What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

I too was in a documentary mood over the weekend, I watched the Jim Bulger story, Bulger or 'Whitey' as he was known in "Southy" Boston was an Irish American gangster...

The story focuses on his recent trial and conviction for multiple crimes (murder, racketeering, extortion and whatever else he got up to 31 convictions in total) granted he was no Al Copone but bloody hell, he did some damage and has maintained to this day that he's a criminal with scruples and denies ever being an informant for the Feds.

The trial has certainly opened up some division within the FBI and DoJ, good viewing and nowhere near as 'out there' as some of the Mexican Cartel stuff (thanks Khun Will27, I'm lining that one up as we speak)

I posted on the Whitey Bulger doco a while ago after reading a few books

about him and organized crime in Boston.

The lines certainly got crossed over between him, DOJ and the FBI.

I enjoyed that one.

• Like 1

The Kill Team

Another thought proving documentary I really enjoyed.

IMDB: A documentary that unveils the moral tensions that tear at soldiers' psyches through the lens of one highly personal story:

Private Adam Winfield was a 21-year-old soldier in Afghanistan when he attempted with the help of his father to alert the military

to heinous war crimes his platoon was committing. But Winfield's pleas went unheeded. Left on his own and with threats to his life,

Private Winfield was himself drawn into the moral abyss, forced to make a split-second decision that would change his life forever.

• Like 1

Exodus Gods and Kings is out in the cinema. I decided to see this one on the big screen (in 2d) Some great effects. Simply amazing what they can do for these movies now. Action, but not one I'd suggest rusing out to see. Christian Bale, Joel Edgerton, John Turturro, Aaron Paul, Ben Mendelsohn, Sigourney Weaver and Ben Kingsley

6/10 from me

The defiant leader Moses rises up against the Egyptian Pharaoh Ramses, setting 600,000 slaves on a monumental journey of escape from Egypt and its terrifying cycle of deadly plagues. (from IMDB)

• Like 1

Really looking forward to episode 5 of The Newsroom tonight.

Aaron Sorkins writing is superb and I reckon Jeff Daniels is a smokey for an Emmy.

I can't really understand why it doesn't get the accolades it deserves.

I think it's sensational.

• Like 1

I have soooooooooooo many shows and movies lined up to watch from reading through this thread. A smorgasbord of choice!

Yes BookMan, this thread is fantastic.

It's hard to keep up with what's out there so it's good to be able to cherry pick from here.

There's quite a variety of tastes and opinions as well which is never a bad thing.

I'll second that... I've got 2 ultra long flights coming up at Christmas and having viewed the inflight menu for movies / tv series, my iPad is going to be running hot :P

I also Just finished watching Mrs Brown's Boys "D Movie" jesus <deleted>' christ what an absolute riot!

Another new show that kicked off tonight in the states, "The Librarians" another along the Sci-Fi genre, like a "Star Gate SG1" for book nerds, maybe that's a little far fetched but so far "could" be worthwhile, Rebecca Romijn does not look nearly as hot as she once did and I do enjoy John Laroquette as an actor...

Chalk one up for the Aussie soap factory "Neighbours" producing another American series actor, he also gets to keep his aussie accent...

• Like 2

Aaron Sorkins writing is superb and I reckon Jeff Daniels is a smokey for an Emmy.

It is too obvious that it is propaganda - at least it was for the first season season when I was watching it. I actually kind of enjoy the stories anyway, but much preferred The West Wing. I didn't feel that I was being manipulated so much.

I have soooooooooooo many shows and movies lined up to watch from reading through this thread. A smorgasbord of choice!

Yes BookMan, this thread is fantastic.

It's hard to keep up with what's out there so it's good to be able to cherry pick from here.

There's quite a variety of tastes and opinions as well which is never a bad thing.

I'll second that... I've got 2 ultra long flights coming up at Christmas and having viewed the inflight menu for movies / tv series, my iPad is going to be running hot tongue.png

I also Just finished watching Mrs Brown's Boys "D Movie" jesus <deleted>' christ what an absolute riot!

Another new show that kicked off tonight in the states, "The Librarians" another along the Sci-Fi genre, like a "Star Gate SG1" for book nerds, maybe that's a little far fetched but so far "could" be worthwhile, Rebecca Romijn does not look nearly as hot as she once did and I do enjoy John Laroquette as an actor...

Chalk one up for the Aussie soap factory "Neighbours" producing another American series actor, he also gets to keep his aussie accent...

A mate from Oz recommended Mrs Brown's Boys but It never really appealed to me.

I might have to give it a crack.

Edited by Will27

It is too obvious that it is propaganda - at least it was for the first season season when I was watching it. I actually kind of enjoy the stories anyway, but much preferred The West Wing. I didn't feel that I was being manipulated so much.

I've never felt manipulated whilst watching it, but then again I'm not that cluey with American politics.

I just think it's just superbly written. I notice that Sorkin wrote the West Wing as well.

I never watched any of WW but it always got great reviews.

• Like 1

Let me giver you a clue then. Any character who claims - over and over again - to be a "Republican", but only seems to recognize the same problems and scandals as Harry Reid and Nancy Polosi is not realistic. The Democrats have plenty of shady goings on too, but not on the first season of The Newsroom (maybe that has changed because there were so many complaints?).

