Good Photo Printer

I use to own a Epson L110 printer, but it kept drying up from lack of use.  Switched to a Canon IP7270.  So far the Canon has not dried up.  However, I am not happy with the quality of the photo.  If you hold the photo up to the light you see scuffs and scratches.  The printer is too rough on the surface of the photo.  I tried "prevent paper abrasion" setting, but still the problem.  The Epson I don't remember it being so rough on the photo.  It did have a few pinwheel marks.  The Canon seems to have more pinwheels plus the scuffs.

Can someone recommend a printer that is gentle on the photo?  I'm not against another Canon as long as it doesn't bring the same problem.

Thanks.

Those inkjet printers are generally a pain in xxxx.

I have a Epson L210 with huge tanks as standard which is nice, keeping printing cost down as you buy re-fill bottles and top up the tanks.

However: As your old Epson; the nozzles dries up, I leave mine for unused for 2 month when going overseas working and my wife don't do any printing.

Further: The original ink starts to fade away app 2 month after I print a A4 photo, so I started laminating them but it don't look so nice.

I am now thinking about getting my selected photos printed at a photo shop and buy a laser printer instead.

The 7270 was cheap, so I thought maybe I needed to spend more money.  So, just a week ago purchased a Canon Pro 100.  Still have same problem which blows my mind.  The Pro 100 is suppose to be famous.  On 180gsm paper it did well.  I was happy.  On 230gsm just as bad as the 7270.  The pizza wheel marks and scuffs were just as bad.  

I'm thinking it is something I am doing wrong.  The pro 100 is praised by so many people as being great.  What would be frustrating is to find out the 7270 was fine and I spend all that money for a second printer.  Now I've got to figure out what I am doing wrong.  

Thanks for your response.

On 5/12/2018 at 8:59 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

I am now thinking about getting my selected photos printed at a photo shop and buy a laser printer instead.

In agreement with this - ink jet has a very short display life in my experience here in Thailand - fade time to zero is months (even if using gold priced makers ink that they claim is resistant).  Have had much better results with even cheap photoshop printing.

I'm going to try the photo shop route and see how that goes.  Can anyone recommend a shop?  I checked on the internet and found some shops, but only one that had a price list that I can find.  I'm looking for basically 8 x 10's and the one shop wanted 25 baht.  Not sure how that price compares.  

As far as the photos lasting, I've seen sold UV sprays that are suppose to protect the photo and make them last longer.  Problem is even if the spray does protect, the picture looks better without the spray at least what youtube videos test results I saw.   However, I purchased a clear can of varnish from B2S they recommended and it has seemed to work real well.  In fact I tried it on a couple of pictures I have the trouble with the pizza wheel marks and the scuffs and it cleared them up.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Too early to tell 100%, but it has promise.  It may be varnish will crack and yellow over time.  Small can was only 50 baht.  A can of protectant made specifically for protecting photos is 750 baht.  Question is will varnish make the pictures last longer.

Archived