2. From the last episode i wasn't so sure.

Defiance was a good premise, but all the perfect looking actors turned me off. Maybe the script too

• Like 1

Eureka sounds interesting. I will give it a look.

I watched the first season of Defiance and thought it was OK, but his alien daughter was so ugly that I got put off, because I could not believe that anyone would really have the hots for her. I stopped watching it after that.

There were a couple of other similar sci fi TV series - Falling Skies was one of them - that were similar around that time, that I did not bother with after one year.

Eureka sounds interesting. I will give it a look.

I watched the first season of Defiance and thought it was OK, but his alien daughter was so ugly that I got put off, because I could not believe that anyone would really have the hots for her. I stopped watching it after that.

There were a couple of other similar sci fi TV series - Falling Skies was one of them - that were similar around that time, that I did not bother with after one year.

They were all stinkers, including Defiance.

The Imitation Game

During the winter of 1952, British authorities entered the home of mathematician, cryptanalyst and war hero Alan Turing (Benedict Cumberbatch) to investigate a reported burglary. They instead ended up arresting Turing himself on charges of 'gross indecency', an accusation that would lead to his devastating conviction for the criminal offense of homosexuality - little did officials know, they were actually incriminating the pioneer of modern-day computing. Famously leading a motley group of scholars, linguists, chess champions and intelligence officers, he was credited with cracking the so-called unbreakable codes of Germany's World War II Enigma machine. An intense and haunting portrayal of a brilliant, complicated man, THE IMITATION GAME follows a genius who under nail-biting pressure helped to shorten the war and, in turn, save thousands of lives.

7/10 from me

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_imitation_game/

• Like 2

Whiplash

Early days yet, but a contender for movie of the year I reckon.
Thought J.K Simmons was sensational.
Just a fantastic movie.

IMDB: A promising young drummer enrolls at a cutthroat music conservatory where his dreams
of greatness are mentored by an instructor who will stop at nothing to realize a student's potential.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2582802/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Like 2

American Sniper

Based on a true story, about American sniper, Chris Kyle, credited with 160+ kills in Iraq. Bradley Cooper in the lead role does a great job.

Pretty well done. 8/10 from me

I thought it was a tad long as well, but still really enjoyed it.

For you music lovers, recently watched a really good documentary called Twenty Feet from Stardom.

IMDB: Backup singers live in a world that lies just beyond the spotlight. Their voices bring harmony to the biggest bands

in popular music, but we've had no idea who these singers are or what lives they lead, until now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2396566/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Like 1

Whiplash

Early days yet, but a contender for movie of the year I reckon.

Thought J.K Simmons was sensational.

Just a fantastic movie.

+1

Very good movie. Avoids a lot of cliches and kept me interested throughout

+2

Top movie.

"Maybe" best movie i have watched in several years.

• Like 2

Just watched "Birdman".

Need to watch again. Great actors.

This one had some standout performances!

Great cast:

Michael Keaton, Emma Stone, Naomi Watts, Zach Galifinakas, Edward Norton.

Micheal Keaton and Emma Stone both won a Golden Globe.

• Like 2

Speaking of the Golden Globes.

Glad to see J.K Simmons get the gong for his role in Whiplash.

Was also glad that Fargo won best mini-series in a strong category

that included True Detective, Olive Kitterage & The Missing.

Haven't seen the other series nominated The Normal Heart.

• Like 2