What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

'Sex and drugs and rock and roll; new comedy on amazon,

25 years on and 'johnny rock';. wants to get the band ' the heathens' bac together,

aided by richish drop dead hot ,lead singer who happens to be, johni;;;;;;;;spoiler spoiler spoilerclap2.gif watch it and find out

not exactly subtle or innovative, but the subject makes it easy on the eye and plenty room for amusing scenarios

• Like 2

Online criminals set to face tougher penalties for copyright theft

Key Phrase:

"At present, commercial-scale online copyright infringement is only punishable by a maximum of 2 years imprisonment, by comparison the maximum sentence for infringement of physical goods is 10 years. The UK’s creative industries, including film, television and music, are worth £7.1 billion per year to the UK economy and support more than 1.6 million jobs. The new proposals will offer the creative industries further protection from large-scale online copyright offenders and act as a significant deterrent".

Mods: Feel free to move if there's a better place for this heads-up.

Edited by evadgib

Glitch is an Aussie 6 parter about people coming back to life.

I enjoyed it and there was a bit of a cliff hanger at the end of the last episode, which hopefully means a second series.

I am on the second episode ,still not sure ,but its not bad , also watching a French series witnesses ,this i do like ., a british documentry Benifits by the sea ,for those of us who like to shout at the tv biggrin.png

'Sex and drugs and rock and roll; new comedy on amazon,

25 years on and 'johnny rock';. wants to get the band ' the heathens' bac together,

aided by richish drop dead hot ,lead singer who happens to be, johni;;;;;;;;spoiler spoiler spoilerclap2.gif watch it and find out

not exactly subtle or innovative, but the subject makes it easy on the eye and plenty room for amusing scenarios

Yeah agree with you here rijit... Wasn't sure what to think of it before downloading it... Denis Leary though, surely can't be a bad watch, at least get some laughs... Pretty easy to watch and given that Friday night was pretty thin on viewing it slotted in well enough...

• Like 2

Storyville: The last days in Vietnam (95 mins): Riveting accounts c/w footage marking the events of 40 years ago. Of particular note was the bravery of a Chinnok pilot who's final flight placed him on par with the likes of Guy Gibson & Co a generation earlier.

The Outcast (90 mins x2): Described as a coming of age drama based on a novel by Sadie Jones set just after the war. I found this quite slow & seemingly more interesting to women than us blokes, but it came good at the end and was worth watching due to the stunning English countryside (It was clearly filmed in June, Beech trees, birdsong an' all that!) & accuracy re vintage cars, albeit in mint condition!

Coast-Series 10: This popular series documenting British & other coastlines is 2 episodes into it's current run. Episode 2 covered the various things that come from the sea & went as far afield as the Faro Islands and Denmark, with mussels the size of a pub ashtray and a descendant of the vikings 'wind-drying' mutton for 6-8 months in sea air to be eaten raw.

All of the above are well worth a look if you're bored :)

HTH

• Like 2

The Harder They Fall (1956) Bogey at the end of his run, is still Bogey

Humphrey Bogart plays a laid off newspaperman who agrees to do PR work on the promise of a big payoff from evil boxing promoter Rod Steiger. Steiger has found a giant circus strongman (El Toro) from Argentina and brought him to the States to promote him as a boxer, which he is not, and never will be. Bogart's job is to draw media attention to this poor simple man, and he does it all too well, constantly lying to the guy while gaining his naive trust. The results are predictably tragic. Bogey temporarily surrenders his integrity for cash, but, this being a Fifties movie (LOVE THOSE!), he eventually finds it again.

Rod Steiger was early in his transition from NYC stage actor to movie star, and he owns this film. How can one guy talk that fast!? He plays a character nearly identical to his role as Brando's brother Charlie ("It was YOU, Charlie!") in On the Waterfront, another Schulberg masterpiece. Worthwhile viewing if only for the period style, the snappy dialog, the clothes, the NY street scenes, and the hats, all in glorious black and white. This was near the end of the era when all gentlemen wore hats, usually fedoras, outdoors. JFK and his bushy locks spelled doom for American hatmakers, another tragedy of the Sixties.

EIGHT for a sentimental backward glance, and a tight Budd Schulberg inspired script.

Edited by Frank James
  • Like 1

Gives me impure thoughts about Anita....cheesy.gif

Nicely put. smile.png

Unfortunately, Anita is the only "thing" that I found interesting. I have no problems with good science fiction but the idea of robots having real feelings did not do it for me. Gave up after the first episode, which, I read, was a huge success in Britain with a few million viewers. Do not know how the numbers developed, though.