If you like The Newsroom, you really should download The West Wing. IMO, the show, that actors and the characters were much superior.

• Like 2

Night-crawler and Saint Vincent are both really good and both very new. .

Night-crawler reminds me of The Amazing Mr Ripley as it is about a persistent sociopath that keeps succeeding and St Vincent is about a real A-hole - played by Bill Murray - who is not really as bad as he seems.
Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Yeah I was never really a fan of the TV Show (perhaps it was the episode format, might be a good to watch a complete season in a sitting) but, &lt;deleted&gt; me, the movie was funny...

• Like 2

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but I've just finished the recent BBC comedy 'Detectorists' and really enjoyed it.

Don't expect rapid fire gags as you would in something like Moderen Family - it's much more laid back and wistful.

It's set around a couple of metal detecting enthusiasts searching for a Saxon burial ground.

• Like 2

Yeah I was never really a fan of the TV Show (perhaps it was the episode format, might be a good to watch a complete season in a sitting) but, <deleted> me, the movie was funny...

Strange ,i thought the series was great ,but the latest movie was absolute tripe ,i had to switch it off after 10 minutes.

Last night I discovered that I was all caught up on my viewing, so re-watched American Hustle. I don't remember being especially impressed with this film the first time, but with this second look...WOW! It's an advanced acting showcase featuring some of the best young actors of this era. Is there anything Christian Bale can't do? Compare this performance, as a nervous little hustler with the world's worst toupee, with his role as the broke down crackhead fighter Tommy in The Fighter (also directed by David O. Russell.)

Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence are superb in their portrayals of the two women turning the Bale character into an emotional basket case. The confrontation scene of the two ladies in the powder room is an all time classic. Bradley Cooper as the manic FBI agent, out to entrap politicians at any cost, just to advance his own shabby career...perfect. Louis CK as his bumbling boss, steals every scene he's in. There is not a bad performance in this film. Jeremy Renner as the Mayor Of Camden, New Jersey does a very sympathetic portrait of a good-hearted man, trying to do right for his constituents, but in the wrong way.

The crowning touch is five minutes of sheer menace in a cameo role by Robert Deniro, as the mob kingpen from Miami. The script is an actor's dream, with dialog reminiscent of the best of David Mamet.

Many folks did not love this film, but for me it 's>>>> TEN over TEN. Gets my vote as the best American film of 2013.

Edited by Frank James
  • Like 1

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but I've just finished the recent BBC comedy 'Detectorists' and really enjoyed it.

Don't expect rapid fire gags as you would in something like Moderen Family - it's much more laid back and wistful.

It's set around a couple of metal detecting enthusiasts searching for a Saxon burial ground.

I enjoyed it. looking forward to season 2!

Saw the second episode of The Missing last night.

I think this is going to be a great series. Maybe one of the best in a while.

Thanks for that Patsycat, it's hard to keep up sometimes.

In the meantime, for all of you BBC crime lovers, am half way through

a 4 part series called What Remains and I have to say it's pretty pretty good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2649588/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Just finished Episode 4.

It got a little slow through the back of 2 and 3, but Episode 4 turned it into a cracker!

• Like 2

I enjoyed it. looking forward to season 2!

Me too! Due to be aired late next year I think. Shame it's only 6 episodes.

Impressive writing and directorial debut from Macenzie Crook and excellent performances all round.

• Like 1

I just love the way the Brits and the Aussies can do an American accent in any Series or Film. Look at Broadchurch and Gracepoint. Same actor with an American accent. Mentalist etc.

I, even thought, for years that Keith Urban was American till he opened his mouth... I love his music.

But try to get an American actor to do the same thing!! Failure.

I gave up on the Aussie series for now - But have found a film called Red Dog, which i shall watch tonight. Reading about it, right up my street - animal lover and all that. If it makes me cry...

Just waiting to dl the "one before the last" episode of Missing. I flutter around the download sites like a bat!!!

Edited by Patsycat
  • Like 1

Wrong. I had a British woman in my shop a few days ago telling me that some American actors are just as good in reverse. She mentioned several names, but the one that I remember was Meryl Streep as Maggie Thatcher. She said the accent was spot on. Apparently, the Guardian newspaper agrees.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2011/jul/07/meryl-streep-iron-lady-margaret-thatcher

• Like 2

I just love the way the Brits and the Aussies can do an American accent in any Series or Film. Look at Broadchurch and Gracepoint. Same actor with an American accent. Mentalist etc.

I, even thought, for years that Keith Urban was American till he opened his mouth... I love his music.

I gave up on the Aussie series for now - But have found a film called Red Dog, which i shall watch tonight. Reading about it, right up my street - animal lover and all that. If it makes me cry...

Just waiting to dl the "one before the last" episode of Missing. I flutter around the download sites like a bat!!!

Hmmm...I think Gillian is doing a fantastic job in The Fall.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls056939038/

Let's not forget Spinal Tap? 5555555

And of course there's this:

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/films/9-british-actors-who-cant-do-american-accents

• Like 1