Vanilla!

"Madagascar and Indonesia produce two-thirds of the world's supply of vanilla." So, if it grows in Indonesia you might have a chance of growing it here. Apparently it grows between sea level and 1,500m above sea level.

This article on wikipedia is an interesting read (just in case you haven't read it yet): 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There was a discussion a few years back about growing vanilla and I heard someone in Chiang Mai was successfully growing it. Not sure if they continue the project. I too am interested in growing vanilla but will test if it grows in Isaan.

Djayz, I’m in touch with someone in Thailand that sells 20cm bare root cuttings, I’m trying to haggle them down.
Got some high end seeds and the equipment to have an attempt at germinating these things and I’m so looking forward to that...... just by chance I make the small labs that the pros use to germinate the seeds but on a bigger scale.... going for 1000 this time and if I do it I’ll try more.
I will post more with photos when I start.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Thanks 1

growing for fun or profit? cuttings are very slow to take, plant only on top of compost and shade, moist but not ever floodimg. takes about 3 months to root and send new growth. They can be prolific once established, climbing to the top of bamboo trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 1 month later...

You can get Vanilla Plants in the Pattaya Botanical Garden from Hans Fritschi.

He has all kind of worldwide exotic plants.

I took 2 Vanilla plants from him just for curiosity and they grow as mad.

Funny for an orchid, If they grew high enough you just bend them down and they continue growing downwards till you bend them up again.

Growing here in Pattaya as mad in half shade till 3/4 sun..   

4 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

The Thai vanilla plants grow well but take a long time to flower 3 plus years.... also the flavor probably isn't as good as other vanilla plants.

I am not sure but he brings actually all plants from his travels around the world so I estimate he has bought them from Mexico or Madagascar.

Best is ask Hans and make an appointment. He will show you around, you can try his home made Chocolate and whenever I visit him he takes all time to explain all plants he has

http://discovery-garden.net/contacts-location/

9 hours ago, See Will said:

I am not sure but he brings actually all plants from his travels around the world so I estimate he has bought them from Mexico or Madagascar.

Best is ask Hans and make an appointment. He will show you around, you can try his home made Chocolate and whenever I visit him he takes all time to explain all plants he has

http://discovery-garden.net/contacts-location/

Very interesting - I very much like buying unusual plants

That is right as long you can't persuade the  bees only living in Mexico to invade Thailand for vanilla pollination.

You need to be sharp when the flower opens, get a toothpick and pollinate by hand. 

A young vanilla worker found it out and increased the production drastically. 

Looks that the even the bees are not that sufficient... 

@TravelerEastWest the Discovery garden Pattaya looks small but its a gold mine for exotic plants. 

Beside Vanilla you can buy trees from Baobab, Soursop, Mini Guava that taste like strawberries, Cannonball trees, a huge range of Bamboo and Bananas to Cocoa. A Paradise for collectors..

On 5/27/2018 at 12:00 AM, djayz said:

Out of curiosity, where would one buy quality vanilla plants? 

Are you kidding?  Just buy a bottle of it and bury it in your backyard.  Then wait.  I almost forgot, make sure you unscrew the cap before placing it in the freshly dug hole.

th.jpg

Edited by TonyClifton
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1