Edited by jope
  • Like 1

Nicely put. smile.png

Unfortunately, Anita is the only "thing" that I found interesting. I have no problems with good science fiction but the idea of robots having real feelings did not do it for me. Gave up after the first episode, which, I read, was a huge success in Britain with a few million viewers. Do not know how the numbers developed, though.

not big up on sci fi but tbh aint got any issues with the concept of the show, but somehow there's an imbalance in the story, they dont seem to get the balance between where the human societies at and where the 'robot cultures' at they feel like almost two different times.

• Like 1

Nicely put. smile.png

Unfortunately, Anita is the only "thing" that I found interesting. I have no problems with good science fiction but the idea of robots having real feelings did not do it for me.

It is quite a common theme in sci fi. What if robots develop human emotions or become smarter than us and take over the world? There are also references to Issac Asimov's robot laws.

The Three Laws of Robotics (often shortened to The Three Laws or Three Laws, also known as Asimov's Laws) are a set of rules devised by the science fiction author Isaac Asimov. The rules were introduced in his 1942 short story "Runaround", although they had been foreshadowed in a few earlier stories. The Three Laws, quoted as being from the "Handbook of Robotics, 56th Edition, 2058 A.D.", are:

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not

with the First or Second Laws.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics

• Like 1

Started TUT last night thought it might be about a girl I knew in Soi Cowboysmile.png

But actually its not bad, poor mans GOT in some ways, brother and sister married, sex,plenty of violence, extras by the thousands.

Interesting to hear other comments, as one thing i found was the costumes all look like they just came out the box, the sets just a bit to tidy, colorful and clean

Ben Kingsley with too much eye shadow

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/spike-miniseries-king-tut-ratings-1201544192/

• Like 1

Clouds of Sils Maria (2014) Euro art house to the max!

Here's another film that takes us "Inside Show Biz", in which we see, yet again, that it ain't all bright lights and glamour being a movie star, especially if you're a 'woman of a certain age.' Juliette Binoche, age 51, plays a forty-something Big Star who agrees, reluctantly, to return to the London stage to co-star in a play that launched her career at age 18. Only this time she plays the part of the older woman who falls tragically in love with her personal assistant, played by Chloe Grace Moretz, who has the most amazing lips on film I've seen since 1963, on the young Jeanne Moreau in Jules & Jim.

Juliette B is surely one of the greatest film actresses ever, who always shines in whatever she does. Her all-time greatest role (IMHO, of course) was in Three Colors: Blue. She takes big risks in this film, first appearing all dolled up on the red carpet with perfect clothes, makeup, shoes and hair, and then spends the rest of the film appearing to wear no makeup at all. (made up to look un-made up!) She is paired up with Kristen Stewart, one of the finest young actresses of this generation. She plays JB's personal assistant, managing her appointments and rehearsing for the upcoming play. They stay together at a lovely house in the Alps, owned by the widow of the newly deceased playwright who wrote the play that started all. JB seems to be struggling with the fact of her age, and having to play second fiddle to an actress who is constant fodder for the tabloid press.

Juliette speaks English like an American. The Alpine scenery is lovely, and the daily interchange between Juliette and Kristen shows two fine actresses at the top of their game. If you like talky Euro-style movies where nothing much "happens," this is worth a look. Now, back to Ray Donovan!

Eight ...for Juliette, letting it all hang out.

Edited by Frank James
  • Like 1

Wayward Pines is over - at least for this season. I thought it was really good. They were smart to let the audience know what was going on pretty early, instead of getting weirder and weirder like so many modern sci-fi shows like The Leftovers or The Dome.

• Like 2

On the advice of Claudius, I watched "Aktor Manniskor" last night.

It's a Swedish version of "Humans" - although they made it first, & it's really good.

Alot more detail & explanation of the plot....& Anita's still hot!!

Look around for the 720p version.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Wayward Pines is over - at least for this season. I thought it was really good. They were smart to let the audience know what was going on pretty early, instead of getting weirder and weirder like so many modern sci-fi shows like The Leftovers or The Dome.

I still have to watch it. BTW, Fox did not renew Wayward Pines for a second season. And most importantly: I really really liked the Leftovers and I would NOT call it weird (I do unterstand, though, that other people might classify it as such smile.png )

• Like 1