NRA names Oliver North, known for Reagan-era scandal, as president

webfact

NRA names Oliver North, known for Reagan-era scandal, as president

2018-05-07T190334Z_1_LYNXMPEE461EQ_RTROPTP_4_USA-GUNS-TRUMP.JPG

US Marine Corps Lt. Col. (Ret.) Oliver North speaks at an NRA convention in Dallas, Texas, U.S. May 4, 2018. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

(Reuters) - The National Rifle Association on Monday named as its next president retired U.S. Marine ColonelOliver North, a conservative commentator best known for his central role in the 1980s Iran-Contra affair.

The group named North following its weekend annual meeting in Dallas, where President Donald Trump vowed not to tighten U.S. firearms laws despite suggesting earlier this year that he would take on the NRA in the wake of a mass shooting at a Florida school. 

"Oliver North is a legendary warrior for American freedom, a gifted communicator and skilled leader," NRA Chief Executive Wayne LaPierre said in a statement. "In these times, I can think of no one better suited to serve as our president."

North, 74, who already serves on the NRA's board of directors, was a pivotal figure in the Iran-contra affair involving secret sales of arms to Iran by Republican President Ronald Reagan's administration and the unlawful diversion of the proceeds to Nicaraguan rebels.

North, who was a White House National Security Council aide, set up a weapons pipeline to the rebels even though Congress had forbidden military aid to them. North was convicted of three felonies in 1989, but his convictions were overturned on appeal in 1990 because witnesses in his trial may have been influenced by congressional testimony he had previously given under a grant of immunity from prosecution.

North has been a conservative radio talk show host and frequent commentator on conservative television networks since.

He is stepping down from his commentary role at Fox News television, the NRA said in its statement.

The NRA said its current president, Pete Brownell, planned not to seek a second term. Brownell serves as CEO of Brownells Inc, a maker of firearm parts, accessories and ammunition.

The February massacre of 17 teens and educators at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, had seemed to mark a turning point in America's long-running gun debate, sparking a youth-led movement for tighter gun controls.

Trump said in the days following the massacre that politicians have to disagree with the NRA "every once in a while."

But since then, no major new federal gun controls have been imposed, although the Trump administration is pursuing a proposed regulatory ban on "bump stocks," which enable a semi-automatic rifle to fire a steady stream of bullets. The devices were used in an October 2017 mass shooting in Las Vegas that killed 58 people.

North, long a hero to some on the political right, lost as a Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate from Virginia in 1994 after former first lady Nancy Reagan publicly said that North had a "great deal of trouble separating fact from fantasy" and "lied to my husband and lied about my husband."

(This story refiles to use North's last name in 2nd paragraph instead of first name.)

(Reporting by Bernie Woodall in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; Additional reporting by Will Dunham in Washington; Editing by Scott Malone and Leslie Adler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-08
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

So in short

He's a renowned and proven liar

He is a maverick who disobeys orders

He likes to line his own pockets

My only surprise is that trump hasnt hired him for a cabinet position

He ticks all the boxes for a trump confidante

...and a talk show host

4 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

So in short

He's a renowned and proven liar

He is a maverick who disobeys orders

He likes to line his own pockets

My only surprise is that trump hasnt hired him for a cabinet position

He ticks all the boxes for a trump confidante

Trump would no hire him because he disobeys orders, otherwise as you state Trump could not find a bigger turd.

The NRA wanted John Bolton until he nailed the National Security Advisor post.  Their second choice was Kanya West.  Oliver North?  Bloody hell!  You can't make this sh*t up.

Still waiting for the house and senate to introduce a bill reinstating slavery.

Nothing out of America surprises me anymore.

• Thanks 1

North should do well.

Supplying arns to nut jobs that will use them to harm innocents.

Thousands of innocents in Nicaragua went to their graves thanks to him.

It appears that supplying arms to cowards and bullies makes you a patriot.

What a world we live in

I suspect all of you naysayers watch CNN as your major source of news. The "deep state" is alive and well in your hearts. The U.S. became the greatest nation the world has ever known through separation of powers in government, moral principles taught in education, capitalism in economics, freedom of religion, and the rule of law. All these traditions have been guaranteed, in part, by the Second Amendment, giving people the ultimate deterrent to despotism. Why else do politicians want to deny gun rights? It is a threat to their ambitions for power.
Somebody has been drinking NRA KoolAid...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, dzodun said:

I suspect all of you naysayers watch CNN as your major source of news. The "deep state" is alive and well in your hearts. The U.S. became the greatest nation the world has ever known through separation of powers in government, moral principles taught in education, capitalism in economics, freedom of religion, and the rule of law. All these traditions have been guaranteed, in part, by the Second Amendment, giving people the ultimate deterrent to despotism. Why else do politicians want to deny gun rights? It is a threat to their ambitions for power.

And I suspect you watch MNN (Macedonian News Network)

• 2 months later...
On 5/8/2018 at 11:03 AM, bristolboy said:

I think you're all being unfair to North. He's actually well qualified. As we know from Iran-Contra, he's an experienced gun-runner.

Yes, and the NRA is apparently financially challenged these days with "donations" from Russia to a two-year low, so...

HUMOR

Oliver North Vows to Raise Money for the N.R.A. by Selling Arms to Iran

FAIRFAX, VIRGINIA (The Borowitz Report)—Asserting that “heroic measures” were needed to save the National Rifle Association from financial catastrophe, the N.R.A.’s president, Oliver North, announced plans to sell arms to Iran.

“Iran needs weapons, and, Lord knows, we have a lot of weapons lying around,” North told reporters on Sunday. “This is the definition of a win-win.”

North said that he came up with the idea of selling arms to Iran because “the Iranians were always great to deal with” and “never cared where the money was going to.”

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/oliver-north-vows-to-raise-money-for-the-nra-by-selling-arms-to-iran